Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say some aspects were conservative. 8GB of GDDR5 is hardly conservative.
I have great respect for companies trying to fit the best specs they can in boxes they know they can't sell at the price needed to have some really beefy rigs, in a market where people will spend £700 on a phone but won't shell out more than £300 or so on a games console - while they queue up to spend that much on a new smart watch.
It can't be easy.

Just out of curiosity,

Why do you feel the 8th generation will last only 5-6 years when the 7th gen lasted 7-8 years?

Wasn't asking me, but...we know Sony and MS blew their budgets in the 7th gen. They had to artificially increase the time of the gen to make back the cost of the units. Sony in particular only became profitable on PS3 a few years back.

I'd say it had a detrimental impact on the industry as fatigue and general consumer apathy was in danger of being a thing.

Now that they are using off the shelf parts and are profitable much faster into the gen, there's no real need to lengthen the gen to such a degree, and things can stabilize back to normalcy.

To begin with, there's a much easier upgrade path now than ever before, not to mention the greater possibility of BC by going with the same architecture.

with their actual architecture, why wouldn't they do, say, hadware revision every 2-3 years like phones, with compatibility between gens, but games on the newest console would have more effetcs/resolution/framerate. I would buy a new console every 3 years.

Most people i know including myself, would not. Console owners are not the same people who buy phones on that level, its a completely different user base from people trained to buy Apple products.

Most people i know including myself, would not. Console owners are not the same people who buy phones on that level, its a completely different user base from people trained to buy Apple products.
Do you have any stats to back that up? I don't see why the demographic that buys consoles would be a subset of the demographic that buys phones with different behaviour to everyone else. The proportion of phone owners who'll upgrade frequently should be the same more-or-less among console owners as not, at least within the same age range selection.

Do you have any stats to back that up? I don't see why the demographic that buys consoles would be a subset of the demographic that buys phones with different behaviour to everyone else. The proportion of phone owners who'll upgrade frequently should be the same more-or-less among console owners as not, at least within the same age range selection.

Its not any statistic Shifty, its just common sense. Phones are far more mainstream devices and the 'have to buy one' factor of the ipad/iphone or what have you is a completely contained phenomenon i'd say to that sector.

Home video gaming console sales are more akin to buying a car. When people buy a console, they are looking into an investment to last them a long time of playing games without worrying about whether a better one is going to come and render the one they bought obsolete.

If Sony came out this year at E3 and said "hey we're making a PS5!, and its coming out in december. By the way, make sure to pre-order!" and then walked off the stage, there would a shit ton of angry people who just bought their PS4's that barely had games to play on it that really took advantage of the console's strengths. No one would stand for such a thing.

It fucks up development cycles, it fucks up consumer trust, its basically untenable for manufacturers considering how long it takes them to plan new iterations even today, and its also untenable for a player base used to getting a decent upgrade everytime.

There were people already testy after the 8th gen's specs came out, a future where you have to go 2 or 3 years and then an upgrade of like 50% the memory, and maybe double the GPU power for a pretty high cost forcing you to throw out your old unit, the manufacturer is risking quite a lot for an ecosystem they are essentially turning into a fully PC environment that the user doesn't even get to control when they upgrade and with what components.

Its just a bad idea all around.

it works for nintendo handelds. maybe it would for home consoles, if they are priced right and retro compatible, with new software still compatible with the older models, for at least 5-6 years.

steam boxes may be the missing link between consoles and PC, i may buy one in 2-3 years if i can game with a simple OS similar to PS4/xbox one OS.

it works for nintendo handelds. maybe it would for home consoles, if they are priced right and retro compatible, with new software still compatible with the older models, for at least 5-6 years.

steam boxes may be the missing link between consoles and PC, i may buy one in 2-3 years if i can game with a simple OS similar to PS4/xbox one OS.

It only works because Nintendo has their own ecosystem that bucks average trends.(aka people will buy into Nintendo's crap because its nintendo) And even then, N3DS is not going to do jack compared to any of their previous handheld units, they are declining with every iteration as smartphones snap up the dedicated handheld market.

