AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

I still don't get the FE brand. It would make more sense to have a consumer optimized card (gaming) and a pro card (content). This thing seems to try to replicate Nvidias market strategy with the Titan brand but with semi-optimized game drivers... why?

This is curious

f09de6ba8d90fbc511da96d77bdd3920bc39335e5c3ca29595fc814bf946b003.jpg

Why is it recognized as Greenland, when even the AMD drivers separate Greenland from Vega10?

I still don't get the FE brand. It would make more sense to have a consumer optimized card (gaming) and a pro card (content). This thing seems to try to replicate Nvidias market strategy with the Titan brand but with semi-optimized game drivers... why?
"Because the game drivers aren't ready yet" would be the obvious answer

Funny how there wasn't such chaos and grief when NVIDIA didn't send Titan Xp to press (yes, of course new architecture is different thing, but still no-one even shrugged at that)
There was no need, TitanXp has just a small performance bump over TitanX Pascal, which already got sent to every major media outlet at the time of it's release.

[...]
None of those anything to do with BW reduction.
AFAIK, the prefetch size is 32 bytes for both HBM and GDDR5 (and 64 bytes for GDDR5X?) It's just that you trade clock rate for bus width.
[...]
32 bytes for GDDR5 and HBM2, 64 bytes for GDDR5X.

HBM2 does support Pseudo-Channels, if utilized one ca have 16 byte access granularity.
GDDR5X also supports a Pseudo-32-Byte-Mode:
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNEz8cqzg64CDApRXm5CXr5IOwn-Hg&cad=rja

Note that AMD themselves are providing and linking to game drivers for the FE dated 6/27

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/frontier?os=Windows+10+-+64
From said driver's INF file:
;-----------------------------------------------
;----------1706261331-17.20.1035-170624a-315622C-CrimsonReLive

; AMD display information file
;
; Installation INF for the AMD display driver.
; Copyright(C) AMD 2007-2017
;-----------------------------------------------

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Provider=%ATI%
ClassGUID={4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Display
DriverVer=06/24/2017, 22.19.384.2
;;LayoutFile=layout.inf
CatalogFile=C0315622.CAT

Note how 22.19.384.2 shows up in the posted GPU-z of VEGA FE screenshot as well.

Funny how there wasn't such chaos and grief when NVIDIA didn't send Titan Xp to press (yes, of course new architecture is different thing, but still no-one even shrugged at that)
Pascal was already proven at that point. Who knows what's the state of Vega exactly is. A press briefing would have done wonders for damage control.

Then, release it when it's ready?

As written above, that would mean failing the H1 2017 release window which could mean significant repercussions from investors.

Well... which is worse for AMD? Bad benchmarks or a month delay with (hopefully) good or at least better benchmarks?
That's the thing: this is the month delay.
From the wording used at anandtech's articles I'm 99% sure the whole press had been briefed that all the gaming cards would release at Computex, and everyone got blindsided with that short and vague Prey demo.

Well... which is worse for AMD? Bad benchmarks or a month delay with (hopefully) good or at least better benchmarks?

As ToTTenTranz said, this is effectively a delay and the FE seems to be made specifically for appeasing the shareholders. AMD seems to believe this is the better course of action.

I could be wrong, but I thought that the prefetch length increases from 2n to 4n in pseudo channel mode for HBM2. So it's still 32 bytes.
You are right, I didn't looked at the prefetch lenght.
It increases from 2 to 4 so effectively it stays at 32 bytes.

So apparently there's the "dual pro/game-drivers" and separate "game drivers" now? https://disqus.com/by/klaudiuszkaczmarzyk/
Results from the 3DMark Fire strike, as of now is on level of 1080. I have dig on the drivers as they are not showing correctly and I've downloaded correct package from AMD but I've used half pro and game drivers now I will use just the gaming ones to see the difference.

Back