Pre-e3 2016 hype/predictions thread

Rangers

Legend
Well, it's almost here so this wont be much of a thread...

Guess I'm getting old or something but I'm less hyped for this E3 than any before by a huge margin. On the good side, that means it pretty much snuck up on me and it's almost here, and it's still exciting.

What are people expecting/hoping?

Me: PS4 Neo/Xbox Scorpio? I honestly think hell no to the latter. The former, I think maybe a vague teaser, so vague as to not really mean anything. I could be totally wrong, maybe there will be substantive reveals on both and this will be the most interesting aspect of the conference.

Umm, Gears 4 campaign I assume. That's nice.

Batllefield 1 (real gameplay?)/COD etc etc Watch Dogs 2 etc.

Xbox Slim of course, isn't this semi-confirmed? Interested in the price point as the XBo was recently permanently dropped to 299. The options are: Dare they go back to $349 figuring the new slim hotness is worth more? $299 same as now? or, dare they go for the throat with a presumable lower slim BOM, $249? (my guess is $299)

PS4 slim? Haven't seen this rumored and it's a good bit smaller than XBO anyway...

Horizon Zero Dawn showing real gameplay? That would be nice.

That's all I can think of for now, not much!

Hmm, predictions. In most recent years E3 hasn't really been known for megatons or game changing announcements. But I have a feeling this will be anything but a normal E3.

I think we'll get real (even post conference) demonstrations of Crackdown, ME;Andromeda, ReCore, FF VII, Halo Wars 2, Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog's new IPs, and............yes I believe MS is going to either drop a KOTOR remake or some other big 3rd party exclusive other than Dead Rising. I also expect plenty of backward compatibility additions as well as clarity on Xbox OS/UI on PC. As well as PSVR demonstrations to whet the appetites of console gamers for VR.

Now as far as hardware reveals I definitely see the Xbox One Slim, but I'm also predicting the Scorpio will get some kind of announcement. No actual views of the hardware but some info on specs and when we can expect it. We may also get a look at the new controller, which I'm going to assume also belongs to Scorpio.

But if Microsoft doesn't announce the Scorpio, I'm firmly predicting that Sony seizes upon yet another opportunity to repeat the E32013 PR suckerpunch that left the Xbox One despised and unwanted by so many. At the very least they'll announce the Neo and dominate the conversation for the rest of the week.

I can already hear them, "Every game for the Neo will be fully playable on the PS4. Every PSVR experience for the Neo will be available on PS4. Every PS4 game will be playable on the Neo at NO ADDITIONAL COST. We're not leaving anyone behind and we'll have a real price incentive for Playstation 4 gamers that want to make the jump to the Neo"

Standing ovation, raucous applause.

They wouldn't even have to mention MS by name. But instead of being 1st, MS would have to match everything Sony does and probably more just to entice gamers back over to Xbox. They would catch them off guard again, frame the narrative around their platform for a second time. The gaming press (which loves MS sooooo much) will do the rest. lolz.

Yeah, I suppose it sounds silly to predict overall strategy since it looks like neither manufacturer will be ready before Spring 2017. But what else can we do at this point?

Last edited:
Major stuffs from Sony:
God of War IV reveal with in engine trailer that raises the visual bar once again.
Quantic Dream's Detroit gameplay demo and looks near CGI quality with much improved voice acting and performance.
Horizon new demo played on PS4 showing more of the world and its inhabitants, dynamic TOD, weathers and a new, darker threat other than the mechs. Demo proving the new trailer was indeed ran on PS4.
Sucker Punch's new game, in engine trailer of a new open world title.
GTS gameplay, trailer with improved visuals and sound.
TLG new demo, nothing ground breaking, still PS3ish graphics but confirmed release around Xmas.
FFXV demo on PS4 showing new boss fight.
COD demo, some exclusive contents.
UC4 story DLC trailer
Megaton PS4 Neo announcement with a teaser trailer showing glimpses of Neo enhanced titles and a $399 price tag, plus OG PS4 price reduction.

Major stuffs from MS
Gears 4 new demo showing boss fight, graphics much improved than last showing.
Forza 3 announcement.
Halo Wars 2 trailer
That dragon game third party exclusive new demo
Alan Wake 2 teaser
BF1 demo, exclusive contents
Xbox One Slim announcement, no Scorpio at E3

Multiplats
RDR 2 demo, trailer
Resident Evil 7 trailer
Cod, BF1, some new EA sports, Watch Dog 2, demos and trailers
Surprise Dead Space 3 reveal

That's it for now.

Interested to see what VR games are available as I've just had my OR shipping email (finally!) , aside from that really want some more Rare games. Not really impressed with the whole incremental console thing from either side.

Megaton PS4 Neo.....

