AMD: Pirate Islands (R* 3** series) Speculation/Rumor Thread

Any idea about the "Made in Korea"

HIEGdFz.png

Samsung, UMC, Hynix are all in Korea.
Also a lot of semiconductor packaging houses there.
http://anysilicon.com/vendor_category/ic_packaging/

Edit- Just found Amkor on a different list.
I guess it is marked "Made in Korea" due to being assembled and packaged by Amkor.

So we still don't know exactly who fabbed the Fiji die.
Interposer = UMC
HBM = Hynix
Packaging and assembly = Amkor
GPU die = ???

Last edited:
I have an idea. If the CEO cuts her compensations which are actually even greater than JHH's, and directs this money into engineering power, I think the company would feel much better. Lower margins or higher margins aside.

Ok, let's assume that you are correct and FIJI costs more, and so what given that idea?...

b-but gender equality. OT, how much are AMD saving on R&D by iterating the GCN design than going the kepler->maxwell route?

I wonder how long until we see a 'R9 Nano M' for laptops/AIOs. It could be comfortably ahead of the GTX 980M, and the smaller PCB area could interest OEMs (Apple especially).

Last edited:
We hear nothing about GloFo, so I would think it is still TSMC with an improved 28 nm process.

Fury X won't push Crysis 3 to playable framerates at 4K. :(

Doesn't the 290x already average 30 at high settings?
Meaning the fury x should do around 45 at least.
That's playable.

Tnx, that's interesting. So that's some kind of a tech analyst company. I'm guessing it's just some sort of marketing deal?

It's a sponsored paper.
Last year, AMD, ARM, and Nvidia had a fair presence at a different firm. A bit flashier than this year, but in defense of the latest mouthpiece there was a lot more to say and show.

For the long-time veterans of the Bulldozer thread, there's a familiar name in their About Us page.

(Just for fun, do a text search for AMD on that page.)

5 minutes to edit a post....

Anyway, the numbers from the "leaked" slides during Titan X's launch had far cry 4 as the best game against Titan X.

Titan X faster than 290X in far cry 4 by (TS?)29.1% TP - 31.5% TR- 25%

And 390X(now Fury, thanks moor?) faster than 290X by 55% , so 20.1% , 17.8% and 24% faster than Titan X respectively. Would be hard for 980Ti to catch up even with overclocking.

The other would be alien isolation where it's 18% or so faster, while BF4 and Tomb Raider had them at parity.

AFAIK those TPU graphs show average FPS, not min FPS.
How would that be possible? A graph plots frequency over time, showing you actual FPS at any particular point of gameplay. It would by pure function be a direct indicator of minimum FPS.

Also, in most cases, average FPS is more interesting to a gamer, as you'd only encounter minimum FPS on a few - maybe just one - typically very short moments.

How would that be possible? A graph plots frequency over time, showing you actual FPS at any particular point of gameplay.
Graphics analysis tools capture frame times - you can plot anything from this, including momentary FPS for each individual frame and aggregate FPS (min, max, average, etc.) over regular time intervals.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the aircooled Fury non-X anywhere?
I'm really curious as to how long that card will be with an aircooler. I assume the PCB will be as small as the Fury X or the Nano, but the cooler should make it longer.

From Triskaine's post:

6PdSnYG.jpg

596mm^2

So Fiji manages to be a little bit smaller than GM200, despite having 11% more transistors.
Quite the feat for a first-gen HBM controller, I'd say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back