Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, one GAF member mentioned he noticed screen tearing in the some gameplay parts in the vid. So maybe it is from consoles.

Game looked very solid anyway in that 1 hr long SP showcase.

PS4 beta mostly stuck at 1080p, with rare drops below it. The more noticeable thing was sub-60fps tearing, although they fixed it mostly in the latest beta NP test.

Are we sure about that? Tiago said they res scale constantly and the temporal super sampling makes it hard to pick up. Maybe the PS4 can hold 1080p most of the time though.

Just picked up the PS4 version (Mediamarkt in Germany in case anyone cares). The fact that Bethesda didn't send out any advanced press copies whatsoever has me a little worried, but since everything I've seen from the campaign looked bloody brilliant to me I thought it was worth the risk regardless. Afterall Bethesda did similar things with The Evil Within and I believe also Wolfenstein, and those turned out to be just fine.

Just picked up the PS4 version (Mediamarkt in Germany in case anyone cares). The fact that Bethesda didn't send out any advanced press copies whatsoever has me a little worried, but since everything I've seen from the campaign looked bloody brilliant to me I thought it was worth the risk regardless. Afterall Bethesda did similar things with The Evil Within and I believe also Wolfenstein, and those turned out to be just fine.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Bethesda has been working like this at least since Oblivion. I remember their man Pete Hines talking about how they slowly dish out the screenshots. It's all an evil mind game.

I'm not touching this game until I hear the single player is actually interesting and not just a turbocharged ADHD gore extravaganza. ;)

They don't do that with their marquee rpg titles though. I believe Oblivion was the first Bethesda game we tested at 4players.de (we didn't exist during the Morrowind era), and we got all of their rpgs well in advance ever since. The Fallout 4 press copies were sent out incredibly early. Like, 3 or 4 weeks early in fact.

It looks like he's playing UT or Quake3. Or even Serious Sam, I suppose. Hyper turbo Wolfenstein The New Order. I even see a mid air double jump in there. The grenades and rockets are like cherry bombs.

Last edited:
It looks like he's playing UT or Quake3. I even see a mid air double jump in there. The grenades are like cherry bombs.

I suppose it's probably the first single player game designed to feel like one long MP deathmatch.
It really seems like that doesn't it, a bit fast paced for what I'd consider Doom. I also didn't like that there didn't seem to be any collision with demons once they'd reached a death state but way before they visually died completely.

I've pre-ordered a physical copy, so I'm gonna have to wait until tomorrow to play, no matter what. Can't rely on Media Markt screwing up the release date unfortunately, Gamestop run too tight a ship for such slips to happen. :p

I started playing yesterday (albeit very late) and finished the first 3 campaign levels. I loved it. I didn't wanna wait to install the obligatory 8GB day 1 patch, and that meant I was initially a little disappointed by the substantial screen tearing in certain spots. I also thought they axed the FOV slider at the last minute as it was nowhere to be found in the menus. I was still having a blast. Not to worry, though: patch 1.02 takes care of both of these issues. This is a mighty fine looking game, with terrific lighting, wonderful creature animations, gorgeous Mars Vistas, kick-ass particle effects, great looking material shaders, Ratchet&Clank level motion blur and exceptionally clean image quality. And thanks to the framerate you're moving through the demon horde like a knife through butter. I'm also in love with the presentation in general. This game is angry like it's 1993. Doom Marine doesn't push buttons. He crushes them with clenched fists. Then he rips out an imp's jaw while listening to death/industrial metal takes on your favorite tracks from the original Doom OST. The baddie is impossibly sinister of course. Like Skeletor on a really bad day, with Mortal Kombat announcer-esque voice to boot. Doom (4) never pretends to be a grown-up like it's slightly po-faced predecessor. Instead it revels in the thick layers of cheese it's coated in. Do yourself a favor and suicide in the molten iron in mission three. Gave me a good chuckle. Gameplay is where it's all at of course. The thing controls like a dream. Folks are moaning it feels like Quake or UT. I'd have to agree that that is what it does feel like, except I think that's just about the biggest compliment you can give to just about any shooter. It's not Doom1 anymore and it shouldn't be. It has modern stuff in it like weapon mods, secondary weapons fire and something resembling parcours. It also has rpg progression elements like weapon and armor upgrades. These are good things as far as I'm concerned. The game feels old-school without ever being archaic. Heck, even the unobtrusive story seems sort of interesting so far.

No idea whether the game will be able to sustain its momentum of course, but since these games only tend to improve with the expansion of your personal arsenal, I'm not really worried here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back