Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least I was relatively close in my prediction of the dock's price
$99 vs. $90
Oops, sorry, wrong thread. Was meant to post in the price speculation one.

I'm still relatively interested. Not so much because of the hardware but the games. Mario Odyssey looks fun and even though I'm not completely sold on the Mario in real world idea ( makes me think is there a Smurfs type film in the works too?), there still seems to be plenty of more fantastical levels too. New Zelda of course is a must buy too, as is Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Sony and MS just don't sem to make fun platforming adventure games like Mario any more, and as that's always been one of my favorite genres, it's nice to see Nintendo continuing to make them. Even if the Mario Odyssey looks less platforming and more open world like Infamous games.

As the Switch will be one of my three consoles (Switch, PS4, and WiiU (yes, I still have plenty of games for that I plan to play) that I actively play, I'm not that worried about the lack of games. Three games for first year will be just ok for me as I doubt I'd have time for much more anyway.

Last edited:
Dead on arrival if true. 299€ is steep, 249€ was expected, 199€ was the ideal price point if Nintendo was serious about competing. 349€ is just fucking nuts.

In Gamestop France it is 329,99 euros the cheapest price and price of accessories is fucked up too...

That doesn't have Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, Madden, Fifa, Assassins Creed, Red Dead, GTA?.... to name a few.

Yeah, small difference, and even the most casual gaming fan will know this.
It will have Fifa.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Seriously people, 250 expected hoped for 200? Name me one piece of electronics somewhat comparable to switch in parts that you can get for 200 bucks...

I think more than 249 euros/dollars is too much. I didn't expect 199 euros/dollars. It is the launch Wii price and I think the best price for a Nintendo launch... 330 euros is too much...

Seriously people, 250 expected hoped for 200? Name me one piece of electronics somewhat comparable to switch in parts that you can get for 200 bucks...

I've never seen as much dumb ill- "considered speculation in these forums as I have about the Switch, which is largely why I've not posted much here. If this thing was $200 it would have had such a shit build quality and screen that people would have complained bitterly. People seemingly want classic Nintendo prices but better quality than classic Nintendo traditionally ship. From the first time Switch was shown it was obvious this wasn't a cheap device designed for kids and that comes with a price.

6 pages already?! Not read it all. Gotta say I think Nintendo have screwed up again. Learnt nothing beyond a slightly classier product. Overpriced for what it is. Underperforming for what it wants to be. Ended up just a handheld with TV out. Will sell less than Wii U numbers IMO.

Last edited:
6 pages already?! Not read it all. Goota say I think Nintendo have screwed up again. Learnt nothing beyond a slightly classier product. Overpriced for what it is. Underperforming for what it wants to be. Ended up just a handheld with TV out. Will sell less than Wii U numbers IMO.
I'm halfway through the stream.
I really don't know what to say. I'm still hopeful that it will do better than the wii u, but I except that's my own wishful thinking.
So many obvious bad decisions (e.g everything about their online), makes it hard to just except the good parts.

A Shild tablet (200€) with a newish Tegra, a worst screen (HD instead of 1200p), no cameras, no playing PC games (streaming from a geforce), worst baterry life (?) ... even quite a few 200€ smarthphones have many better specs than this (CPU, GPS, 3G, cameras and screen for example).

You cant even play Pokemon go on it...

Plus a 80€(!) controller (actually a nicer one than the 50€ or less (?) that come for the Shield)

Really not a stretch thinking that Switch could hit 250€ or less, IMO.

Last edited:
Especially when your direct competitors are selling h/w that is multiple times more powerful for less. Yes the half portable half console thing is nice, but is it enough to sell Switch on its own? I'm not so sure.

I really don't know what to say. I'm still hopeful that it will do better than the wii u, but I except that's my own wishful thinking.
Looking at it logically, how can it? Are all the 3DS players going to pony up hundreds of dollars to play better graphic games? Is the USP going to appeal to the masses in a way neither a handheld nor Wii U could? In a quick update of the situation and having watched the sizzle reel, I'm seeing nothing that'll sell these things en masse. If you want console games you'll get a PS4. If you want handheld games, it's a far from ideal solution and you may just stick with mobile or 3DS. I certainly can't see 5 million people rushing out to spend $400 on a Switch and a couple of a games.

The features are features without support so they'll die horribly. Motion controls in the JoyCons? Great. Nice little expense on MEMS but who's going to write games to use them? How many motion games were in the sizzle reel? They learnt nothing from Sixaxis... Same with HD rumble icecubes. Great little tech feature, but utterly useless and valueless in real terms. Doubt 1-2-Switch is going to sell 100 million consoles.

