www.techingames.net - A Game Feature Tracker and Comparison Database

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
EDIT (3 nov 2014):

www.techingames.net

After a month, I think I've gotten close to what I hoped to achieve.

feature_overview.PNG

http://www.techingames.net/Games/Details/18

Here's how it works:

Features
Under features, you'll find a feature tree with all features that can currently be tracked. Anyone who has sufficient rights on the site can add features with a few simple clicks. Click the category to add a feature to, click new, enter the details, select how the end user should be able to enter a value, e.g. number, text, combo or flag (checkbox), and press create, done. From the overview, you can click to get a feature's details, which shows all games that have a value for this feature, and if the value is chartable (currently has to be a number) gives you the option to see a nice platform chart that shows values for games for that platform set against release date.

Games
The game overview will show the features of the game for each platform side-by-side (space permitting). The overview is built dynamically based on the information that is recorded for each of the games versions on that platform. So if any of the version has a value for a specific feature, it will then show up here automatically for all versions, keeping a nice layout for quick comparison.

Game Versions
This is where the meat starts. You can add many versions of a game. Versions are both different releases on different platforms, and patches/updates that were released for download (information on PS4 for instance shows up under the game / options button / update history). You can indicate if a version has a disc release as well. Once you've added one or more versions, you can click on that version to start adding features. Here you are presented with the feature tree for that version, and you can just add any value for any feature you have information on. As mentioned under Games, once you've added a value for one version, it will show up automatically in the overview. Importantly however, if the feature has a changing value in a later version, like the resolution in Black Flag, both values will show up with the version indicated.

Sources
Here you can add links to the source for your information, if applicable. For graphics data for instance, this could be links to 60fps videos at gamersyde, articles by Digital Foundry, and videos by Digital Foundry posted on youtube. Most embedded links will show up here as embedded videos as well, so that is the recommended way to link videos (for youtube, right now you take the embedded link, and then add https: in front of //embed ... )

More stuff to come in the future, but the basics are there! Hope you enjoy it.

Graph example (horizontal resolution)

techingames_framerate_chart.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been buiding websites for a bit lately, and it would be very easy for me to whip up a little database for this (I'm a big fan of code first with entity framework 6 and know how to sort of get it to work with MySql ;) ).

I have a basic idea of how I would set that up, but if anyone has input feel free to post suggestions. If I do this, I'll probably setup a separate thread.
That'd be a good idea, rather than the unwieldy lists. A proper DB will allow selective comparisons and game counts etc.

I knocked out the models, so now it's a matter of picking a domain name and registering it, and then some minor registration bits and UI tweaks and we're ready for beta. ;)

I've been buiding websites for a bit lately, and it would be very easy for me to whip up a little database for this (I'm a big fan of code first with entity framework 6 and know how to sort of get it to work with MySql ;) ).

I have a basic idea of how I would set that up, but if anyone has input feel free to post suggestions. If I do this, I'll probably setup a separate thread.

Funny thing I started to work on a current generation game list that encompassed quite a few things. The list (so far) is about 130 games between PS4 and XB1. If you would like... I could send you what I have so far.

Funny thing I started to work on a current generation game list that encompassed quite a few things. The list (so far) is about 130 games between PS4 and XB1. If you would like... I could send you what I have so far.

That'd be an excellent start! PM me for a dl link? Then I can use the list to test my db model as well.

And yeah, my current setup allows for infinite hierarchical metadata, so I wasn't necessarily limiting this to just resolution either. ;)

Allright, thread is taken care of already (thanks mods). Database has been created, and today inbetween not having time I've come up with and arranged a hosting package (I love my current hosting provider - if I put an order in late on a Sunday, I can expect that to be dealt with in the evening, and after paying it's all done immediately). I've given myself the luxury even to get SQL databases hosted with this website (first so far, wanted to experiment with that, as the MySQL drivers for entity-framework are workable, but not completely compatible with Code First), so that should speed up the process a bit more.

It'll probably take me four more hours of work or so to get the absolute basis of this thing up (with rudimentary account management and data entry).

Also thanks for the list, will definitely use it for input and it (Killzone) reminded me that I'll need separate high level categories for gameplay graphics for offline and online play separately.

Anyway, long story short, say hello to:

www.techingames.com :)

Nothing to see here yet of course, will take a while and me publishing something there.

Sounds good. I will provide more data and sources during the week... and PM me any changes/adds made, so that I'm not backtracking or covering ground that you have already taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zed, godaddy if you think there's any shared effort possible just let me know. No sense in doing the exact same thing twice, but we might compliment each other in tech/know how or otherwise ...

Zed, godaddy if you think there's any shared effort possible just let me know. No sense in doing the exact same thing twice, but we might compliment each other in tech/know how or otherwise ...
Im not sure what you mean. I just saw that your site was being hosted on godaddy & just remarked my new site zedzeek.com which I started last week that I also choose them for hosting.
IIRC they use apache/cpanel which I've used a bit before so perhaps if you have difficulties with something eg databases I may have an answer, and visa versa (though Im no expert) but two minds and all that.

Back