HTML5 on consoles

That rumor says next Spring or so. You only need to think of a 4-6 month project to do. ;-)

Not trying to start this again but I meant two months (Air) and yes 5 months or possibly less to an announcement.

And it starts; A little bit more than a rumor:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/11/09/a-quick-chat-with-google-tvs-lead-dev-about-the-network-blockade-apps-and-google-tv-hitting-the-ps3/

I spent some time this afternoon talking to Google TV’s product managers, Salahuddin Choudhary, about what’s wrong with the platform today and where it’s going. Let’s just say my interest was restored. Google TV will live up to its potential.

I stated in our review that Google TV seems half-baked. That’s particularly true when it’s noted that apps won’t hit the system until 2011. But sometime next year, the entire Android Marketplace will appear on Google TV. Yeah, all the apps are coming to the Google TV platform: Angry Birds, Google Earth, Robo Defense. They’re committed, for better or worse, to support the entire back catalog. If you thought an iPhone app looks horrible upscaled to 2x on the iPad, just wait until the Android port hits your 50-inch LCD.

Of course I was assured that they are working on the scaling and they might look fine, but smartphone apps are fundamentally different than Google TV apps. I’m expecting a lot of disappointed GTV owners once the Android Marketplace hits the platform and they install their favorite Android smartphone apps.

But there’s going to be another sort of Android app. One designed just for Google TV and a “full range of developers” are already on board. The few apps of Pandora, NBA Gametime, Netflix are really just a proof of concept. They were included to show what Google TV could do, but I would argue that they added to the half-baked taste. Besides Netflix and Pandora, the rest are officially meh.

We talked briefly about the content provider’s stance and blocking of Google TV, but there was no hint of concern or worry like I expected. Google TV is looked upon internally as a product that works with cable, not against it. Video web portals like Hulu are just one source of content for Google TV. It also links up with Amazon VOD and Netflix, which, while they’re pay sites, do offer a fairly extensive library of content that’s free from ads. “It’s up the networks,” Salahuddin said when asked about the blocking situation.

Oh, and my final question of “Is Google TV coming to the PS3?” was met with a surprised chuckle and quick “no comment.” So yeah, Google TV is coming to the PS3. Somehow. Maybe. I really don’t know.

RE: No Input for Google TV HDMI in

ATSC and QAM8 are the encoding methods for over the air and Cable digital TV. All use Mpeg2 compression and in the case of ATSC Mpeg2 TS to compress the digital video allowing it to have a smaller bandwidth. The smaller bandwidth allows the stream to fit through a USB port. The PlayTV/GoogleTV combination could work for everything except cable boxes and Satellite TV boxes. It can accept a Mpeg2 stream from over the air or cable and just pass it through the USB port as it does now.

HDMI from a cable box is uncompressed video and audio and requires a several times larger bandwidth and it can also be encrypted for HDCP. This uncompressed HDMI video can not fit through a USB port.

There are several schemes to use network cable and ports to transfer HDMI video over the network. This pushes the capabilities of even a Gigabit network so the interface hardware compresses the HDMI to use less bandwidth. With compression the bandwidth drops to below 1 Gbit/s, enough so that the network can still support 100 Mbit/sec internet. At least that's what both HDBaseT and wireless HDMI claim. Uncompressed HDMI video rarely uses the 9 Gbit/sec that is needed for very fast moving multi colored screens with multiple small objects. That type of image could not be compressed enough without loss to allow Internet as you stated but that type of high bandwidth video is rare. In fact it is rare enough that ATSC and QAM8 Mpeg2 streams can't handle the bandwidth either so fast moving objects with scrolling screens pixelate as the information is not available. It's currently expensive but economy of scale could reduce the cost and make this a practical method of getting HDMI into the PS3. See: HDBaseT and wireless HDMI

It might be possible for the PS3 to enable this with a firmware update but you would still need a HDMI to eithernet converter on the other end. Again, chicken and egg, Google TV and Google TV on the PS3 would have to be popular enough to have an economy of scale that would drive the price of the adapter and software mods for the PS3 to an acceptable level. The HDMI to eithernet can also be used by other platforms but again the hardware cost for that would be doubled (one adapter on each end of the cable) and it needs to be cheap enough to be practical.

Low Signal to noise or Mpeg decoding circuits trying to decode a compressed image stream that has "distorted" due to trying to compress when there is more information than it should have, causes noise, artifacts and pixelization that actually increases the bandwidth needed by the HDMI analog port. Good image processing in the TV takes the HDMI and smooths edges, reduces artifacts and judder. So High end TVs take a HDMI in with these errors needing high bandwith, cleans the video up and that results in a better picture that needs less bandwidth. And that circuitry is expensive and only seen in high end TVs like "120Hz or 240 Hz TVs".