I still refuse to believe that the bean counters in Sony go for a 4 TF PS4 and allow MS to release a 6 TF Scorpio shortly after. Except if the love for PS4 with its 50% bigger install base is so large, that we'll all buy a PS4 Neo 2 (whatever) in two years from now.

Sony opening with a Crash Bandicoot trailer, mascot on stage talking shit in a megaphone, VR compatible, directed by Mark Cerny.

Shawn Layden forced to wear the Crash Bandicoot costume for the entire show. He must pay for what he did to us last year, whether the game exists or not.

Bloodborne 2 or a new From Software IP on PS4 planned for 2017 or 2018

Demon's souls remastered by Bluepoint

A glimpse of Sucker Punch new game, finally

I won't be surprised if Microsoft announce Scorpio, planned for a vague 2017 release to make people wait until 2017 and prevent them buying Neo or even PS4 this year. Maybe Sony will react in some way if Microsoft do it.

But most importantly: The last Guardian 2 (fondly named Fourco) planned for a 2026/2027 release. Tentative date :p

Hoping for a meaty Horizon Zero Dawn demo. I haven't been following the rumors lately to avoid getting surprises spoiled like i did last year :D

Xbox slim will get released at $300 the old xbox will get cleared out at $250 with a game bundle of some type.

No scorpio at show . PS4 Neo is announced and priced at $400 with a release in Oct .

For games we will see psvr on both neo and ps4 and everyone will agree that neo is needed for psvr .

MS will show more of that pirate game , crackdown will get a release date for the fall . The scale bound will get pushed till first quarter next year , recore will have real game play but will be a 2017 game , perhaps a launch game for scorpio . MS will also show off a Destiny / Division Halo game . They will also show off more Windows games.

For games we will see psvr on both neo and ps4 and everyone will agree that neo is needed for psvr .
What will have happened to the current crop of PSVR games that have already been shown on PS4 to generally good critical reception such that they now need Neo? Are you expecting new, 'AAA' VR games that haven't yet been announced? eg. Robinson which hasn't been shown realtime AFAIK.

What will have happened to the current crop of PSVR games that have already been shown on PS4 to generally good critical reception such that they now need Neo? Are you expecting new, 'AAA' VR games that haven't yet been announced?

No , I'm expecting the neo to play them at proper frame rates without ATW and at higher resolutions to improve the fidelity of the games.

I also haven't seen a AAA VR PS4 game reviewed yet.

But hands-ons with PS4 says it already works and people are happy with ATW and the current resolutions. I can't see how they go from that to saying a new $400 or whatever box is needed for VR. An improvement, sure, but the low cost option will remain.

I suppose from that, I expect Neo to be a no show, certainly not regards VR. Sony don't want to discourage PS4 owners from buying into VR. If the perceived price of entry is $800+ with new headset and console, it's a dead product. PSVR was only a goer because it was 'affordable' for the existing 20+ million PS4 install base. So showing Neo VR being way better/necessary for PSVR 'but you can spend $400 on PSVR for PS4 and have a crap experience you'll hate' would be a self-defeating message. PSVR has to be shown to work on PS4 as a quality experience (as all the past hands-ons have claimed) and that'll be the focus at E3 for PSVR.

Damn, I've made a prediction! I don't do predictions (other than doom and gloom for products that'll fail :p)
I also haven't seen a AAA VR PS4 game reviewed yet.
Well I'm not sure of any AAA VR games yet really. The largest titles are likely existing titles being refactored, like Elite. But there are certainly 'proper' games like Robinsons and Rigs, some of which have been well received I think. Certianly none of the feedback has been, "this is a blurry, nauseating mess and no-one in their right mind is going to want to play VR on PS4."

But hands-ons with PS4 says it already works and people are happy with ATW and the current resolutions. I can't see how they go from that to saying a new $400 or whatever box is needed for VR. An improvement, sure, but the low cost option will remain.

I suppose from that, I expect Neo to be a no show, certainly not regards VR. Sony don't want to discourage PS4 owners from buying into VR. If the perceived price of entry is $800+ with new headset and console, it's a dead product. PSVR was only a goer because it was 'affordable' for the existing 20+ million PS4 install base. So showing Neo VR being way better/necessary for PSVR 'but you can spend $400 on PSVR for PS4 and have a crap experience you'll hate' would be a self-defeating message. PSVR has to be shown to work on PS4 as a quality experience (as all the past hands-ons have claimed) and that'll be the focus at E3 for PSVR.

Damn, I've made a prediction! I don't do predictions (other than doom and gloom for products that'll fail :p)

Bro , I'm a hands on ps vr user . The tech demos like the shark one worked fine , the larger demos like adrift worked poorly.

I also never said that sony will say that the neo is needed. I said everyone will agree that the neo is needed for vr. The everyone being those who try both PS4 VR and Neo VR. Sony will still try and push the lesser of the experiances for price purposes but those who buy a ps vr will quickly find themselves upgrading to the neo.

Back