Star Wars: Jedi Survivor [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

RTX 4070 Ti | 5800X3D | 1440p RT ON

Thanks for posting this, this is exactly what my setup would be if I upgrade my CPU. Crazy that the game still won't hold 60fps even on that CPU. Nice to see the 4070Ti isn't really breaking a sweat even at 4K max though, so 60fps locked there should be fine if they sort out the CPU issues.

Very strangely though the GPU utilisation seems to go up when FSR is enabled?? Not sure why that would be but keeping it off seems to be the better bet based on that video.

At 2:30 in the video he says turning on RT increases the CPU bottleneck, which is the expected behaviour.

But it's not expected to see the CPU utilisation go down from 46% to 34%, that's what's weird.

Every other game we've seen on PC with RT increases the CPU utilisation when you enable it.

So to see it decrease is weird.

But it's not expected to see the CPU utilisation go down from 46% to 34%, that's what's weird.

Every other game we've seen on PC with RT increases the CPU utilisation when you enable it.

Not when you only have a couple of engine threads. Main thread gets more work for RT and remaining thread suffers.

Sorry yes I missed the aggregate CPU usage counter. Something weird is happening as prior to the settings change at about 1:40 it is as you say around 46%, but then when he turns RT on (but it's not really on according to GPU utilisation) it drops to about 25%. Then he really turns it on and it's around 35%. Possibly just an issue with changing settings having an unexpected impact on the game performance (wouldn't be the first time). The best way to really test this would be to restart after each setting change.

Sorry yes I missed the aggregate CPU usage counter. Something weird is happening as prior to the settings change at about 1:40 it is as you say around 46%, but then when he turns RT on (but it's not really on according to GPU utilisation) it drops to about 25%. Then he really turns it on and it's around 35%. Possibly just an issue with changing settings having an unexpected impact on the game performance (wouldn't be the first time). The best way to really test this would be to restart after each setting change.

Funnily enough, straight after writing the above post I read this:

What’s crucial to note here, though, is that the game has major issues when changing its graphics settings. At the end of the video, we highlight this issue. Upon disabling and re-enabling RT, our GPU usage, in the exact same scene, drops from 98% to 77%. And that’s precisely why a lot of PC gamers cannot see any performance increase when changing graphics settings. In order to fix this GPU utilization issue, you’ll have to close the game and re-launch it.

In other news:

Funnily enough, straight after writing the above post I read this:

In other news:

Reading the challenges it did sound like a “relaunch the game” type thing. It was behaving without reflecting.

Benchmarks are in, the game is massively CPU limited with Ray Tracing on high end GPUs, at 1080p it can't exceed 120fps. At 1440p, the 4090 is CPU limited. Most GPUs lose exactly ~25% of their performance after activation of ray tracing, regardless of NVIDIA or AMD, Ampere, Ada, Turing or RDNA2/3, it's like RT is running on the CPU here, not the GPU!

Yeah 5800x3d and 3090 here. 1440p ultrawide RT enabled. Always CPU limited, doesn't even touch my 85% power limit for the gpu. Around 60fps usually, drops to 30fps in some cutscenes. Occasional stutters. Using different FSR settings has no impact whatsoever except they lower the GPU usage, so only useful with a weaker GPU :)

RT shadows and reflections look nice. Haven't even tried playing without them.

If you want to skip those godawful 40 second long intro splash screens every time you start the game, go into the game folder, SwGame/Content/Movies and rename Default_Startup.mp4 into something else so it doesnt load the file at startup. The game will launch dirrectly into the shader comp screen

Btw. while FSR does not improve fps on my gimpy 5800x3d cpu, quality mode is noticeably sharper then the "native" taa solution, so it is a no brainer.

Btw. while FSR does not improve fps on my gimpy 5800x3d cpu, quality mode is noticeably sharper then the "native" taa solution, so it is a no brainer.
A sharper image isn't worth huge amounts of ghosting, disocclusion artifacts and shimmer on everything.

Easily worth it for me. I'll go play quake 2 if I want to see bare graphics with no postprocessing artifacts.

Back