XBox One, PS4, DRM, and You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, you can share with 11 or more people with the disc version. Hooray. Their old DRM scheme was too limited compared to the disc version. That's why your fellow Xboxers complained.

The digital version can be shared too if you just buy the thing with a shared account. ^_^

not the same and bad idea.... disc sharing is 1998

You are wrong. You make this assumption probably because you were biased in favor of the XBOX. I assure you that my friends who are sole 360 owners and were waiting for the next XBOX were pissed with the DRM. Points 2 to 5 could be just additional reasons for them

I dont even use my xbox 360. I play almost exclusively PS3 and only download my games.

Xbox One's features excite me though.

The internet sucks with respect to fanboys versus MS. Every thing they release has such a huge outcry from people who claim to never use their products.

Has all sense and reason disappeared for a moment? Requiring online activation is completely independent from any individual title requiring an internet connection.
I have one question regarding this one. Lets say in the future when the XBOX 5 is released and MS abandons the support for XBone, and hence no online service will support it, will I be able to play my XBone games for nostalgia reasons? What will inform the console that the game I am inserting passed the release date if lets say my console is formated and no history is left in it?

Yeah it's lots of fun to mail discs to friends and family, ugh talk about stone age. It's awesome to have my brother in law wait 5 days to play a game from a disc in the mail, hoping the post office doesn't lose it. Why would I want to deal with discs in a digital age? Do you still mail letters to people or do you use email? In 2013 physical discs are meant to be a one time delivery mechanism and nothing more, unless we are rewinding the clock.

On PS3, I set up my PSN account on my best friend's PS3. I can play my digital games there too. But it's only up to 3 PS3s. ^_^

There are rumors that Steam is looking into digital sharing/borrowing. I won't see the current digital game DRM implementation as the final one. The digital age is most definitely not defined by Xbox One alone.

For disc games, it's supposed to be free from the digital restrictions. Yes, you can carry it with you, lend it, rent it and resell it.

You can have both.

I certainly don't see offline media as ancient. I totally expect us to be able to store large amount of information in our clothes in the future (without the need of fragile network). Wearable computing should be fun too, with "freedom" DRM.

Honest to God, I don't get how people are standing up and defending the Xbox One's DRM system. How exactly was MS standing up for consumer rights with this?

I much, and so does most everyone else quite obviously, prefer the Sony approach. Not the MS approach.

The reaction from Laa-Yosh and Joker are just.. Extreme. "Fuck Sony" Really? You won't buy their console because its a "Stumbling block"?

Wtf.

doubt all that.

499 was a bigger impediment by far to sales than drm, i stand by that. 499 is still here...

it's still super super early days anyway. you're basing this off of, rumors of preorders.

drop to 399 and i think xb1 would have sold like hotcakes with or without drm. similarly i dont know that this drm removal will stimulate sales greatly in the short term.

i agree and said as much in the Xbox One reveal thread. $499 was teh first shoe... DRM was the other.

Because anything that requires phoning home apparently is the equivalent of slapping someone's mother in the face. Once phoning home was killed, it killed digital flexibility along with it.
That's ridiculous. Microsoft can offer both, but have chosen not too. Folks who buy games only on disc could be spared having their games locked if they can't connect for more than 24 hours. But if you buy a digital purchase, those games are subject to that requirement. They aren't mutually exclusive.

This isn't rocket science; Microsoft are an operating system, software and services company.

doubt all that.

499 was a bigger impediment by far to sales than drm, i stand by that. 499 is still here...

it's still super super early days anyway. you're basing this off of, rumors of preorders.

drop to 399 and i think xb1 would have sold like hotcakes with or without drm. similarly i dont know that this drm removal will stimulate sales greatly in the short term.

The problem is always long term.
The initial sales will have a impact due to the price of course, but it's DRM that would have killed the brand.

Because anything that requires phoning home apparently is the equivalent of slapping someone's mother in the face.
At this point apparently yes, but it was Microsoft's PR disaster which made it that way. The semi-always online thing was simply a step too far, if they had simply allowed offline play for your own games they would have had room to sell their ideas.

What is going with the need for a day one patch? Surely these things are not already in a cardboard box?

You don't just just change a 1 to a 0 in the code and then all this stuff is instantly turned off. This will require a lot of OS changes and more importantly, a TON of testing to make sure these changes doesn't break anything else. It appears the testing will not be done before they start boxing them up.

The Xbox One is now back on my radar because of this rather than being a definite No. Depends on if Sony really does shift the DRM to the publisher like folks here are suggesting or not, and if MS follows suit.

That's ridiculous. Microsoft can offer both, but have chosen not too. Folks who buy games only on disc could be spared having their games locked if they can't connect for more than 24 hours. But if you buy a digital purchase, those games are subject to that requirement. They aren't mutually exclusive.

This isn't rocket science; Microsoft are an operating system, software and services company.

The problem is MS was also offering a digital version of every disc bought game and making that available and shareable... so... not they couldnt continue that.

Common sense makes me certain. It's enough for me.

Sony announced and stated repeatedly way back when that they will not block used games and they will not require online connection.

Microsoft walked to the bomb field of the ET call home console on it's own due to no fault of anything else but their own arrogance.

On PS3, I set up my PSN account on my best friend's PS3. I can play my digital games there too. But it's only up to 3 PS3s. ^_^

There are rumors that Steam is looking into digital sharing/borrowing. I won't see the current digital game DRM implementation as the final one. The digital age is most definitely not defined by Xbox One alone.

For disc games, it's supposed to be free from the digital restrictions. Yes, you can carry it with you, lend it, rent it and resell it.

You can have both.

I certainly don't see offline media as ancient. I totally expect us to be able to store large amount of information in our clothes in the future (without the need of fragile network). Wearable computing should be fun too, with "freedom" DRM.

I'm not sharing my DD titles anyway so I'm not sure, but what's the current activation limits? Because through careful "rationing" time to different PS3s, it's possible to go beyond 3 PS3 limit. At least I remember that was the case when the limit was 5 PS3s.

The problem is MS was also offering a digital version of every disc bought game and making that available and shareable... so... not they couldnt continue that.

No, but if you've got the connectivity and bandwidth to download the game for game sharing, you can buy the game from the XBL store and download it in the first instance as well.

The digital version is actually much more capable of avoiding the call-in requirement than the dumb plastic disc.
The plastic can't modify itself to indicate it has been installed, but the download infrastructure knows the console, account, and time of the download, and the Xbox would know how to obey the signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back