Far Cry 5 [PS4, XO]

This couldn't appeal less. I loved and completed 3, became bored of 4 after around twelve hours in but loved Primal.

I wonder how they are going to explain away the federal gov't in the form of the FBI not showing up and shutting down a coup of the local gov't in a matter of a few days.

- the community is far from large population centrers of Montana [which is not hard, since the state only has 1 million people total]
- wireless & landlines are cut
- non-cultish population does not easily trust the government
- some goverment officials are under the cult influence and are preventing spreading of true information outside of the county

- the community is far from large population centrers of Montana [which is not hard, since the state only has 1 million people total]
- wireless & landlines are cut
- non-cultish population does not easily trust the government
- some goverment officials are under the cult influence and are preventing spreading of true information outside of the county

The problem is that the game is about two sides in open war with each other. It would be different if we were talking about a group co-opting the local govt thats focused on its own needs and simply harassing the local population not under their control. You actually see evidence of this when it comes to Mormon sects in Utah.

It's another thing to overthrow the local govt and parade around town with guns and cultish symbols and brutalizing people. If you willing to pick up arms to fight back it seems odd that you wouldn't or couldn't be able to spend less than a tank of gas to get to a phone.

Any hint of open warfare is going to bring the federal govt in with the ability to interject militarily.

simple explanation: it's a game, it still more believable than aliens or magic spells !

This argument again. In a setting where aliens and/or magic spells exist, neither of the two are gonna come across as unrealistic and break the immersion.
I agree about the "because it's a silly game" part. Unfortunately this is Ubisoft. Self awareness isn't exactly the strength of the company.

So the biggest game of March is out and no one talks about it. Makes sense, everyone is playing the that 66% Metacritic game instead. ;)

I started FC5 last night, so far it's great. The AI is kind of dumb, but the graphics and sandbox are really cool. It's the first FC with full story co-op so I'm going to play with my friend. Co-op opens up after the liberate the first island.

I was originally gonna skip this due to settings but the raving critics have convinced me of buying it and so far it's been awesome indeed:). It's still by and large a Far Cry game but more streamlined and less cluttered. Some very nice voice acting is evident here and goes a long way of conveying characters. Graphics are top notch, a pretty big step up from Primal and the HDR looks fantastic, I really can't see myself going back to SDR games nowadays.

I was going to get this on PS4 but snagged a free PC copy and I played a few hours last night and plan to play a ridiculous number of hours over the coming Easter weekend. The voice acting is great and the premise all feels worryingly possible in today's crazy world. I absolutely loved the game's opening and I'm liking the balance of me vs. the environment, so far there doesn't seem be be an equivalent to the dread eagle or honey badger which just got annoying in previous games.

Me, my bow and arrows and a while lot of soon-to-be-dead cultists...

PERFECT. :yes:

i bought it and barely played it, it seems good, but i have to wait for a friend to receive his copy so we can play together.

Got a free copy of this. It's alright. Compared to the progress Ubisoft has made with the recent AC, FC5 feels a bit rote and rather tired, though. That I just got my Far Cry fix by playing the fully patched version of Homefront The Revolution has really compounded the issue of course. It's a very similar game, but it's way less redundant. It's not as sprawling of course, but as a result it's much more detailed, curated and meticulously crafted, with an open world reminding me of the wonderful city of Haram from Dying Light. Game felt like a real labor of love. Plus it was only 8 bucks on PSN. I highly recommend it. Nice Cryengine showcase as well.

this game looks stunning, i don't know if i'd put it above Horizon, tough call. I'd say yes because of the realistic approach and setting, and the world feels busier. Great times to be a gamer !

It's pretty remarkable. I think I could quite easily consider it the best looking game of this generation of consoles. I've never really understood why Ubisoft has so many game engines/renderers, but I hope the Division 2 has a similar visual upgrade.

Horizon's environment is much denser tho, more foliage, more NPCs including half million poly machines, herds of machines with individuals reaching to gigantic size, volumetric cloud simulation and higher quality character models in general. I think the more realistic style of FC5 lends itself to be more impressive to some but tech wise Decima is pulling off much more here.
That said FC5 does look incredible at times, mainly during daytime, tho night time is when it looks the weakest as it's missing those gorgeous volumetric lighting from the moon which is what makes Horizon so consistently impressive all the time.

It's pretty remarkable. I think I could quite easily consider it the best looking game of this generation of consoles. I've never really understood why Ubisoft has so many game engines/renderers, but I hope the Division 2 has a similar visual upgrade.
The division uses a different engine which is already IMO Superior to anything else Ubisoft has put out. I'm not sure quite how capable it is for huge open spaces but for the Division it is unsurpassed.

I'm sure Division 2 will be even better.

In my opinion, Horizon looks better, but FC5 is one of the best looking open world along with the Division and Origins.

First party games tend to always win in consistency. For instance, you don't really find these kind of textures in Horizon :

The game is basically Far Cry meet Just Cause meets GTA with a dash of Saints Row IV. And for me, it's surprisingly...really good. I was expecting another tired and contrived open world game, but what we ended up getting is a rethink of how UBIsoft does open world games.

It's a rethink of the entire Open World formula that has become stale over the past few years. Get points of interest from climbing towers (in Horizons case, walking towers. :p) or something else (chefs in FFXV) that unlocks a blizzard of POIs that clutters up the map, do missions, climb more towers to get more POIs, etc.

Instead it takes a page from Guild Wars 2 with more organic mission discovery. The map starts with some general points of interest to start you off (towns, well known local landmarks, etc.) You roam the land doing your thing. You come across an event and rescue someone or liberate a place. The people that you rescue or liberate point you to a POI. Or you just randomly come across the POIs while exploring.

It generally doesn't come across as contrived or holding your hand like something like Horizon, Witcher 3, FFXV or almost all previous UBIsoft open world games

It takes Just Causes schtick of encouraging zany play by giving the player a ridiculous amount of ways to cause general mayhem. Same goes for it's GTA like encouragement of finding ways to do hilarious things with the environment.

And then, while it doesn't go quite as much off the tracks as Saints Row IV (no dildos as weapons), the story is less about reality and more about a parody of reality while touching on the paranoia that some people have about certain stereotypes. Then throw in ridiculous things like a Bear with diabetes called Cheesburger or the ridiculous time trials scattered around.

I loved Far Cry 1, I hated Far Cry 2, I loved Far Cry 3, I got bored of Far Cry 4, and Far Cry Primal was utterly forgettable and bad.

Far Cry 5 is by far the best Far Cry so far and has revitalized the franchise again. IMO, outside of Zelda: BOW, it's by far the best Open World game in the past 10 years as well.

And as icing on the cake it is also arguably the best looking open world game on the market.

I haven't purchased it for myself yet (played at friend's house and watching streams) due to the fact that I almost never finish open world games. But I'm really tempted to get this, and probably will as soon as it goes on sale.

Kudos to UBIsoft that instead of just disbanding the developers of a franchise that was struggling (here's looking at you EA), they instead kept them and allowed them to continue the franchise by not being afraid to discard the mechanisms that used to work and evolve the world mechanics of their open world games.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I still haven't bought the game. I intend to eventually (cause I love Far cry games) but I am still invested into Monster Hunter World !

I am quite sad tough about the lack of towers. I loved climbing those towers !

Back