Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
the subscription states that you get 1 free nes or super nes game with online play for that month ( I think you don't hae it after that month) so thre is VC

I'd be shocked if NES and SNES games didn't run but what about DS and 3DS, if it doesn't have BC for those titles this is a major fail.

Edit:

To be clear my view is fail mostly bc of the price, a 300 machine that only has first party titles to drive sales won't do well. Atleast not in terms of how I choose to invest in platforms.

I'd be shocked if NES and SNES games didn't run but what about DS and 3DS, if it doesn't have BC for those titles this is a major fail.

Edit:

To be clear my view is fail mostly bc of the price, a 300 machine that only has first party titles to drive sales won't do well. Atleast not in terms of how I choose to invest in platforms.

Seriously, look at a 3ds. Now look at the switch. How the hell are you (comfortably) going to be able to play 3ds games on the switch? Yes they could cram in some side by side mode but anything that uses the touchscreen will be hell to play. This was pretty much a given from the day we know how switch would look.

That's $360 if you want a game to play on that console and not just look at the hardware. And it's $430 if you want a normal Controller with it, that only Nintendo calls Pro Controller.

Seriously, look at a 3ds. Now look at the switch. How the hell are you (comfortably) going to be able to play 3ds games on the switch? Yes they could cram in some side by side mode but anything that uses the touchscreen will be hell to play. This was pretty much a given from the day we know how switch would look.
yea but a lot of games only really use the top screen and just inventory on the bottom. So maybe some can be brought over with minimal work

It's a bit expensive for what it is. I was expecting $249 but maybe the build quality and screen are top notch.

UK price is £279.99

(what in the fuck)

Edit: I guess the British Pound rate has dropped significantly as of late, but still, you can buy a Ps4 slim for less than £220 right now on Amazon

Last edited:
UK price is £279.99

(what in the fuck)

Is that normal?

Don't forget to add more for a game and even more for a normal controller.

There are an entire 2 games available at launch outside the UK, Zelda and 1.2.Switch. That's being kind and calling "1.2.Switch" a game, and assuming Zelda will make the release deadline. Some other titles just claim "March 2017". The Mario Kart 8 doesn't release until April 28th. More games simply claim "Spring 2017", "Fall 2017", "2017" or simply TBD.

So what exactly do you get for the initial 300€? Just the tablet with no dock?

Mario Odyssey looked very mediocre in the "real world" stages. Perhaps it's the low render resolution but it looked below GTA V quality in the PS360.

yea but a lot of games only really use the top screen and just inventory on the bottom. So maybe some can be brought over with minimal work

temesgen was talking about BC, that was pretty much a no go from the start.

I was expecting $249 with a pack in and a quick drop to $199...

Your expectations are unrealistic.

Even Wii launched at 250 and that was almost literally two GC's taped together. The Switch contains much more (modern'ish) hardware than Wii did so 300 dollars really is not that surprising.

For fun I looked at one of those inflation calculators and in current money the Wii would have actually been 5 bucks more expensive than what the Switch is launching for.

So what exactly do you get for the initial 300€? Just the tablet with no dock?

Mario Odyssey looked very mediocre in the "real world" stages. Perhaps it's the low render resolution but it looked below GTA V quality in the PS360.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/nintendo-switch-price-speculation-last-week-poll.59841/

EDIT for SKU Pricing Details:

$300 - Nintendo Switch SKU #1: 2 Gray JoyCons
$300 - Nintendo Switch SKU #2: 1 Neon Red and 1 Neon Blue JoyCon

The packages will include a console, two one-handed Joy-Con controllers, two wrist straps (which include expanded shoulder buttons), a grip that joins the two Joy-Con controllers into one dual-stick configuration (separate from the tablet screen), the TV connection dock, an HDMI cable, and an AC adapter.

A "charging grip" accessory, which combines the Joy-Cons into a larger controller while keeping them charged, will retail for $30.

Additional TV dock sets, with included HDMI cable and charging adapter, will sell for $90.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/nintendo-switch-launches-worldwide-march-3-299-in-us/

EDIT for Accessory Pricing Details:
eastman's post: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1961066/

32 gigs comes internal, os is installed so you loose some space . 720p 6.2 inch screen. Zelda can be played for 3 1/2 hours according to Nintendo's site

Pro controller $69.99 USD

A pair of joy cons $79.99

Joy con separate $49.99

Charging Grip $29.99

Dock with HDMI and AC $89.99

Joy con wheel (set of 2 ) 14.99

temesgen was talking about BC, that was pretty much a no go from the start.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

Even Wii launched at 250 and that was almost literally two GC's taped together. The Switch contains much more (modern'ish) hardware than Wii did so 300 dollars really is not that surprising.

For fun I looked at one of those inflation calculators and in current money the Wii would have actually been 5 bucks more expensive than what the Switch is launching for.
The console could be rotated to simulate two screens, as as price is concerned Nintendo can't afford to bomb on two consoles back to back, price is pretty much the only option considering the lackadaisical software offerings.

The console could be rotated to simulate two screens, as as price is concerned Nintendo can't afford to bomb on two consoles back to back, price is pretty much the only option considering the lackadaisical software offerings.

Right and where are the buttons going to be if you rotate it? On the top and bottom.

Even if Nintendo would have designed Switch to allow joycons to be connected to each side, it would still be awkward to hold in portrait mode because of its size.

Again, the price is, adjusted for inflation, similar to what the Wii launched for back in 2006 and that came with a whole lot less in the hardware department. 300 is not that strange if you compare it with lets say a tablet (similar in construction) and the Switch comes with controller, additional hardware etc.

That's expensive. So it's around 330 usd with tax included right?

That is expensive.

The only game with good visual quality sets like... Hmm. The new zelda.

I wonder how the new zelda will look like

Wii U vs Switch vs PC (Wii U emulator).

Right and where are the buttons going to be if you rotate it? On the top and bottom.

Even if Nintendo would have designed Switch to allow joycons to be connected to each side, it would still be awkward to hold in portrait mode because of its size.

Again, the price is, adjusted for inflation, similar to what the Wii launched for back in 2006 and that came with a whole lot less in the hardware department. 300 is not that strange if you compare it with lets say a tablet (similar in construction) and the Switch comes with controller, additional hardware etc.
The controller doesn't have to be connected, obviously I'm saying to separate the controller from the base to do this....

Edit:

Regarding price, a tablet isn't necessarily a good comparison in the sense that Samsung for example makes most of it's money when they sell you the tablet and Samsung has a much better relationship consumers at this point than Nintendo. Besides if Samsung were to fail Android software would not be impacted in any way. Nintendo is the company that needs volume to justify ports and a successful console to continue to viewed as a viable platform holder. Nintendo is being foolish if they think consumers are going to pay 300 dollars for this in any sort of volume, the price has to be much lower to facilitate adoption. At $300.00, most would simply buy an XB1 or PS4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back