I have been wondering lately if there is a feasible business model for gaming hardware that would allow yearly or bi-yearly upgrades similar to the way people do with phones. The only thing that I could pulling it off would be the steam machines. And the only one of those that seems competitive is the entry level Alienware Alpha. I think it is on sale for $399 at the moment. Looks like a very nice little system that includes Windows 8.1 and a Xbox 360 controller. Also much smaller that Xbox One and PS4. It currently has a "customized" 860M gpu that seems to run games just as good if not better than PS4. But what if Alienware releases an updated version sometime in the next year with a 980m.

I have been wondering lately if there is a feasible business model for gaming hardware that would allow yearly or bi-yearly upgrades similar to the way people do with phones. The only thing that I could pulling it off would be the steam machines. And the only one of those that seems competitive is the entry level Alienware Alpha. I think it is on sale for $399 at the moment. Looks like a very nice little system that includes Windows 8.1 and a Xbox 360 controller. Also much smaller that Xbox One and PS4. It currently has a "customized" 860M gpu that seems to run games just as good if not better than PS4. But what if Alienware releases an updated version sometime in the next year with a 980m.

Please discuss that topic in its own dedicated thread that already exists on this forum. Thanks.

Home video gaming console sales are more akin to buying a car. When people buy a console, they are looking into an investment to last them a long time of playing games without worrying about whether a better one is going to come and render the one they bought obsolete.
You don't know that. It's never been an option and never been tested. You may be right, but it's by no means a certainty.

As Brit says, there's a thread for discussion this model more specifically.

I remind everyone, myself included, to check the OP. Present your predictions with your timescale. Don't discuss the timescales here. ;)

with their actual architecture, why wouldn't they do, say, hadware revision every 2-3 years like phones, with compatibility between gens, but games on the newest console would have more effetcs/resolution/framerate. I would buy a new console every 3 years.
QFT.They could beef up specs in PS5 and target 720p30fps in PS4 and 1080p60fps in PS5.I would be an insta buy for me.

The only thing that I hope this time around is that Nvidia has a place amongst one of the big two (ok, three). This generation of console is somewhat boring (spec wise) with all using AMD SoCs. Nothing against AMD... it's just more interesting IMHO, when two highly competive chip makers (AMD/Nvidia) are providing different designs for two (ok, three) competive industry giants like Sony/MS (ok, Nintendo too :p).

Seriously, more options...

Would Intel be in anyway interested in a console win?

Assuming they still have a process lead in 201x wouldn't that throw the cat amongst the pigeons?

Could they provide a good licencing model?

Could provide a competive enough gpu component?

Maybe not! :)

Would Intel be in anyway interested in a console win?

Assuming they still have a process lead in 201x wouldn't that throw the cat amongst the pigeons?

Could they provide a good licencing model?

Could provide a competive enough gpu component?

Maybe not! :)

Intel could easily compete and win should they choose to perform what amounts to massive amounts of charity through hitting the ultra extreme low margin price ranges that AMD is willing to sink to in order to win any amount of business.

Intel could easily compete and win should they choose to perform what amounts to massive amounts of charity through hitting the ultra extreme low margin price ranges that AMD is willing to sink to in order to win any amount of business.

Well for intel it could be the gateway into other products from the company. They want to sell tablets and phones along with set top boxes and other stuff. Giving the chips for the ps5 per say to sony for a song could be their way into their phone line (if it still exists going forward ) and whatever else sony makes today.

MS uses their products in the surface line. Giving xbox next chips to them cheap could be a way to stay in those products and expand to the lumia line of phones .

Being the base cpu and gpu for the next console generation would also help their desktop sales. Devs programing for their gpu's would insure better performance .

Well for intel it could be the gateway into other products from the company. They want to sell tablets and phones along with set top boxes and other stuff. Giving the chips for the ps5 per say to sony for a song could be their way into their phone line (if it still exists going forward ) and whatever else sony makes today.

MS uses their products in the surface line. Giving xbox next chips to them cheap could be a way to stay in those products and expand to the lumia line of phones .

Being the base cpu and gpu for the next console generation would also help their desktop sales. Devs programing for their gpu's would insure better performance .

Intel doesn't need to make those kinds of plays to be considered in those other business sectors. Their product and manufacturing expertise makes them a viable contender for consideration anyway. Plus, they're a company that makes so much money making desktop and server chips that they are comfortable not really doing much in those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back