News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The above photo I posted of a twitter account is fake btw, sorry!

Oct is sounding very likely to be the month even still.

Hopefully, they'll improve battery life with that refresh, too.

Disappointing battery life basically is the only real gripe I have with the current Vita model.

I'm quite pleased with it actually ...

Problem is you're not dealing with numbers close to 50%. Sample sizes need to be much much larger when you're sampling for <10%, which typical television ratings are.

The confidence interval of sample size 25k, population size 115 million, confidence level 99%, and a rating of 5% is 5% plus or minus 0.36%.

Which is all the way from 4.64% all the way up to 5.36%.
if the rating is 10% then it's 9.51% all the way up to 10.49%.

Either way there's too much uncertainty in these ratings to properly form up a payment scheme.

Using channel on demand would give you exact numbers and can allow networks to charge much more specifically and avoid issues.
Indeed. You're within 1 million of the real number, an error of less than a percent. For setting advertising rates, it is completely reasonable. The advertisers don't care if you reach exactly 7.5 million users, it's fine for them if you tell them you reach between 5 and 6 million users.

Using channel on demand doesn't help. How many of those users fast forward through ads? How many of them actually watch the channel with any frequency? How many only have the channel for a single show? Just using the concept of how many people have _access_ to a channel is even more error prone than a sample. At least in the sample you can compare the relative popularity of different channels at specific timeslots, which is much more useful data to an advertiser than a count of the mere ability to watch a channel.

Was that the true translation? I know there were words at the end of the SArabia trailer... I hope it's true! 2 days til we find out :)

J38dnia.png

The translations read something like "Be ready for October". But we'll know by this time Wednesday!

Late October sounds crazy...but highly appreciated. Although I wonder when Europe release will be...

I think they have already said that the launch would be world wide. And from comments made by Gamestop they would seem to have a good supply in place.

Hopefully, they'll improve battery life with that refresh, too.

Disappointing battery life basically is the only real gripe I have with the current Vita model.

I would think so. A larger screen would also make it behave like a WiiU pad.

At the same time, I am wondering about that rumored 22nm Cell.

Hopefully I can play the new vita for more than a few minutes before my hands cramp up, otherwise it won't be a win for me. Lol

Doesn't really help. The way cable is rigged is such that the incremental cost tends to be low, with "package discounts".

Example:

Basic cable package (all the big channels and at least a couple ESPN's)+internet=130

Cable by itself=80
Internet by itself=80 (and where I live there's no real options, DSL is much slower)

You can cancel your cable, but they've got it rigged where it wont save you that much. In this case $50.

Saving $600 a year would be a big deal to a lot of people.

Indeed. You're within 1 million of the real number, an error of less than a percent. For setting advertising rates, it is completely reasonable. The advertisers don't care if you reach exactly 7.5 million users, it's fine for them if you tell them you reach between 5 and 6 million users.

Lots of shows are surviving on far less viewers than that, though. You can last on NBC for a few years even if you aren't reliably breaking 2 million viewers. A 1 million margin of error wasn't a big deal in past decades when 10 million viewers was considered borderline. Now, with all the niche programming on cable you have shows with only a few hundred thousand viewers. Advertisers care if you're between 0 and 1 Million viewers, and Neilsen is pretty bad at telling you that now.

Saving $600 a year would be a big deal to a lot of people.

I dont think you got my example...you still need to pay for internet either way. The incremental cost of cable to me is like 50 dollars (130 for cable+net vs. 80 for just net).

So $40 ($10 savings) would kinda not be worth switching over. Plus there'd be other issues like channel selection (this could go either way though) and download caps.

Somebody needs to try ala carte IPtv though. I've been wanting it for years.

I dunno, I thought after the May MS pres the consensus was people arent interested in live TV anymore as it's dying out though :p

Ah, misread your math. In my area the cable internet savings is generally just $10 when you bundle. Looking at the Comcast page now, the 25Mbps internet is $45 a month. If you bundle with their first tier 80 channel package it's $120. And that's before you start adding HD DVRs at $17 a month per TV. So for 2 TVs with DVR, 25Mbps internet and 80 channels you're at $154 a month*. If this Sony service is $60 a month or less, and doesn't need DVRs but can just do live TV or On Demand from any PS4, PS3, iOS, Android or PC device connected to the internet in your home, that would be a substantial savings.

*I'm using the normal prices, not the "Switch now and sign a contract to get a great introductory price that goes away in 6 months!" prices the advertise.

Somebody needs to try ala carte IPtv though. I've been wanting it for years.

