PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen 1 GB quoted a lot, but I am unaware of any 'official' or trusted leak.

Yeah I have seen that too.
DF and VGleaks estimate the OS at 512MB and so far they have been right but I was hoping that some of you guys heard more.

I suspect the key thing is whether and what Sony allow the PS4 to run concurrently. e.g., Can you run FinalFantasy XX in RemotePlay (background mode), and another heavyweight game/app on the TV (foreground mode) at the same time ?

How much memory would a basic OS need?

And by basic I mean playing games, Blu-Rays, Server browser and voice chat.... And that's it...

And by basic I mean playing games, Blu-Rays, Server browser and voice chat.... And that's it...
Not much, 360 reserved something like 32MB and PS3 reserved something like 40MB. If you think that is all the PS4 will be doing, I think you will be sorely disappointed.

Not much, 360 reserved something like 32MB and PS3 reserved something like 40MB. If you think that is all the PS4 will be doing, I think you will be sorely disappointed.

Oh I know they'll be doing a lot more then that but personally that's all they need to do, more memory and processing cycle for the developers to pla with then ;)

32 MB's going by 360. Although that's 720p AFAIK, so a bit more for a more streamlined, responsive experience (if the graphics were created as vectors, it could actually be less). 128 MBs should be ample for a very comfortable OS experience with decent background apps. More will be needed if concurrent webpages are going to be loaded.

PS3 reserves, I quote, 48MB for XMB functions at all times but as bkilian said that is not going to work for PS4 ;)
From what Cerny says PS4 has the dedicated units for audio chat, compression/decompression of audio and video so my guess is that not many resources were dedicated to those basic functions.

Last edited by a moderator:

On PS3, they all fit in 512MB, split into 2 pools. You could record DVR (PlayTV) and play a game at the same time with the help of a h/w tuner. But if you ran out of memory, PlayTV would not start (e.g., it can't run in Blu-ray mode). In-game XMB is also slow.

Sony said they don't have enough memory to run cross game chat concurrently with PS3 games. Someone saw CGC working on a development version of XMB though. Perhaps it conflicted with some games because Sony was retrofitting.

On Vita, they could run Skype or an offline music playlist with a game concurrently. Switching is smooth. Vita has a unified 512MB system RAM, and 128MB VRAM. Some teardown site claims there is a 4GB built-in flash RAM in Vita too.

At launch, the Vita multitasking support was limited. We could only run the WebKit browser or the game separately but not together. Now we can switch between them almost seamlessly.

But it can still run out of memory fast and something like the youtube player basically needs more memory than some games ... This however is partly due to the Vita having stupidly slow memory cards (its only real weakness if you ask me)

I personally think though that 1GB should be plenty. I am still sticking with my theory that they went for max 512MB when they were still aiming for 4GB RAM, and now with 8GB they don't have to be stingy and go for a comfortable 1GB, and especially if the built in HDD performs well enough, that should really be plenty.

What happens when you run out of memory in Vita YouTube ?

When the browser is out of memory, it just stalls the page loading. If it's the background app, it will lose the web page content and reload when I switch back. Sometimes, the background app will get kicked out to LiveArea. In which case, I will have to relaunch the app from its LiveArea.

It looks like priority is always given to the game. The apps will have to handle various resource levels, and reloads.

Much of Vita's user experiences is likely impacted by the battery life, more so than the available memory.

EDIT: This is why I hope for a Vita power mode. Half the time, I play Vita games on my bed. The unit is usually connected to the wall power.

But it can still run out of memory fast and something like the youtube player basically needs more memory than some games ... This however is partly due to the Vita having stupidly slow memory cards (its only real weakness if you ask me)

I personally think though that 1GB should be plenty. I am still sticking with my theory that they went for max 512MB when they were still aiming for 4GB RAM, and now with 8GB they don't have to be stingy and go for a comfortable 1GB, and especially if the built in HDD performs well enough, that should really be plenty.

IMHO, this is the most likely scenario. They will have gobs of RAM and decided they can start at a gig and never have to worry about it.