Even their online service is laughable. Every month you get a NES or SNES game for free! In the face of Games with Gold and PS+ Games, that's exceedingly cheap. Nintendo drag out their history generation after generation to the point its now an embaressment. Also from what I read, it doesn't include voice chat and there'll be a companion app on smart phone for that? PSN can be pretty crappy at times; I dread to think how miserable and buggy Nintendo online is going to be.

My personally only positive is that the engineering and implementation is pretty cool. The controls and way things piece together and the versatility and potential, it's a nice idea. But it sounds like something on Kickstarter/IndieGogo that gets 10,000 people to fund it at a wonderful sounding 5x goal, and then dies in the real world. Without a killer app to sell this console to 10 million in the first year and a raft of unique, Switch specific games to make it worth having, my forecast is that in 4-5 years we'll have articles talking about how awesome Switch was and how loved it is by it's few owners and wasn't it a shame it never got anywhere when it had such quirky games as Mario Horserider and Pokemon Salt and Pepper.

Especially when your direct competitors are selling h/w that is multiple times more powerful for less. Yes the half portable half console thing is nice, but is it enough to sell Switch on its own? I'm not so sure.
I still think the concept is right.
The price point isn't though. I'm not comparing with Sony and MS, because stationary consoles aren't even in the running, I'm comparing with iPads. And the Switch, once you've added a game and and online capabilities, is right up there in total cost, and it gets worse as you add games as per usual for consoles.
Another iPad makes more sense to me and mine. Unfortunately. If it at least had offered a pack in game and free online, then it might have tickled my gear acquisition syndrome sufficiently. Maybe that impression will change as we get more solid information regarding the device and associated software, but as of now it's not quite competitive enough.

Looking at it logically, how can it? Are all the 3DS players going to pony up hundreds of dollars to play better graphic games? Is the USP going to appeal to the masses in a way neither a handheld nor Wii U could? In a quick update of the situation and having watched the sizzle reel, I'm seeing nothing that'll sell these things en masse. If you want console games you'll get a PS4. If you want handheld games, it's a far from ideal solution and you may just stick with mobile or 3DS. I certainly can't see 5 million people rushing out to spend $400 on a Switch and a couple of a games.

The features are features without support so they'll die horribly. Motion controls in the JoyCons? Great. Nice little expense on MEMS but who's going to write games to use them? How many motion games were in the sizzle reel? They learnt nothing from Sixaxis... Same with HD rumble icecubes. Great little tech feature, but utterly useless and valueless in real terms. Doubt 1-2-Switch is going to sell 100 million consoles.

Even their online service is laughable. Every month you get a NES or SNES game for free! In the face of Games with Gold and PS+ Games, that's exceedingly cheap. Nintendo drag out their history generation after generation to the point its now an embaressment. Also from what I read, it doesn't include voice chat and there'll be a companion app on smart phone for that? PSN can be pretty crappy at times; I dread to think how miserable and buggy Nintendo online is going to be.

My personally only positive is that the engineering and implementation is pretty cool. The controls and way things piece together and the versatility and potential, it's a nice idea. But it sounds like something on Kickstarter/IndieGogo that gets 10,000 people to fund it at a wonderful sounding 5x goal, and then dies in the real world. Without a killer app to sell this console to 10 million in the first year and a raft of unique, Switch specific games to make it worth having, my forecast is that in 4-5 years we'll have articles talking about how awesome Switch was and how loved it is by it's few owners and wasn't it a shame it never got anywhere when it had such quirky games as Mario Horserider and Pokemon Salt and Pepper.

The smartphone app is a paid one and they will have lobby and online chat in Switch UI end of 2017 with paid online...

Last edited:
I still think the concept is right.
The price point isn't though. I'm not comparing with Sony and MS, because stationary consoles aren't even in the running, I'm comparing with iPads. And the Switch, once you've added a game and and online capabilities, is right up there in total cost, and it gets worse as you add games as per usual for consoles.
Another iPad makes more sense to me and mine. Unfortunately. If it at least had offered a pack in game and free online, then it might have tickled my gear acquisition syndrome sufficiently. Maybe that impression will change as we get more solid information regarding the device and associated software, but as of now it's not quite competitive enough.

i think the concept is ok but not the crazy price...

A Shild tablet (200€) with a newish Tegra, a worst screen (HD instead of 1200p), no cameras...
It has an IR camera in the right JoyCon that can also measure distance, although that could just be a sort of area measurement and doubt it's a Kinect-style depth cam. Also accelerometer and gyro in both JoyCons, and high manufacturing quality for these to click together time and again. Shield tablet has shit quality by comparison. Oh, and 'next gen HD rumble'. There is a lot of tech in Switch explaining some of the cost, but in real terms it's mostly valueless tech. Would have been better off leaving it out and selling cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back