NPD April 2022

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
Info taken from Mat Piscatella NPD tweets and from VentureBeat @ https://venturebeat.com/2022/05/13/...ces-back-and-lego-star-wars-tops-sales-chart/

Nintendo Switch featured the highest unit sales of any hardware platform for both April and 2022 year-to-date. Xbox Series ranked 2nd in units sold during both time periods.

Xbox Series has generated the highest hardware dollars of any platform year-to-date, followed by PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch.

The Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller remains the best-selling accessory of 2022 year-to-date.

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was the best-selling game of April 2022, while also debuting as the No. 2 best-selling game of 2022 year to date. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was the best-selling game of the month across Nintendo, PlayStation, Xbox, and Steam platforms.

Top 20 Selling Games for April
  1. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Warner Bros. Interactive
  2. Elden Ring Bandai Namco Entertainment
  3. MLB: The Show 22^ Multiple Video Game Manufacturers
  4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land* Nintendo
  5. Nintendo Switch Sports* Nintendo
  6. Call of Duty: Vanguard Activision Blizzard (Corp)
  7. Horizon II: Forbidden West Sony (Corp)
  8. Mario Kart 8* Nintendo
  9. Gran Turismo 7 Sony (Corp)
  10. Pokemon Legends: Arceus* Nintendo
  11. Minecraft Multiple Video Game Manufacturers
  12. FIFA 22 Electronic Arts
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War Activision Blizzard (Corp)
  14. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate* Nintendo
  15. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Sony (Corp)
  16. Animal Crossing: New Horizons* Nintendo
  17. WWE 2K22* Take Two Interactive
  18. Mario Party Superstars* Nintendo
  19. Madden NFL 22 Electronic Arts
  20. Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands* Take Two Interactive
* Digital sales not included
^ Xbox digital sales not included

The same messages we're seeing across the board. The Apparent declines in numbers across the board are a return to norms following a peak year.

Just adding my insights onto what Brit already posted in the OP.

NSW lifetime unit sales have now passed PS4 lifetime unit sales in the US. PS4 should still remain ahead worldwide for a few more months.

While XBS sold more units than PS5, the PS5 generated more dollar sales than XBS consoles. This would indicate that unit sales were probably pretty close between the two rivals unless XBS sales were predominantly XBS-S.

Just to throw on my cheerleader hat. Elden Ring still performing well. 2nd for the month, first for 2022, and has now passed COD: Vanguard for 1st in the rolling 12 month period.

While Elden Ring is selling much better than COD, COD did make a bit of a comeback in the rankings moving from 9th in Mar. to 6th in Apr. for COD: Vanguard while COD: BOCW surged back into the charts to take the 13th spot.

The Energizer bunny keeps going, Minecraft up to 11th in Apr. from 14th in Mar.

Not unexpected for a racing title that had some controversy in its launch month, but GT7 fell to 9th from 2nd.

Spider-Man: MM seems to be the tentpole PS5 IP at the moment as it continues to sell well and re-entered the top 20 at 15th.

Somewhat surprising to me, Tiny Tina's Wonderland is already on the verge of dropping off the charts at 20th for Apr.

Regards,
SB

While XBS sold more units than PS5, the PS5 generated more dollar sales than XBS consoles. This would indicate that unit sales were probably pretty close between the two rivals unless XBS sales were predominantly XBS-S.
Xbox sold more units than PlayStation & had higher hardware dollars of any platform year-to-date.

dropping off the charts at 20th for Apr.

Their first DLC was pretty bad to the point where I saw places calling them out for it. That really makes the base game seem to cost more when their pushed package is that highest tier $90. The next tier below is $70 for current-gen. Normally that would seem like a deal to get season pass for just $20 more. However they're delivering even worse content than BL2 Season Pass 2 did. Too many burned by that so now they're rightfully reserving judgment and passing on TTW.

They already had a 20% off sale last week. I still didn't purchase it. I figure the entire $90 will be on sale for $40 or so before the end of the year.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n49405/tiny-tinas-wonderlands-dlc-xbox

One thing I didn't mention in my post above, Xbox hardware revenue increased a whopping 91% for Q1 when compared to a year ago. This is despite a 15% YOY decrease in hardware revenue for Q1 when all console players are accounted for.

Basically this means that NSW hardware revenue and PS5 hardware revenue likely had a larger than 15% decrease as the Xbox hardware revenue was offsetting a larger decline due to the NSW and PS5.

Xbox sold more units than PlayStation & had higher hardware dollars of any platform year-to-date.

For the year, yes. The quoted part was for the month of April.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: Jay
One thing I didn't mention in my post above, Xbox hardware revenue increased a whopping 91% for Q1 when compared to a year ago. This is despite a 15% YOY decrease in hardware revenue for Q1 when all console players are accounted for.

Basically this means that NSW hardware revenue and PS5 hardware revenue likely had a larger than 15% decrease as the Xbox hardware revenue was offsetting a larger decline due to the NSW and PS5.

For the year, yes. The quoted part was for the month of April.

Regards,
SB
Do we have any indication how much PS5 digital edition is being sold?

I haven't run across any new reports regarding that. All I'm aware of was the rumors from launch that Sony weren't making very many PS5 DEs.

Regards,
SB
From consumers POV may be nice to have the option.
For Sony they probably don't save much on parts and make more on disc edition. So may as well just make as much of those as possible.
Once they can meet demand then they can go after the more price conscious customer.

Just adding my insights onto what Brit already posted in the OP.

NSW lifetime unit sales have now passed PS4 lifetime unit sales in the US. PS4 should still remain ahead worldwide for a few more months.

Just to throw on my cheerleader hat. Elden Ring still performing well. 2nd for the month, first for 2022, and has now passed COD: Vanguard for 1st in the rolling 12 month period.

While Elden Ring is selling much better than COD, COD did make a bit of a comeback in the rankings moving from 9th in Mar. to 6th in Apr. for COD: Vanguard while COD: BOCW surged back into the charts to take the 13th spot.

The Energizer bunny keeps going, Minecraft up to 11th in Apr. from 14th in Mar.

Not unexpected for a racing title that had some controversy in its launch month, but GT7 fell to 9th from 2nd.

Spider-Man: MM seems to be the tentpole PS5 IP at the moment as it continues to sell well and re-entered the top 20 at 15th.

Somewhat surprising to me, Tiny Tina's Wonderland is already on the verge of dropping off the charts at 20th for Apr.

Regards,
SB

It would make sense that the PS5 made more than the Xbox series in April. The xbox series is $300 and $500 and the PS5 is $400/$500. Its impossible to know the ratios of these unless one company comes out and tells us. But there is only a $100 gap in pricing of the ps5 models and a $200 gap in the xbox models. More so I believe there were a few places that had the series s on sale for even less like woot

What is interesting to me is that the xbox hardware made more over the year than the ps5. Like I said there is a $200 gap between units. So Xbox series might be outselling ps5 in the USA by a large margin

Back