RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Not significant, but it will add development time. OTOH, since they are basically using a shipped engine it means they should have more programmer team hours to use up. Also, even before this announcement, JC had said they'd be looking to improve the renderer for DOOM while everything else in id Tech 5 would stay roughly the same so maybe there's some efficiency to be gained here.

Playing Devil's advocate here but if JC really meant what he said about the PC not being worth additional dedicated development time then this latest revelation seems to be a contradiction. Hmmm... could just be that they took a hit on sales but it seems a bit premature to base decisions on. Perhaps this topic surfaced during those id-AMD discussions.

I think for D4 the forward-looking way to focus on console development is to build a game for a very high spec PC. If they spend ~3 years on it they will probably want to port to the new 2015 console hardware. So, focus on high end PC now, and have a pretty good looking port for console launch time. I expect D4 will be fully DX11.

I think for D4 the forward-looking way to focus on console development is to build a game for a very high spec PC. If they spend ~3 years on it they will probably want to port to the new 2015 console hardware. So, focus on high end PC now, and have a pretty good looking port for console launch time. I expect D4 will be fully DX11.

AFAIK D4 is targeting current Gen consoles... Tge game's release isn't 3/4 years away. I'm betting on fall 2012 next year or Q1/Q3 2013.

3 years is a long time in PC space. Is it really going to look that impressive to us if they're targetting the high end we have now? Makes business sense, I guess.. but it seems so... average... for a company with their history. Surely everyone making next gen console games with a 3 year away release date is targeting todays high end.

3 years is a long time in PC space. Is it really going to look that impressive to us if they're targetting the high end we have now? Makes business sense, I guess.. but it seems so... average... for a company with their history. Surely everyone making next gen console games with a 3 year away release date is targeting todays high end.

id wasn't targeting the high end in the past really either. Their games were amazing b/c they scaled really well and as new hardware came out they just got faster and faster and faster. I personally think this is a good thing they have done b/c they are really putting the multiple threads to use. I am glad to see cpu cores being used for something again in games. Anandtech's benchmarks show that.

As to the gameplay as said it is personal preference, but I really enjoyed it.

PC sales for Rage are going to be around 10% of the combined console sales - so they can't afford a release that wouldn't perform well on the X360 and PS3. They are aiming for 30fps though which should leave them enough room to improve visuals even further.

Also, lack of dynamic lighting is quite probable, so they'll probably not follow in Doom 3's footsteps. And the IP still has some serious credit today...

AFAIK D4 is targeting current Gen consoles... Tge game's release isn't 3/4 years away. I'm betting on fall 2012 next year or Q1/Q3 2013.

So they've had another team working on it? Because otherwise, even though they have said they're going to speed up their time per title, there is just no way id will bang out a game in a year flat.

They've been working on Doom4 for quite a while now with a separate team, and also redirected all developers from Rage as soon as they've finished (which means several months from now for most people). I wouldn't be suprised if they'd make a 2012 november release date or so.

They've been working on Doom4 for quite a while now with a separate team, and also redirected all developers from Rage as soon as they've finished (which means several months from now for most people). I wouldn't be suprised if they'd make a 2012 november release date or so.

I remember reading somewhere that they advertised positions for doom4, but a lot of the people worked on other stuff (RAGE) first. I am pretty sure I saw/heard/read that anyway.

on PC it does... :p
Everywhere. People port it to phones, it has been on almost every console back to SNES, etc.

Though really I'm not sure what to expect from yet another iteration of it. I kinda wish they were doing that Quake 1 style reboot instead. Quake 1 was bizarre stuff.

I think if they released a Quake reboot and just called it "Quake" it would do very well, especially on PC. Assuming they don't screw it with consolitis of course.

The same goes for Epic if they did an Unreal reboot.

Everytime I see the name Quake, I lament the fact that Carmack was never able to realize his initial vision of what Quake should be.

Everytime I see the name Unreal, I lament the fact that Tim Sweeny was never able to realize his initial vision of what Unreal should be.

That said it would be interesting to see to see each game with virtually the same gameplay but with modern graphics. Although Quake might be a bit boring or anachronistic if you used the existing level designs (same for Q2). I always preferred Doom gameplay to Quake's also. It was far more hectic with being mobbed at times by scores of ememies at once. It may have only been 2.5D but that allowed it to have a number of onscreen enemies attacking you that Quake could never hope to match.

Unreal however you could probably use the existing level designs and just upgrade graphics, terrain, and models and have a fantastic experience yet again.

Regards,
SB

doom5.png

:D

bicubic upsample is better than hi res? this doesnt look like a 50-60gb patch to me.. dont know much this stuff though just want to know your opinions..

It's basically an attempt to fix the low res/blurry textures via an engine change/option without putting out a giganto texture pack. There is no way it'd be better than a giganto(Amazing word, giganto. Just say it out loud) texture pack.

It is probably an experiment that never made it into the released product. It sounds to me like it just generates pseudo higher levels of detail from the highest one available. I imagine it probably looks better but not great.

I doubt the console could do any more processing anyway. PCs have extra power for some of them anyway.

BTW I have to say that the loading times in Rage make me smile compared to most games :)

Back