AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2017-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are doing that, just to be complicated. GPUs scale down in power when not using them in games.

Secondly, AMD has CPUs w/graphics (Ryzen). Given the level of power needed for your gaming, you might not even need to use your 5 year old R9.

8700k/R9 -> Ryzen APU sounds like a pretty dumb idea TBH.

Windows has built-in support to pick GPU per application. I think AMD and NVIDIA drivers have it too

Certain Vulkan games (DOOM, Wolfenstein II) used to default to Integrated GPU, with no way to change this short of disabling Integrated. This has been fixed in the latest WII patch.

JEDEC updated the HBM standard to support 2.4 Gbps (from Samsung's Aquabolt production) and 12-hi stacks.

Not only did they increase the number of stacks but the maximum density per stack seems to have doubled to 16Gbit.

So 4-stack solutions will now be able to get up to 96 GBytes of total RAM at a whopping 1.23 TB/s.

If there's a Navi card using HBM2, they won't have to worry about VRAM size for different markets even if it only gets 2 stacks.

If there's a Navi card using HBM2, they won't have to worry about VRAM size for different markets even if it only gets 2 stacks.
Let's hope there is none.

AMD's attempts to produce a flagship based on an "exotic memory" have pretty much failed: Tiran - canceled, Fiji - a lab sample full of limitations, VEGA10/20 - well... being a Vega. I wish Navi would be more successful than its predecessors.

64gb+ AMD MI... whatever. 70, 80? Point is 7nm Vega with up to 96gb of memory would could sell for a lot to the right customers. Goodbye being memory bound!

Can't see it as useful in consumer oriented Navi though. But heck, maybe there'll be a corporate oriented Navi down the line.

I hope they will learn from Nvidia and will use more common GDDR6 memory for NAVI and leave HBM to HPC and datacenter only

Why?

High-end, is high end. And the cost of HBM is going down, not up. Not to mention.. HBM chips are getting faster (ie: 1,500 MHz vs 2,400 MHz), not slower. So I do see a market for it, just not on the cheap GDDR6 level. It all depends on what works best with Infinity Fabric 2.0 and Navi uarch.

I honestly do believe that AMD achieved unified memory over the IF2.0 and will use Vega2 design using HBM2 @ 2GHz. With the HBMC at the hart of it all.

*shrugs*

I only see price drops for the cheaper HBM versions (no die buffer/less TSV's) offering 200 GB/sec. Not likely to find these on high end products. Lower price would also depend on HBM adaption rate and competitive alternative products offering similar benefits.

I only see price drops for the cheaper HBM versions (no die buffer/less TSV's) offering 200 GB/sec. Not likely to find these on high end products. Lower price would also depend on HBM adaption rate and competitive alternative products offering similar benefits.

But it really exist or is it vaporware?

Simple maturity of the tech will bring prices down. GDDR6 for mid range cards is fine, but any high end product really should be using HBM to save energy. Not to mention the added bandwidth.

it's just a wishful thinking....

To save energy ? look at the power consumption of Nvidia Pascal/Turing and compare them with Vega. Nvidia doesn't need to use HBM to keep power consumption of their GPUs down and they don't need them to maintain high bandwidth either.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against HBM technology at all, but the technology didn't helped AMD sell more GPUs nor it gave them any advantage over Nvidia. Nvidia quickly realized HBM is more suitable for high margin products while keeping less exotic memory in consumer GPUs maintain their margin high.

I hope AMD have learned the lesson.

it's just a wishful thinking....

To save energy ? look at the power consumption of Nvidia Pascal/Turing and compare them with Vega. Nvidia doesn't need to use HBM to keep power consumption of their GPUs down and they don't need them to maintain high bandwidth either.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against HBM technology at all, but the technology didn't helped AMD sell more GPUs nor it gave them any advantage over Nvidia. Nvidia quickly realized HBM is more suitable for high margin products while keeping less exotic memory in consumer GPUs maintain their margin high.

I hope AMD have learned the lesson.
This post is nothing but hand waving and terrible logic/false eqivalances.

So much hate for HBM in this thread.

HBM1 allowed AMD to make a GPU with a very competitive performance/power ratio compared to Maxwell cards despite using a less efficient chip. HBM2 allowed AMD to make what seems to be the most power-efficient mobile GPU of this generation.

Vega 10 apparently sold very badly according to some.. I guess I live in an alternate universe where, until recently, all Vega 10 cards were constantly sold out despite their price being about twice their MSRP.

Re-read seeking alpha transcript again :

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2046857
Are you somehow trying to pretend the Vega 64/56 wasn't sold out at twice the MSRP for most of its lifetime because a couple of months ago there was overstock due to the mining crash?

Are we also allowed to say the GTX1070 was a failure because nvidia is sitting on a huge pile of those cards?

Convenient post-truths could go either way..

Are you somehow trying to pretend the Vega 64/56 wasn't sold out at twice the MSRP for most of its lifetime because a couple of months ago there was overstock due to the mining crash?

Are we also allowed to say the GTX1070 was a failure because nvidia is sitting on a huge pile of those cards?

Convenient post-truths could go either way..

Yes Vega was sold out. But not because it was most successfull GPU in AMD history nor because it uses HBM. Actually it was mining craze who save Vegas and RTG ass...

GTX1070 was failure ? Well then I agree you trully must live in an alternative universe :)

Yes Vega was sold out. But not because it was most successfull GPU in AMD history nor because it uses HBM. Actually it was mining craze who save Vegas and RTG ass...

You don't really know what made Vega 10 so good at hashing, do you?

GTX1070 was failure ? Well then I agree you trully must live in an alternative universe :)
Whoooosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back