Gaming PC: Mini ITX Build Help

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
With all the talk of more console games coming to PC I thought I would see what all the fuss is about. I've been a console gamer for almost 20 years. So I'm going to need some major help creating a build.

First things first, I'm on a major budget, but I have strict size & performance requirements. I'm not talking price right now, but if I can't get my size & performance met while in my budget, then I'm sticking with consoles. LOL

I want a small HTPC form factor. Doesn't need to be as small as a my XB1X or XB1S, but no bigger than the XB1 fat? I won't be connecting it to a PC monitor, so it needs to be small enough to move to my living room or bedroom TVs. So I'm thinking the mini ITX form factor will work. Don't need any 1/2 height bays, but I want USB ports on the front. Nothing flashy. So no need for clear windows or internal lights. Would be nice to be able to mount it horizontal or vertical. Though that XBSX square tower form factor is really neat. Max 12"(30cm) deep is needed, so it can sit on my wall shelves. I think that shouldn't be a problem since I'm not installing any DVD or Bluray drives. It does need to have enough room for extra quiet fans though.

Next, my performance requirements. Since I have to use a TV for my monitor, gaming in 1080P is probably all that is necessary. Though one of my TVs is 4K(55" TCL R615). It won't be my primary display though, the 1080p TV in my bedroom will be. With that said, I would like to play games at 60fps with better than Xbox One X quality settings. Not planning on VR either. I could go either Intel or AMD for the CPU. Don't really care there. But I would like to stay with AMD graphics. No NVIDIA whatsoever. This is a stupid question, but are there any Intel or AMD integrated graphics capable of beating a Xbox One X at 1080p? Wouldn't think so, but again, I haven't kept up with the PC industry for 20 years. Upgrading graphics later would be nice. I might eventually want to see what all the fuss is with ray tracing.

What about RAM? No clue where to even start. 16GB minimum? What kind?

Storage is next. I want to go with some SSD for storage. As it's only going to be used for gaming, I don't need a lot of storage. I can always get a cheap external USB hard drive to store the games, then move them over to the SSD when I want to play. What's the bare minimum size? 250gb, 500gb or higher? Lots of different acronyms I don't understand(M.2, PCIe, Gen3, Gen4, etc). I could start slow & cheap now, then upgrade to a bigger faster module later.

With all those requirements am I so out of touch? LOL If Microsoft made the XBSX capable of running Windows this would be moot, but I seriously don't see that happening. My goal here is to transition from console gaming back to PC gaming. I don't expect I will be streaming on Twitch/Mixer or play VR games. I will be playing games mainly with a Xbox controller on a TV. Secondary use could include using Photoshop or hooking up a Cricut or 3D printer. Stuff I can't do easily on my Chromebook, if at all. In fact, I'm playing with the idea of remotely accessing the PC via my Chromebook when the TVs are in use. Going to do some research on that.

Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated.

Tommy McClain

mini itx
6.7 × 6.7 in (170 × 170 mm)
Is micro atx out of the question ? (it will give you a lot more options)
9.6 × 9.6 in (244 × 244 mm)

Are you against an external graphics card ?

16GB minimum? What kind?
I'd say yes (although right now you can use 8gb) ddr4

it's only going to be used for gaming, I don't need a lot of storage
You know I'm going to disagree with that, we've just had the first p.c game to hit 150gb

be aware many of these small cases dont take atx psu's they use sfx

Last edited:
mini itx
6.7 × 6.7 in (170 × 170 mm)
Is micro atx out of the question ? (it will give you a lot more options)
9.6 × 9.6 in (244 × 244 mm)

Yeah, definitely against a micro atx. Need it fit in a small case less than 8 liters?

Are you against an external graphics card ?

Yes. I need 1 device that's small & portable.

I'd say yes (although right now you can use 8gb) ddr4

Yeah, looks like minimum will be 16gb.

You know I'm going to disagree with that, we've just had the first p.c game to hit 150gb

Wow! I'm looking at 500gb minimum now. Seen builds with a mix of multiple different types of SSD drives: 2.5" 256gb SATA III for boot & dual 512gb M.2 NVME for storage. Don't understand why that's necessary.

be aware many of these small cases dont take atx psu's they use sfx

Fine with SFX. Want small form factor.

Tommy McClain

When are you planning on purchasing? The 7nm Ryzen 4000 series APUs could be quite compelling gaming HTPCs at 1080p. Not sure about matching XBoneX though.

When are you planning on purchasing? The 7nm Ryzen 4000 series APUs could be quite compelling gaming HTPCs at 1080p. Not sure about matching XBoneX though.

This is more of a research project for now. :) I need to get the performance & size right first. Then, if the price isn't right, then I could wait longer if needed. I'm in no hurry to buy right now.

