The real PC equivalent of the PS4 console?

The 8th gen consoles were not impressive hardware wise, but PS4's software sure is!
isnt that typical though? I mean, the original Xbox had Doom 3, PGR2, etc. X360 had RDR, Skyrim, Oblivion, GeoW, Xbox One had Ryse, etc etc.

X1900XT Raw GFLOPS is about 426 GFLOPS (depends on exact model and clock).

X1000 Pixel shaders were different in setup compared to Xenos', which were more akin to the X1000 Vertex shader (both are Vect4+Scalar). There's alot of pixel shader power in the X1000s, but it's I guess what could be called a "two stage" pixel shader with a first stage set of ALUs followed by a second set, I guess to probably enable more operations with each pipelined task (quad of pixels?). Probably ended up falling flat, with more games designed around a more consistent set of unified shaders and just skipping one of the stages, essentially getting half usage. Even with all that pixel pushing power, it's a complicated way to set up a shader, when you could just pack on a few homogenous rows of unified shaders that all do the exact same thing.

I understand Beyond3D's real value is in the forum, and the insecurity it creates in various gaming communities (the sub-HD ****storm of 2007 is legendary!) but I would love to see Beyond3D delivering in-depth articles once again.

Last edited:
isnt that typical though? I mean, the original Xbox had Doom 3, PGR2, etc. X360 had RDR, Skyrim, Oblivion, GeoW, Xbox One had Ryse, etc etc.

I was playing some Oblivion on 360 a couple nights ago. God is it rough around the edges nowadays.......compared to vanilla PC version at 1080p maxed out. But I certainly can remember first playing it on 360 in 2006. It was indeed impressive at the time, but plagued with lots of pop-in and world loading hitches that persist to this day.

It is hard to say the more we go further into the generation the minimum PC specs are raised.

Fallout 76 requires a Geforce 780 as minimum GPU.

RDR2 is better than anything we have ever seen and it runs very well at 1080p on the base PS4.

At the beginning of every generation the comparable PC runs games better then with time the console improve its performance and the PC does the opposite. This is always related to how games are optimized for the two different platforms.

Often ps4 versions run at settings not availeble on pc. We have yet to see how Fallout will run on a 7870 pc, spec requirements arent that accurate. A 780 is quite ancient, a mid 2013 product. RDR2 doesnt have a pc-port in sight yet.
Also, this topic was about PC equivalent of the PS4 in what kind of pc hardware matches the console. Software optimizations would offcourse improve things on either platform.

Often ps4 versions run at settings not availeble on pc. We have yet to see how Fallout will run on a 7870 pc, spec requirements arent that accurate. A 780 is quite ancient, a mid 2013 product. RDR2 doesnt have a pc-port in sight yet.
Also, this topic was about PC equivalent of the PS4 in what kind of pc hardware matches the console. Software optimizations would offcourse improve things on either platform.

The 780 was released few months before the PS4 and alone cost 50% than the PS4 at launch.

The fact that sometimes you don't have console like settings on PC is part of the problem.

Well, you have to consider just how badly the GTX 780 and Kepler arch itself has aged, especially compared AMD cards of that era. You can see it really struggling in many newer titles, often hanging out with the 1050Ti!
Also, regarding Fallout 76, while unknown quantity for a few more weeks, I think we can easily expect it to be based on GameBryo and coming off Bethesda, it's probably not the best of titles to compare to RDR2.

Does anyone know if RDR2 is console exclusive due to some contract or timed exclusivity? Just how big is the possibility to see it on PC? AFAIR the code base was a mess on the original, which is why they never went ahead to release it on PC.

The fact that sometimes you don't have console like settings on PC is part of the problem.

Topic starter wondered what kind of pc hw is comparable, and thats well below a 780, its somewhere between a 7850/7870, an i3 or i5 from 2010. Hardware doesnt change, software does. Besides, RDR2 on base ps4/one s isnt all that great to me. Its on especially the X it shines. Game certainly is the king of open world graphics now, surpassing HZD.

