Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

On PC nvidia even restricted the CPU acceleration to one core
You need to revise your historical information, this was the old PhysX libraries running on the X87 code path, NVIDIA inherited this from Ageia because most things were single threaded back in the days despite the abundance of multi core CPUs, NVIDIA later developed multi core acceleration and PhysX got picked up to be used in dozens of engines: Unreal, Unity, Northlight (Control), Glacier (Hitman), Crystal (Deus Ex), Luminous (Final Fantasy), RED (Witcher), 4A (Metro), Dunia 2, AnvilNext ..etc.

I remember reading Unity devs clearly stating PhysX was their choice because it's the most stable solution out there.

PhysX accelerated by the GPU is as good as dead.
Surprisingly no, GPU PhsyX is featured in two recent games: Metro Exodus and Atlas, previously GPU accelerated PhysX was restricted to only run through CUDA, later it used DirectCompute, which is available to all GPUs, GPU PhysX kickstarted the concept of using the GPU for physics back when no game dared to do so, right now most games have GPU accelerated particles and other effects through DirectCompute and other alternative APIs.

I really can't remember a thing developed by nvidia that made it into the market as standardized feature. They were never open with their new features and the market had always to develop a new standard in order that everyone could use it.
Most of these things that NVIDIA developed have yet to standardized, and it was never NVIDIA's aim to standardize any of them, they were just advancing graphics/display within their own ecosystem for their customers.

G-Sync is ubiquitous now and is everywhere, despite it being an upgrade over the basic featureless industry standard (VESA). it's an all encompassing solution now, it swallowed FreeSync and became it's own beast, allowing Geforce users to access features not available on other GPUs from other vendors.

TXAA popularized temproal AA, it morphed into TAA later on (without of the MSAA component of TXAA).

HBAO+ is pretty popular and much more widespread than any other SSAO solutions.

Speaking of things that reached standards levels from NVIDIA, I have to mention CUDA, the most widely used API for compute and AI, I also have to mention Optix, the most widely
used API for professional visualization and professional 3D design. I also have to mention Ansel and Highlights, the most widely used photo mode interface on PC.

An honorable mention is 3D vision, it was the only game in town back then before VR replaced all the active 3D glasses.

Of course we now have DLSS, which kickstarted the upscaling revolution on PC, There is also Reflex, the only low latency solution in town.

Very interesting what he found about the changes Guerrilla have done to their TAA method. So according to him before the patch the alpha effects (transparencies) were using CBR which was creating the very strong shimmering. Still according to NXGamer they almost completely removed the shimmering by rendering the alpha effects at a native resolution which also greatly helped their TAA. And they did that wihout changes in performance.

But the improvements are very noticeable on his video. The shimmering before the patch was also incredibly strong. Like, what were they thinking?

Reactions: snc
Maybe this solution was just harder or riskier to implement with their visibility buffer foliage and took time post release

Digital Foundry had their say on this patch in the 64th Direct.

From their written article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...of-play-horizon-update-sonic-frontiers-reveal

We also talk quickly about God of War's FSR 2.0 update and Horizon Forbidden West's new patch which tweaks the presentation of the controversial performance mode. We'll be back with God of War analysis later in the week and we're also keen on revisiting Horizon - though with 40Hz and VRR support coming soon, we may defer our work until that particular updates arrives.

TimeStamp in video at 52:08 starting for both updates.

From their written article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...of-play-horizon-update-sonic-frontiers-reveal

We also talk quickly about God of War's FSR 2.0 update and Horizon Forbidden West's new patch which tweaks the presentation of the controversial performance mode. We'll be back with God of War analysis later in the week and we're also keen on revisiting Horizon - though with 40Hz and VRR support coming soon, we may defer our work until that particular updates arrives.

TimeStamp in video at 52:08 for both updates.

John wasn't that fond of the new patch, it seems after testing it. Though he wanted to look abit more in-depth before coming to final conclusions.

Digital Foundry had their say on this patch in the 64th Direct.

It's amusing that Alex was going on about how The Callisto Protocol looked absolutely amazing and he thought it looked so good that he wasn't sure if they were using real footage of an actual human actor or not and then going on about how it's next gen only, which would explain why it looks so good...

And then John points out that it's also going to release on PS4. :D Just goes to show, cross gen has little to no impact on how good a title can look as long as a studio is willing to put in the work to scale down relevant graphical assets and tech so that it'll run on hardware that is less capable.