Tommy McClain

BTW looked into the Ryzen 4000 series APU & it looks like they're only for laptops. Don't see any desktop variant. I did research the Ryzen 5 3400G APU & it looks like it's based on older CPU/GPU. So it's not beating a Xbox One X. Looks like it would replace a regular Xbox One though. So it looks like the APU route is not going to meet my requirements. I will need a discreet GPU. I definitely need some hints on where to start.

As for cases I might go the custom laser cut acrylic route. I don't think I'm going to find a case that fits my exact requirements. Back to researching.

Tommy McClain

Not sure on your timeline or MS's ... I'd maybe wait until details of Lockhart come out, if its not targetting consoles it might be a nice fit for small form factors.

BTW looked into the Ryzen 4000 series APU & it looks like they're only for laptops. Don't see any desktop variant.
Not yet but I believe they're planned for release later this year.

Wow! I'm looking at 500gb minimum now.
The correct answer is "Wow! I'm looking at 4TB minimum now."

Seen builds with a mix of multiple different types of SSD drives: 2.5" 256gb SATA III for boot & dual 512gb M.2 NVME for storage. Don't understand why that's necessary.
I think you'll find its 1 M.2 nvme for boot (expensive but fast) and multiple sata 3 ssd's (lower price per gb)

There are slimline itx cases which shouldnt be any bigger than an xbox : 380 x 87 x 370 (WxHxD mm)
enI8ciW.jpg

ps: The new call of duty is 164gb

Yeah I found that video in my searching. That's why I'm now considering the Lazer3D cases now. I loved how modular it is & putting it together looks like fun. Reminds of my first custom PC build in the 80s. However, not a big fan of the profile(fat & cubic). But I did find one that I'm looking at now: the Lazer3D CG7 Cravo, but the big problem is that it's not tall enough to allow full height graphics cards. :/ Still continuing my case search.

The correct answer is "Wow! I'm looking at 4TB minimum now."

I think you'll find its 1 M.2 nvme for boot (expensive but fast) and multiple sata 3 ssd's (lower price per gb)

4TB is probably too much. I will consider 500gb M.2 NVME for my boot, and at least 2TB on 1 SATA3 SSD. I can add more later.

There are slimline itx cases which shouldnt be any bigger than an xbox : 380 x 87 x 370 (WxHxD mm)
enI8ciW.jpg

Nahh. Too deep for my needs. I need it around 10" or 25cm. My shelf 12" or 30cm deep.

ps: The new call of duty is 164gb

Wow! Have never played COD game. Currently playing Borderlands 3, which I just found out is not on PC yet. Things are not looking good for my build. May have to go super cheap just to get my foot in.

Tommy McClain

Haha this is just great.

Guess I was wrong. I couldn't find it on Steam because it's only on Epic store exclusively. Exclusivity on PC games stores is something I hadn't even considered. Not sure I like double dipping. Going to have to revisit this once XBSX launches.

Tommy McClain

Guess I was wrong. I couldn't find it on Steam because it's only on Epic store exclusively. Exclusivity on PC games stores is something I hadn't even considered. Not sure I like double dipping. Going to have to revisit this once XBSX launches.

Tommy McClain
FYI this was not a dig at you, merely a jab at the PC situation atm.

some possible components and future consoles have no chance.

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 Ghz -or wait for 4000 series-

MOBO Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

RAM Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16

WD Blue 3D Nand SSD SATA 1TB

Seagate IronWolf NAS 4TB SATA3

GeForce RTX 2060/2070/2080/2080Ti

and at least 2TB on 1 SATA3 SSD
Thats better, 500gb is 3 games and windows

Cyan
Disagree with your choice of wd blue, it's m.2 sata not nvme.
compare the specs to the wd black

WD Blue £54.99
- Sequential Read up to (MB/s): 560
- Sequential Write up to (MB/s): 530
- Random Read up to (IOPS): 95k
- Random Write up to (IOPS): 84k

WD Black £86.99
- Sequential Read up to (MB/s): 3470
- Sequential Write up to (MB/s): 2600
- Random Read up to (IOPS): 420k
- Random Write up to (IOPS): 380k

EDIT:
There are also nvme versions of the wd blue (my apologies)

Last edited:
Yeah, definitely against a micro atx. Need it fit in a small case less than 8 liters?

Yes. I need 1 device that's small & portable.

Years ago I went with matx instead of itx to avoid all the limitations of itx while still having something with a small footprint.

Personally for moving around the house I don't think matx is really that different from itx. Yes your case will be slightly bigger but most of that extra volume is vertical, the actual footprint doesn't change much.

The advantage is that you can fit all the hardware you want and some nice and silent cooling.

That said, it looks like matx isn't getting much love anymore these days.

Maybe a itx board in a small matx case would be an option as well?

Back