Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

There is plenty of room for the villages to be invaded to have backwards corrupt government and clergy, and for friendships and mutual respect to develop. I presume They will focus test the heck out of this game as usual [emoji16]

Says a fair amount about what I like about AC that I wizzed through the video to look at the map screen bits. :)

Ivor looks a bit po-faced. Hopefully across the game he/she is has some of Kassandra's charisma. The viking rap battles have me holding out hope.

This is the PC version because of the 60 fps. This is a work in progress and this is the first current-gen AC with tons of vegetation. I think if it is like AC Odyssey they use Ultra preset on Xbox Series X. This is the only way the game is not 4k 60 fps on XSX on very high AC Odyssey run at 4k 69 fps on average on a PC with a i7-8700k and a 2070 Super.

https://www.gpucheck.com/compare-ga...-8700k-3-70ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-8700k-3-70ghz

EDIT: It will be interesting to compare it to Horizon Zero Dawn PC version. I am not sure the game looks better than HZD or Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:
The facial tech, speaking animation and expressions seemed very antiquated.

The facial tech, speaking animation and expressions seemed very antiquated.

A lot of it feels like it's, well, struggling visually. The general animations are still top notch, as usual for Ubisoft. But overall it feels like the visuals are struggling to do more than the old consoles can handle. It's like they're trying to push more detail in close and that just makes you notice the ground and walls are rather flat and the lighting is rather diffuse and a bit blobby. Meanwhile looking back at Oddyssey, the walls and ground and etc. are still flat and low poly and such. But the world design feels more sparse, like the art was built with limitations in mind and so it all blends well together.

The attempts at faking detail make it worse too, it looks almost like the art was designed for tesselation but then the demo is running on a PS4 or something, so what are supposed to be large rocks sticking out of the ground get flattened into a pancake and it looks weird. The screenspace reflections have incorrect lighting, probably because they don't match up with the fog and maybe even sky correctly, though that can be fixed by launch.

Last edited:
I skimmed through that 30 mins quickly, might watch more of it tonight, but that bit about having to fish to regenerate healths sounds like a good idea on paper but will turn out annoying in the long run.

Agreed. I love the sound of these types of mechanics but prefer that when they are introduced, there are skills/methods to make it go away because having to cart food around with is not really what I want out of an Assassin's Creed game. I don't really want to have to manage a bonkers inventory. The Witcher 3 was the worst with all the types of components but you soon realise that you can ignore 95% of it.

I like RPGs that are balanced that that, stuff there for the people who want it, those who don't have ignore it without too much of a penalty.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla feels more like a Mass Effect / Dragon Age game than an Assassin's Creed game.
They made a game whose previous core gameplay mechanics centered around climbing tall buildings and parkour and stealth assassination in a setting without tall buildings and a character that apparently doesn't do assassinations, so...

I honestly think Ubisoft's absurd resistance into taking Assassin's Creed into the far-east (China, Japan, Mongolia, etc.) is making the series a bit ridiculous at this point.
We should obviously wait for reviews of the game itself, but so far Valhalla doesn't look like a very interesting game that will garner a lot of attention. I still have to play Odyssey and I'll play eventually but this looks like a pass.

Maybe Ubisoft is starting a tradition where the first Assassin's Creed game of each new generation of consoles is used as some sort of pipe-cleaner. Like they did with Unity.

I watched a couple of videos of people who played it and this franchise has definitely gone in the opposite direction I had hoped. Oh well, Cyberpunk my November is yours. :yep2:

We should obviously wait for reviews of the game itself, but so far Valhalla doesn't look like a very interesting game that will garner a lot of attention. I still have to play Odyssey and I'll play eventually but this looks like a pass.
I played Odyssey expecting a mediocre AC game, since I always tried to like the franchise but failed to do so, but I ended spending close to 100 hours into it.
Perhaps if I had played Origins, I wouldn't be as surprised and impressed by it.
Either way, I'll wait for reviews as well for this one.
It looks like it's the same game, with a different setting.

Last edited:
I haven't played any Assassin's Creed since AC3. Just curious, are they still doing the animus/present day stuff?

Back