Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

After today news... MS is back in it! Should be crazy this holiday.

Both console seem to be in great shape. I think MS is going to out spend sony in marketing this holiday.

I think 499 is the real anchor, much more than DRM.

They are counting on Kinect+TV=$100, but it seems dubious to me.

We will see...

We will see...

If the price I've heard for the depth sensor CCD is accurate, I don't think there is anyway they can drop the price and include kinect.

We will see...

Well it has kinect but i agree the price and also power are a big factor. But the power only matters if game show a difference. DF face off are going to be crazy! :devilish:

If the price I've heard for the depth sensor CCD is accurate, I don't think there is anyway they can drop the price and include kinect.
It just crazy they havent shown really anything using kinect. Its like sony packing in move with the ps4. For the extra $100 they really need to show why it worth it to begin with and why its not something that takes away from the system.

A lot of people do not even want to be force to hook up the kinect. Now they have really shown no reason its needed.

oh boy...i never actually believed it was kinect...figured that was fanboy nonsense...it was just a couple cheap cameras in my estimation.

that kinda sucks.

old kinect didn't seem that expensive...judging it seeming highly profitable and selling for as little as 89.99, is the new one using a more expensive "CCD" I guess?

interesting.
I don't see how it'd be pleasant to change volume by voice, with the remote you get a feeling of the loudness of the show and can stop when it feels right. Also there are shows that have explosions and loud noises that demand active lowering and raising of the volume(unless the tv has an automatic volume adjustment feature).

How would that work with voice, saying "higher" "higher" or "up" "up" for each volume number to be raised, or would you simply say raise the volume, and then give a stop command? either way doesn't sound satisfactory.
the tv controller, only requires a few button presses. One to switch to cable/satellite, and another few for the numbers of the channel.
Have not used a remote in an incredibly long time, 360 is the center of our live and recorded media not to mention streaming. My 8-year old probably could not tell you what a remote even is.. Ha he says it is that thing that grandma and grandpa have to use, so I stand corrected.

If X1 does not support media center I will only buy one, compared to five in total now. Such a great feature to have.

oh boy...i never actually believed it was kinect...figured that was fanboy nonsense...it was just a couple cheap cameras in my estimation.

that kinda sucks.

old kinect didn't seem that expensive...judging it seeming highly profitable and selling for as little as 89.99, is the new one using a more expensive "CCD" I guess?
The new one is using a completely different mechanism for determining depth. The sensor has more pixels, it is more expensive, and the color feed is 6x the resolution of the old one. Expensive components, but at least they will cost-reduce over time, unlike the motor assembly on the old Kinect.

I think it was 85-90Db at the Kinect, it's been a while. We were standing 10-11 feet from the sensor, and were quite surprised when it started picking us up at below normal conversation level. It was a controlled test, but in a pretty bad environment for Kinect (One of our conference rooms, hard walls everywhere, very echoey)

Back to the topic at hand: I'm curious as to why Sony did not include the PSEye in their box considering how much attention they lavished on it at their reveal. I'm wondering if they originally were going to include it, but then pulled it to hit the 399 price point that they were afraid MS was going for.

Even then you would think could have included it and mark the price to $350, which is still $50 cheaper.

I would love to see a Vita bundle and camera bundle maybe somewhere in the future.

Maybe Sony will consider broadening its camera bundling since Microsoft has stopped donating millions of dollars in free PR to the PS4, or trying to inject the camera into game bundles to sort of flesh out some sub-niche of relevance.

I haven't looked in depth in the camera stuff as much as other parts of the systems, but I'm curious how Sony's implementation would compare when so much custom software and hardware went into Kinect. It would fill out a checkbox, but games relying on the options Kinect provides may not fit Sony's implementation. That would make a divergent motion implementation more of a liability, although I am assuming at least some basic stuff is more universal and the PS4's camera is at least competent at that (might be dangerous to assume anything at this tumultuous juncture).

We'll just have to hope that MM's upcoming PS4 Move title is really, really good. Then they can make that a 60 euro bundle with the Camera and a Move controller or something like that.

Quoting someone from XBone news and rumours thread here to not go off topic there:

Was GAF suddenly more persuasive than usual? It doesn't appear that forum warriors were able to convince Microsoft to overclock their SOC. At least not yet...

Maybe it's all those people that plunked money down on pre-orders who are at fault for choosing to spend said money on the PS4.

Or the horrendous PR.

Or the PR hit from angering some elements of the military.

Or generalized hostility from the smaller retailers that would probably be shut out in favor of Gamestop and the like.

Or poor people.

Or people in the boodocks.

Or people in any of the countries that fell off the edge of the Xbox One's world.

Or people who are family members/friends with/or actually are any of the above.

Or Jimmy Fallon.

Or they have a geek crush on Mark Cerny. I dunno.