Topic starter wondered what kind of pc hw is comparable, and thats well below a 780, its somewhere between a 7850/7870, an i3 or i5 from 2010. Hardware doesnt change, software does. Besides, RDR2 on base ps4/one s isnt all that great to me. Its on especially the X it shines. Game certainly is the king of open world graphics now, surpassing HZD.

The game on XBX is 99% the same but running at 4K res instead of 1080p what are you talking about...

Exactly, its running at a impressive native 4k, and the one X also has the most stable framerate while doing it. From 1080p to native 4k is quite a big jump anyway.

Exactly, its running at a impressive native 4k, and the one X also has the most stable framerate while doing it. From 1080p to native 4k is quite a big jump anyway.

Well 1.8TF/5Gb ram to 6TF/9Gb much faster ram is quite a big jump also ! That's pretty logical !
I don't own a XBX nor a 4K TV, but i wish they would add an enhanced 1080p or 1440p mode on X, adding détails like more foliage or NPCs/animals density, would be even greater to me than just the res bump.

Maybe it's the TAA bluring the image a bit, or maybe it's been me being sick the past few days, but playing RDR2 at 1080p feels constraining. I couldn't help but want to sit much closer to our 42" TV to get the full swath of detail lost in sitting 7 feet away on the couch. Some of the UI elements are a bit hard to read as well, and the more animation dependent nature of the gameplay makes the game feel a bit laggy when it comes to interaction. I've gotten used to the game now, but I haven't felt a need to engage it at every hour of my day. I'm taking things pretty easy and when I do play I tend to spend more time enjoying Rockstar's attention to detail and world building than pursuing the story itself.

As much as I enjoy open worlds, they can be overwhelming at times. It took me a year to just sit down and complete GTAV. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing the same with RDR2.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the TAA bluring the image a bit, or maybe it's been me being sick the past few days, but playing RDR2 at 1080p feels constraining. I couldn't help but want to sit much closer to our 42" TV to get the full swath of detail lost in sitting 7 feet away on the couch. Some of the UI elements are a bit hard to read as well, and the more animation dependent nature of the gameplay makes the game feel a bit laggy when it comes to interaction. I've gotten used to the game now, but I haven't felt a need to engage it at every hour of my day. I'm taking things pretty easy and when I do play I tend to spend more time enjoying Rockstar's attention to detail and world building than pursuing the story itself.

As much as I enjoy open worlds, they can be overwhelming at times. It took me a year to just sit down and complete GTAV. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up doing the same with RDR2.

On what are you playing RDR2? Maybe your used to higher resolutions? :p

Saw RDR2 on PS4, it didnt look blurry but the One X version besides that makes it blurry :)
I think RDR2 shows that we really need a new console generation though!

No. He's saying the One X version makes everything else look blurry, even the PS4.

Yeah thats what i meant, dunno about the Pro version since ive not seen that one running yet. But true also, the One S version is just a blurry mess, seeing it from DF, the framerate isnt anything impressive either. Base PS4 version holds up quite well compared to that, power gap most be quite wide between base One and base PS4?

No. He's saying the One X version makes everything else look blurry, even the PS4.

Sorry, it was a bad transition I made, but I felt like saying it. Xbox One X users got a really nice break with a true 4K poster child. What I gathered from DF is that despite being true 4K, the XB1X rendition is still the most smooth way to play the game. I wonder how much the CPU core speeds are playing into that.

The standard PS4 version still looks fantastic though, and runs fairly well. The quality of the shadows, especially at the beginning with the lanterns in the winter storm looked bloody amazing.

Sorry, it was a bad transition I made, but I felt like saying it. Xbox One X users got a really nice break with a true 4K poster child. What I gathered from DF is that despite being true 4K, the XB1X rendition is still the most smooth way to play the game. I wonder how much the CPU core speeds are playing into that.

The standard PS4 version still looks fantastic though, and runs fairly well. The quality of the shadows, especially at the beginning with the lanterns in the winter storm looked bloody amazing.

The One X really shows its muscles with RDR2, a smooth 30fps at native 4k, with better-than-HZD graphics. Not bad.
Lets not forget its a multiplatform game too, Rockstar is a quite able developer. Cant wait to see more from them.

Back