There are 2 questions:
* How much does the OS take ? And how many OSes ? ^_^
* How much can a game have ? How many games or apps can run at the same time ?

Yeah I have seen that too.
DF and VGleaks estimate the OS at 512MB and so far they have been right but I was hoping that some of you guys heard more.

I think it would be wiser for Sony to reserve 1GB at first, 7GB is still a heck lot, and maybe release as they fit.

Still, 512MB would be very sufficient. Raspberry pi model A has 256MB ram, no? It's probably using a good deal of swap disk, tho. So I think a 1GB headroom would serve Sony really well, future-proofing their non-game functions.

What happens when you run out of memory in Vita YouTube ?

It still uses the memory card. I tried watching a big one once, I think it was Carmack's yearly talk, when my memory card was full. It asked me to free up 658MB more memory on the memory card. So it does also use some form of streaming/virtual memory (and you can also tell because it's always quite smooth with scrolling back and forth).

When the browser is out of memory, it just stalls the page loading. If it's the background app, it will lose the web page content and reload when I switch back. Sometimes, the background app will get kicked out to LiveArea. In which case, I will have to relaunch the app from its LiveArea.

It works ok most of the time, but lately rather than telling me that I need more memory, it just seems to go in an endless loop of reloading the page each time it runs out of memory. Now I recognised quite quickly that was the cause, so no big issue for me - I just close the game or close some other apps/tabs - but it should be communicated better.

Much of Vita's user experiences is likely impacted by the battery life, more so than the available memory.

I don't think that's completely true, but certainly it's noticeable that the WiFi is off unless used, which seems quite different from iOS devices (and sometimes appears to cause unnecessary delays, although reconnecting to PSN goes much faster now fortunately than it did in the beginning).

It still uses the memory card. I tried watching a big one once, I think it was Carmack's yearly talk, when my memory card was full. It asked me to free up 658MB more memory on the memory card. So it does also use some form of streaming/virtual memory (and you can also tell because it's always quite smooth with scrolling back and forth).

I see. Forgot about the "disk" usage.

If they use HTTP Live Streaming, a large video would be broken down into many many small files. Their caching scheme should be able to get rid of used segments if there are space constraints. The removed segments will be downloaded again if the user backtrack to the segment.

See if Vita NetFlix has the same problem. It's using HTTP Live Streaming, and of course NetFlix is full of long videos.

It works ok most of the time, but lately rather than telling me that I need more memory, it just seems to go in an endless loop of reloading the page each time it runs out of memory. Now I recognised quite quickly that was the cause, so no big issue for me - I just close the game or close some other apps/tabs - but it should be communicated better.

Yeah, that's what i meant by loading will stall when out of memory. After recognizing it, I closed the unused tabs and refreshed the page to continue.

I don't think that's completely true, but certainly it's noticeable that the WiFi is off unless used, which seems quite different from iOS devices (and sometimes appears to cause unnecessary delays, although reconnecting to PSN goes much faster now fortunately than it did in the beginning).

Because of battery life concerns, some games turn off WiFi explicitly. And yes, PSN network access is connectionless. The PSN apps have to reconnect every time a session opens. The session is closed quickly after use. But this is an app or service design issue, not necessary an inherent OS limitation.

I think they'll play safe and reserve 2Gb for the system. 1Gb, less than 1Gb, may be plenty for what they launch with and maybe for what they have in development now for add in during it's first year of life, but the PS4 is going to be around for many years. Who knows what they may want to ad in 2015 or 2017. Things that aren't even on the horizon because nobodies thought it up yet.

And if they want to keep everything feeling fluid, they'll want all this extra functionality to hang around in the memory reserved for the system. And seriously, 6Gb or 7Gb. That's a bonkers amount of memory for games, many of which will be targeting the 5Gb footprint of Xbox One anyway.

OSMI8xT.png

6tFXeco.png

Sounds like ole Blow is suggesting PS4 is sitting on 5GB of RAM usable for gaming (3GB for OS). Thoughts?

Yeah i believe that is the cap right now. Going off what we know about the killzone demo also.

I have no idea what sony plans to do with 3 GB for OS. Seems crazy but sony is not known for small OS footprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back