New Resistance: Fall Of Man Screens

Here's a MTV report from that demonstration in New York - it was actually 50 minutes long.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1539078/20060821/index.jhtml?headlines=true

It has some new details about weapons and motion-sensing uses, some smack-talk, and how much disc space the game currently uses on Blu-ray (22GB).

This guy may be a bit overhyped, but he did nail the 20-22GB Resistance:FoM info. Makes you wonder about the rest of his rant:

This brings me to BluRay, a controversial topic on this forum as of late. Remember when I was talking about the 360s disc capacity and how it ****ed up Oblivion? Some of you will remember, because I got flamed pretty hard for that (OMG it still looks great, the PC version is the same, waa waa, don’t criticizes my console). The Xbox totally ****ed up Oblivion, you can look at the textures and tell where Bethesda cut corners to make it fit on the disc.

As a quick side note, Bethesda is working on a special edition of Oblivion just for PS3. We were shown some screenshots (sadly, not the actual game) and it looks like an entirely different game. Every texture is being replaced with new extremely-high resolution ones. It’s basically what Bethesda wanted to do the first time until they ran into the DVDs capacity limit. BluRay fixes that little bottleneck.

Those DVDs you love so much, they’re the reason PS3 games are going to ****ing destroy anything available on the 360. 85% of the games currently in development for PS3 will not fit on a single DVD9. To give you an idea of the implications, Resistance: Fall of Man is currently 20GB, and is expected to ship at around 35GB. Publishers are not being forced to use BDs, but it’s expected that 95% of all PS3 games will use BD discs. The big exception is EA, who uniformly develops for the lowest common denominator. Sony is dedicated to helping companies develop for the superior PS3 then downgrade for the weaker systems. The fruits of this labor won’t be seen for another year at least.

There was a demo, side by side, of an upcoming sports game (can't tell you which one). One was playing on 360 (DVD9) connected to an HDTV running at 720P. The same game was running on a PS3 (BD50) on an identical HDTV at 720P. The differences were unbelievable, simply because the BD has the space to hold all those extremely high resolution textures. The 360 could probably handle them, but they just plain won't fit on the disc. This is just one example of how storage capacity is hurting the 360. Of the parade of developers that spoke to us, the BDs capacity was the number one item of praise. No more having to cut corners or find creative ways to make your game fit on the disc. DVDs are just plain obsolete when you're talking about High-Definition hyper-detailed 3D environments.
-aldo

I wouldn't view that as lending credence to his claims. Throw out enough guesses and you'll be right some of the time. That rumour is infecting nearly every thread now!

I wouldn't view that as lending credence to his claims. Throw out enough guesses and you'll be right some of the time.
Perhaps. I do think the guy could have come off a bit more credible had he not resorted to all the expletives and fanboi comments. I don't see how a guy like this would be allowed to be privy to such information. That's one of the main things that keeps me scratching my head about his comments.

But it is a bit astonishing that he happened to single out Resistance: FoM along with the 20GB info just days before Insomniac made it public. Why pick that game? Why pick that number? What are the odds?

-aldo

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think I'd get anywhere if I email Insomniac asking them to confirm what MTV said was correct :)mad: :?: ) and asking what the 22gb is consisting of (Texture, audio, extras etc?)

Probably not....

Do you think I'd get anywhere if I email Insomniac asking them to confirm what MTV said was correct :)mad: :?: ) and asking what the 22gb is consisting of (Texture, audio, extras etc?)

Probably not....

Plenty of people have done so far, no results though. ;)

Alright, I won't bother if others have tried. If they get a responce its bound to spread around the internet anyway.

I'm still curious to what takes up all that space..........Unless theres alot of unique, indivdiual levels with different textures and all.

i'm sure most if not all ps3 game will use lots of high dev cutscenes filling up nicely the Bleuraydisc

i'm sure most if not all ps3 game will use lots of high dev cutscenes filling up nicely the Bleuraydisc

Wasn't it said by Insomniac though that they will use in-game engine for cutscenes? And judging from the new screenshots that have surfaced, its true.

Alright, I won't bother if others have tried. If they get a responce its bound to spread around the internet anyway.

I'm still curious to what takes up all that space..........Unless theres alot of unique, indivdiual levels with different textures and all.

I'm guessing lots of languages on 1 disk

Sound effects, loads of high-res textures, lower compression rates, and yes, I'm guessing also one disc for all regions.

20gb is I think a number that most devs are limiting themselves to, in case only a single layer were to be available. I've heard Epic mention this number as typical for Unreal Engine 3 games, for instance.

By the way, the guy we quoted earlier may also very well be legit, and still be wrong about a fair number of things - heck even Sony themselves aren't always right. ;)

I'm looking forward to this title - Insomniac's reputation for me is not just great technology, but above all, great playability. Technology comes second, but not too distant for me - with a new console it's also nice to be able to see some of the things it can do. ;)

Probably not....
Insomniac forums, I'm sure they will answer your question. Very nice guys over there, theres a couple team members that post regularly.

The original article has been updated to answer your question:

"Schneider offered some distinguishing stats (which he called MTV News on Tuesday to further clarify). The game, he said, currently takes up 22 Gigabytes of memory on a Blu-Ray disc, the new disc format supported by the PS3 that is one-half of a VHS-vs.-Betamax format war erupting between tech companies throughout the year. While the music and vocals in "Resistance" take up only about 1 Gigabyte of disc space, graphics, level data and programming code occupy most of the remaining 21." - MTV, http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1539078/20060821/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Surprising that even PS3 launch games are this huge! 22 GIGS dang..I just hope that Blu-ray will be enough for next gen :)

http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/3929/1066_0004.jpg

Flat shaded, single texture-mapped polygons using low resolution textures and absolutely no advanced techniques like bump mapping, normal mapping or specular mapping.

No advanced lighting, only drop shadows. And half of the stuff in the scene doesn't even cast them.

Looks like Half-Life 2, but worse. Running on my X800XT. A year ago.

Surely PS3 can do better than this?

I don't believe this at all, just an example of a Sony First party 'making the case' for BR.

Of course, this is one of Sony's key differentiators, so they will try very hard to convince gamers it's a distinguishing factor, but 21GB filled with GFX, Level Data and Code? I call bulllshit.

Back