I feel that GAF had an agenda against xbox One.
-Loath that Xbox One doesn't have BC while love PS4 doing BC through cloud
-Loath that Microsoft enables offloading non essential game assets and data, while love that PS4 renders WHOLE BC GAMES in the cloud
-Call microsoft selfish for not supporting troops, be selfish themselves for loathing xbox One buyers.

I feel like gaf put a magnifying glass on MS and exagerated their every mistake. They ask Microsoft tech support about policies then go LOL MS FAIL when their answers aren't in line with MS PR. Who asks PR questions from tech support? It's basically fishing for a mistake.

I also feel like with the status GAF has, they should act more responsibly. They had a thread on GAF where they said that people would loose all their games on Xbox One if they get banned from live. Something like this got a lot of exposure when it's completely dumb and any logical thinking human beeing would know that. In an interview with reddit, major Nelson got the question if people would loose all their games if they get banned. He said "absolutely not" to which the interviewer said "yay", in return Nelson said "what do you mean yay?!". I could sense his amazement to people actually thinking MS would so that.

Then there is the notion that Microsoft is anti-consumer, right now people are moaning at GAF about MS removing family sharing.

Then there is the power difference. Preaching not to buy xbox One because it has less power, while at the same time acknowledging it has at least as impressive games as PS4.

Microsoft Xbox One policies were a logical step seeing where the world is going and the equations of Google play and Appstore. I myself cursed at MS during their reveal, but the more I thought about the potential the more excited I got. If people want the PS4 policies so bad, stick with ps3. I want a console designed to take advantage of today and tomorrow, not yesterday. I can't believe the power that bunch of shortsighted baboons has. The unfounded and unjust criticism at MS ruined a truly exciting console.

Does PS4 require you to have the BR to play or after the game was installed you can play directly from the HDD?

Edit
Probably it's the wrong thread to ask sorry!

Quoting someone from XBone news and rumours thread here to not go off topic there:

I feel that GAF had an agenda against xbox One.
-Loath that Xbox One doesn't have BC while love PS4 doing BC through cloud
-Loath that Microsoft enables offloading non essential game assets and data, while love that PS4 renders WHOLE BC GAMES in the cloud
-Call microsoft selfish for not supporting troops, be selfish themselves for loathing xbox One buyers.

I feel like gaf put a magnifying glass on MS and exagerated their every mistake. They ask Microsoft tech support about policies then go LOL MS FAIL when their answers aren't in line with MS PR. Who asks PR questions from tech support? It's basically fishing for a mistake.

I also feel like with the status GAF has, they should act more responsibly. They had a thread on GAF where they said that people would loose all their games on Xbox One if they get banned from live. Something like this got a lot of exposure when it's completely dumb and any logical thinking human beeing would know that. In an interview with reddit, major Nelson got the question if people would loose all their games if they get banned. He said "absolutely not" to which the interviewer said "yay", in return Nelson said "what do you mean yay?!". I could sense his amazement to people actually thinking MS would so that.

Then there is the notion that Microsoft is anti-consumer, right now people are moaning at GAF about MS removing family sharing.

Then there is the power difference. Preaching not to buy xbox One because it has less power, while at the same time acknowledging it has at least as impressive games as PS4.

Microsoft Xbox One policies were a logical step seeing where the world is going and the equations of Google play and Appstore. I myself cursed at MS during their reveal, but the more I thought about the potential the more excited I got. If people want the PS4 policies so bad, stick with ps3. I want a console designed to take advantage of today and tomorrow, not yesterday. I can't believe the power that bunch of shortsighted baboons has. The unfounded and unjust criticism at MS ruined a truly exciting console.

I don't think it was GAF that changed Microsoft mind. The "check in" policy was bad to begin with.

Internet goes down, for whatever reason means I can no longer game. I grew up in low income situation and sometimes my Mom couldn't pay the cable bill, so not only I don't have internet, I wouldn't be able to game after the 24hrs expires.

I bet it's still going to be there anyway, but labelled as a feature of xbox live gold or something, much like PSN+ automatic download system, that could easily be changed into a 24hr content and licence check.

Maybe it won't be as draconian as previously planned, but DRM/content checks will still be there on both consoles.

No one cares if the system checks in online regularly. It's only a problem when it stops performing it's primary function when it can't reach the mothership.

I hope they give people an option to opt-in to the 24 hour check thing. I'm kind of less interested now that I know I can't share games with my family.

Just lend them your disc the good old way. People often lend games out they're not currently playing.

Alternatively buy your games on the online platform and then just sign-in and d/l on the other box. PSN allows this for up to 5 PS3's currently I believe. MS could easily implement something similar for digital purchases.

There's no need for 24 hour forced check-ins for something that can be done just for the content bought digitally on the same box.

Back