Which goes to what I've said, if someone doesn't know it's on previous generation hardware, they'll quite likely think many games look absolutely amazing and only possible on next gen hardware. With absolutely no change in the game they are looking at, if someone then says that it'll also be available on previous gen hardware, suddenly the graphics are no longer fantastic.

I did that with Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank with a friend of mine. Showed them the footage. They thought the games looked amazing. Then I told them that they will be released on PS4 shortly after launch and suddenly they didn't think the graphics looked all that great. :p Then they yelled at me a week later when they realized that I hadn't been completely truthful with them. :D But, by then their brain started to work and they understood the point I was making. So now they try to form their opinions about how good a game looks BEFORE they look to see what platforms the game will be released on.

Regards,
SB

It's amusing that Alex was going on about how The Callisto Protocol looked absolutely amazing and he thought it looked so good that he wasn't sure if they were using real footage of an actual human actor or not and then going on about how it's next gen only, which would explain why it looks so good...

And then John points out that it's also going to release on PS4. :D Just goes to show, cross gen has little to no impact on how good a title can look as long as a studio is willing to put in the work to scale down relevant graphical assets and tech so that it'll run on hardware that is less capable.

Which goes to what I've said, if someone doesn't know it's on previous generation hardware, they'll quite likely think many games look absolutely amazing and only possible on next gen hardware. With absolutely no change in the game they are looking at, if someone then says that it'll also be available on previous gen hardware, suddenly the graphics are no longer fantastic.

I did that with Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank with a friend of mine. Showed them the footage. They thought the games looked amazing. Then I told them that they will be released on PS4 shortly after launch and suddenly they didn't think the graphics looked all that great. :p Then they yelled at me a week later when they realized that I hadn't been completely truthful with them. :D But, by then their brain started to work and they understood the point I was making. So now they try to form their opinions about how good a game looks BEFORE they look to see what platforms the game will be released on.

Regards,
SB
The opposite thing happened with Forbidden West. Everyone was so thrilled at how it's "Next Gen" graphics looked, and then it get announced for PS4.

Several games have had last-gen console versions dropped along the way, and some should have have (Cyberpunk). I would not get my hopes up on how some games will look and/or run on hardware that is almost a decade-old! ;-)

Couldn't decide where to put this so thought in here might be best?

Overclocked PS3 RSX with custom firmware tested.

It's also a really good channel itself, loads of PS2 vs GC vs DC vs Xbox comparisons.

And in shock PS2 holds it's own against GC more than you think going by some of these videos.
video not working

He says its not, but I'm pretty sure the consoles are using reconstruction "interlaced" mode on PS5/XSX... the only difference being that they have a better TAA solution which actually covers it up, unlike PC.. where TAA isn't nearly as robust.

He says its not, but I'm pretty sure the consoles are using reconstruction "interlaced" mode on PS5/XSX... the only difference being that they have a better TAA solution which actually covers it up, unlike PC.. where TAA isn't nearly as robust.
You are very probably right. But I still think PS5 is using a more robust reconstruction solution. I think he probably mistaken the PS5 image as native and didn't investigate much XSX image quality thinking both were identical.

You are very probably right. But I still think PS5 is using a more robust reconstruction solution. I think he probably mistaken the PS5 image as native and didn't investigate much XSX image quality thinking both were identical.
Someone made a comparison of PS5s "native 4K".. as NXGamer says... and PC. Yea, there's no way in hell it's native.. It's definitely being reconstructed.. which means his entire comparison is flawed.

PS5 60fps mode:
5xN11jr.jpg

PC

gDQ68la.jpg

You can obviously tell they're not running at anywhere close to the same internal resolution.

He also claims ps5 runs on average 15 to 20% faster than his 2070. He doesnt match settings, doesnt show anything, just emits this piece of info. I like how he also states that his aging cpu wasnt a bottleneck here, probably due to many people pointing out that his Unreal 5 videos had his PC numbers much lower than what they should be. People with similar of weaker rigs than his offered him pics and videos with much better framerates. He mainly glossed over those.

He also says when his own footage shows a 10% lead for the Series X with RT that its margin of error difference. :)))

He who attacked DF for stealing his ideas. This clown made yet another appearance on this forum, guess we needed a stirred up topic when on the new b3d forum layout.

Back