News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Japanese cars that you buy in the US are made in the US these days..

And often exported back to Japan.

Of course, most of the components are made elsewhere and imported here for final assembly.

Ahhhh globalization ….

You guys do realize the quality of assembly for PCBs is pretty much the same regardless of what country it's coming from, right?

As someone who designs stuff that is assembled in various countries I have to disagree.

If you will pardon the pun I find the quality is all over the map.

Some countries (and some sub cons) have very high quality and can handle the latest technology and can handle the most complex designs.

Some countries are the best for massive quantities of the lowest cost and often simpler designs with very mature technology.

Some large countries (such as China) have a wide range covering the spectrum.

Etc, etc.

You have to pick the country and the sub-con carefully to match the technology, complexity, quality requirements, reliability requirements, volume, cost, yield, etc.

I've worked in groups that have manufactured simultaneously in subcontractors from different countries, and never heard of any significant problems with manufacturing out of any one country. If anything I've heard of problems with certain sub contractors, regardless of which site we're using. Not that we've covered every combination of sub contractor and country to really know. All I'm saying is you can get good quality out of just about any country that does large scale manufacturing.

Yeah !! So we get here perfectly assembled consoles with working hdmi ports ?

OF COURSE! :)

I think it boils more down to the amount of QC that is used, and of course the people that work at the factory, do they do their work with pride or do they hate it.

Apple's building their new uber sophisticated Mac Pros in the US...

What does building mean? My friend ordered one of the MacPros Retina (through the AppleStore) and it was shipped directly to him from China... That to me sounds as if they are likely assembled there?

EDIT: My appologies, I misread it into thinking he ment MacBook Pro. Thanks Dr. Evil. Please disregard this post (which was off-topic anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
What does building mean? My friend ordered one of the MacPros Retina (through the AppleStore) and it was shipped directly to him from China... That to me sounds as if they are likely assembled there?

Mac Pro

2013_mac_pro.jpg

There are some ps4s were given away to some russian press. Made in China. Don't know about sony plans regarding what country which consoles gets, but the price for ps4 in Russia is european :D

I've heard they've narrowed it down to a single production line in a single factory. That should allow them to work out exactly which units are likely to be affected.

Good to hear, if true. And if Amazon got most of their shipments from that production line, that would explain why they have such a relatively high rate of failure.

Regards,
SB

The MacPro stands shorter and its diameter is also shorter than the width of PS4. It's very heavy though (11lbs) and quiet. 12 core i7 and 2 discrete GPUs. Pretty impressive.

And expensive.

OF COURSE! :)

I think it boils more down to the amount of QC that is used, and of course the people that work at the factory, do they do their work with pride or do they hate it.

Guess thats dependent on how much you are willing to pay for "pride".

Heh heh, glad to know users are embracing spectating and expanding its use:
http://www.geekosystem.com/ps4-talk-show/

Using the PS4′s native ability to stream gameplay over Twitch’s online video streaming service, a couple from Washington starred in their own talk show and drew quite a crowd. The Spartan Show got so many viewers, in fact, that Sony executives tweeted that they were watching and eventually called into the show.

The ingenious couple used the new Sony console’s ability to stream live gameplay to stream themselves from the pack-in game PlayRoom, which uses the PS4 Eye camera (which is not a pack-in, by the way) to put players on the screen. The show started off by demonstrating how to modify the DualShock 4 controller with joysticks from a DualShock 3. Over time, it became a call-in talk show that lasted until early this morning and racked up 200k views.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7...-4-stealth-killer-app-live-game-broadcasting/

Have always thought it'd be a key feature nextgen.

Doesn't surprise me much. Figured Sony would find that money to be made from charging for multiplayer would be too crazy to pass up. Now they know why the competition did it for so long. One thing they might find now that they have all these new paying customers, how much they might be losing in all the extra deals, incentives & free stuff they're giving away. Do they cut back, put more stuff behind the paywall or eat it as the cost of doing more business? Will be interesting to see how they evolve the service now after getting a taste of what's possible.

Tommy McClain

Doesn't surprise me much. Figured Sony would find that money to be made from charging for multiplayer would be too crazy to pass up. Now they know why the competition did it for so long. One thing they might find now that they have all these new paying customers, how much they might be losing in all the extra deals, incentives & free stuff they're giving away. Do they cut back, put more stuff behind the paywall or eat it as the cost of doing more business? Will be interesting to see how they evolve the service now after getting a taste of what's possible.

Tommy McClain

Maybe they let the advertisers pay for it? I mean, a lot of gamers accept that as good practice, so I don't think Sony will pass that up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back