I dunno, I thought after the May MS pres the consensus was people arent interested in live TV anymore as it's dying out though :p

It's simple -- people aren't interested in something Microsoft does, but the moment it's done by someone else such as Sony or Apple then they're interested, just like this TV multimedia buzz. :p

No. Hinging your strategy on a dying TV distribution model that was dependent on external receivers was stupid. There was a reason all the predictions before the Xbox One reveal revolved around just this kind of IPTV offering. What we actually got didn't save anyone money, break any monopolies or appreciably improve the viewing experience. A real IPTV service has the potential to do all that, and in this case without compromising the PS4 design in any way.

No. Hinging your strategy on a dying TV distribution model that was dependent on external receivers was stupid. There was a reason all the predictions before the Xbox One reveal revolved around just this kind of IPTV offering. What we actually got didn't save anyone money, break any monopolies or appreciably improve the viewing experience. A real IPTV service has the potential to do all that, and in this case without compromising the PS4 design in any way.

What I don't understand is how can the typical Playstation customer base handle an iptv service when said customer base made it abundantly clear in forums worldwide as well as this forum for months now that they have unreliable internet, or their internet is slow, or they have internet bandwidth caps, or that they don't like anything that requires a constant internet connection, etc. Microsoft's idea for live tv doesn't depend on any of the above so it seems like that would be more what the Playstation customers would prefer no? Iptv on the other hand is affected by all of the above items that are known to be serious issues to the Playstation customer base, seems like this would be a serious roadblock to it's acceptance.

What I don't understand is how can the typical Playstation customer base handle an iptv service when said customer base made it abundantly clear in forums worldwide as well as this forum for months now that they have unreliable internet, or their internet is slow, or they have internet bandwidth caps, or that they don't like anything that requires a constant internet connection, etc. Microsoft's idea for live tv doesn't depend on any of the above so it seems like that would be more what the Playstation customers would prefer no? Iptv on the other hand is affected by all of the above items that are known to be serious issues to the Playstation customer base, seems like this would be a serious roadblock to it's acceptance.

The difference is that IPTV is an optional, secondary, individual service that will be adopted by those that want it and can. Its different than requiring mandatory internet connection for game performance which is the standard main use of a console.

Because the theoretical IPTV service isn't a PS4 feature. It's not even a PlayStation service. It's a Sony service. It has zero impact on games. It is understood as a service that requires the internet. They aren't selling you a physical disc and telling you you can't look at the episodes on it unless your internet is working. The same way PlayStation customers can understand and accept the internet requirements for Netflix, they can make an informed decision to accept the requirements for IPTV. If PlayStation customers don't want that, well, they can keep using the TV they already have, no Xbox One needed.

Cable and internet service can be intermittent now; I'm pretty sure the general theme wrt to 'always on' was will I be able to access my games if my internet service is down & what happens in the future when MS shuts down the servers? You're exaggerating what was said to make a point; you might just as well say can I access MP if the internet is down. To put it another way cable/satellite have always depended on the connection; gaming otoh till now largely has not.

The appeal of IPTV for many in this case is that:

• the PS4 is the content provider
  • the hardware isn't being compromised to provide the additional service
  • the service (best case scenario) would be ala carte - again not forcing you to pay for channels you don't want

But its just easier to say everyone hates MS rather than acknowledge that they are:
  • charging more money upfront
  • locking core functionality behind a LIVE paywall
  • forcing motion controls on users
  • compromising the graphic specs to include tech that hasn't been proven to improve gaming

If MS releases an IPTV service which works independent of my cable/satellite box I'll be interested. I have zero interest in using Kinect to change channels or daisy chain content thru set top box to XB1 then to my AV receiver and then thru to my TV. And I am not going to pay anyone a monthly fee for the privilege of saying volume up or channel 144 - my remote works just fine.

What I don't understand is how can the typical Playstation customer base handle an iptv service when said customer base made it abundantly clear in forums worldwide...
This conversation again? The other time you raised your annoyance at the internet forum warriors, you said yourself you know exactly the sources for appreciating what the internet provides, and you know it's perfectly adequate for the job, as shown by people using internet TV services for years (Netflix, iPlayer, etc.). You're not that stupid you really believe the internet (in Europe?) is too weak to support this service, nor can you really believe that a noteworthy proportion of people who use such services went online to rant against MS's moves.

If you want to whinge once again about how the internet broke MS's vision, please do it in a suitable thread. This thread is for discussing PS4, and IPTV isn't a shocking announcement or anything new. Hell, we've already talked about a new internet TV service coming to XB1 and you didn't feel the need to cry foul in that thread over exactly the same principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back