The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Currently watching a series called Line of Duty
https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/70263817

Can anyone recommend a good crime/cop drama along the lines of the wire or the shield (doesnt have to be recent)
Similar appeal but not technically in the cop drama genre is Sleeper Cell. It turned out the creators also helmed a short lived show I admired a real lot, Brimstone. https://www.netflix.com/title/70142383
Very tense, big budget production values, excellent cast and writing.

Justified is great.

I saw the first season of Happy Valley, a show about a middle-aged woman chief in a little community in Sheffield, UK.

It's on Netflix, it's not bad. Only like 6 episodes per season though.

I love Longmire. A modern day Western set in a fictional northern Montana county. Walt Longmire is the County Sheriff. It's based on a series of books by Craig Johnson. It stars Robert Taylor, Katee Sackhoff, Lou Diamond Phillips & Gerald McRaney. The 6th & final season should air later this year on Netflix. Highly recommended.

Tommy McClain

Oooh, has anyone else been being blown away by this seasons Rick and Morty? OMG is that show hitting all the right notes with me! :LOL:

I was busy fighting off a cold over the weekend and binge-watched The Mist on Netflix. It's based on a Steven King novel, and it also happens to be an archetypical Steven King story: small town + whatever external catalyst you can think of = grievances, no matter how petty, will eventually spiral out of control until seemingly benign humans are perfectly willing to do really nasty shit to each other. The supernatural (or is it?) element just serves as fuse for a powder keg that's been there all along. As for the quality of the thing: God, Netflix shows are becoming a bit infamous for being rather slow burns. The Mist really takes the cake, though. I fast-forwarded through a good chunk of the latter half because it was getting unbearably boring on a regular basis. These characters are not particularly intersting. Much less are they interestingly written. Acting is thoroughly mediocre as well. My advice: skip it and watch two-time King collaborator Frank Darabont's (The Shawshank Redemption, The Grean Mile) great movie with Thomas Jane instead. It packs a far bigger punch and takes a quarter of the running time to get there. It also sports some excellent creature fx for which the Netflix show obviously lacked the budget. This is not a story that merits an 8+ hour running time. Not by a long shot. Heck, it doesn't even commit to an ending and goes the cliff hanger route instead.

Last edited:
I thought it was CBS. Oh maybe they're distributing on Netflix outside the US?
Mericans get the ghetto streaming experience for once. Rest of world get Netflix... :LOL:

(I really shouldn't gloat. It's not nice. :))

So is it really good?

Saw an Ars article referring to the Federation being very different from that portrayed in the other shows and movies.

As always, especially with shows like this with a lot of previous versions and expectations, it's personal opinion. To me it's a very watered down "Star Trek", far more akin to the newer movies than ST of old.

I liked it, I think it's going to show the time that Star Fleet started transforming from mainly exploratory and into defense/attack/exploratory vessels and the militarization of Star Fleet in the 10 years before the original series.

I'm excited, I liked it! I loved the old style ships, the communicators, the type 1 and 2 phasers, and the whole "how the shit with the Klingons got started". I think it has some great potential and I can't wait to see the third episode.

All though one tiny detail bugged me, I thought it was impossible to transport a photon torpedo because they were too unstable in nature to teleport safely? Minor discrepency that jumped out at me, but I was an original series junky for over a decade before the movies came out and the only other series I've liked so far were Next Gen and Voyager. I think it's safe for me to add this one to the list of ones I like, too nostalgic for me and I really think it's well done.

I only saw the first episode OTA & I really liked what I saw. I was going to get the free month trial of All Access to watch the 2nd episode, but the free trial is only a week now. I will probably wait until the first half of the season is available before I try it now.

I can see how it so polarizing. I don't have problem with the changes. I like different. If I wanted the same I'd just watch all the old series. BTW you get every Star Trek episode ever made with All Access. So there should be something for everyone.

Tommy McClain

Finished watching all four seasons of Black Sails after reading about it a couple of pages back.

The first two seasons were kind off meh imo. Especially the rather overdone American accent even though I believe pretty much all of them are either slaves or British...

However the third season was a big step up. The acting and writing got quite a bit better and the story improved as well. Fourth season was pretty good imo. Lots of action and definitely not a predictable story.

I wonder what the budget was for this show. Seems most of it was shot on location (or at least not in a studio) and the ships didn't look like CGI. Of course the navel battles were CGI but a lot of on ship action seems like it was actually shot on board. Same with some of the ships sailing.

Would definitely recommend it if you don't mind biting through the first two seasons.

The only thing that really bothered me was Dickon, I mean Billy Jones. The guys head to body ratio is so weird. His head looks too small for his body. Thought so BEFORE the Dickon episode btw ;)

Back