The Video chat feature for the PS3 has issues because the PS3 camera has a low S/N ratio with low light. With slower connections the image appears to looks better because the codec used changes and noise which is high freq is compressed out of the stream.

AT&T Universe boxes and Verizon Fios send the broadcast compressed stream across the cable TV cable inside your home so that you can play a DVR video from room to room (Also show pictures residing in your PC through other cable TV set top boxes). Xbox now has a special arrangement with AT&T and the Xbox can DVR play a recorded movie that resides on a AT&T DVR and that is sent trough the home Network. With cooperation from Cable companies this can be done for the PS3 and Google TV which would eliminate both control issues and bandwidth issues as we would be dealing with the compressed broadcast Mpeg2 stream. (The stream is now or will be encrypted.)

The reason for the long explanation above: if you can get the Mpeg2 broadcast video stream before it is converted to analog HDMI video and "errors" are added to the stream which takes more bandwidth to display which creates the issues causing high HDMI bandwidth which requires compression which causes a loss of detail and hardware costs as in the above, multiple issues are resolved.

Chances of this happening are low if the networks and cable companies consider Google TV the competition.

The reaction by networks and cable companies blocking Google TV, the PS3 and other boxes connected to TVs for on-demand and internet access to movie sites free to PCs has implications that must be resolved for Google TV to have access to DVR boxes via the home network. Commercials pay for "Free" TV, Google makes money for advertising displayed while using their services so they understand this. An appropriate model using something like Flash for DRM and insuring commercials are kept in the stream could resolve this for Google TV.

When you consider the above in italics, the HDMI 1.4 standard includes internet and the recent Xbox - AT&T DVR playing ability over the network as well as Google TV not including a IR Blaster database to control all set top boxes when that would have been easy to do might indicate Google knows control & DVR play via network or control via HDMI CEC is coming but not yet implemented by Cable boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Verizon Fios has just started advertising Movies on-demand everywhere and even have a picture of a Screen inside a Car. This is an example of something like Ultraviolet or may be the first example of Ultraviolet actually being used.

http://parksassociates.blogspot.com/

"Video-on-Demand as a Cloud Service: Verizon FiOS Flex View is the first known intiative of which I'm aware, but we'll see other. Whether or not they adhere to the UltraViolet brand from the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE) or Disney KeyChest is another matter."

Partners in Ultraviolet include Adobe which I believe is supplying Adobe Air 2.5 which will be used for DRM and for the player in most cases.

Verizon FiOS is not listed, the following is a list of the original members, it may not be current:

Adobe, Akamai, Alcatel-Lucent, Arxan Technologies, Ascent Media, Best Buy, BT, CableLabs, Catch Media, CinemaNow, Cineplex Entertainment, Cisco, Comcast, Cox Communications, CSG Systems, Deluxe, DivX, Dolby, DTS, FilmFlex, Fox Entertainment, Hewlett-Packard, Huawei Technologies, IBM, Intel, Irdeto, LG Electronics, Liberty Global, Lionsgate, LOVEFiLM, Marvell Semiconductor, Microsoft, MOD Systems, Motorola, Nagravision, NBC Universal, NDS Group, Netflix, Neustar, Nokia, Panasonic, Paramount Pictures, Philips, RIAA, Red Bee Media, Rovi, Saffron Digital, Samsung, Sonic Solutions, Sony, Switch Communications, Tesco, Thomson, Toshiba, Verance, Verimatrix, VeriSign, Warner Brothers, Widevine Technologies, Zoran

ALL updates for players apps and players after PS3 firmware 3.5 are, I believe, using Adobe Air 2.5 in some way and Adobe Air 2.5 is in the PS3 now.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/home-theater/verizon-launches-flex-view
-movie-streaming-app-for-fios-subsc...

"Verizon’s FiOS TV service is branching out to mobile devices, just unleashing the Flex View video on demand app for Android, Blackberry, and Windows Mobile handhelds. It gives FiOS subscribers the ability to rent or purchase movies from FiOS’s collection of titles (the app itself is free) and watch them not only on phones, but also on your PC or your HDTV."

All the platforms mentioned have Air 2.5 Flash support and the two platforms in the next paragraph that are not supported do not have Air 2.5 flash support (iPhone & iPad).

"The list of compatible devices is small and not surprisingly full of ones that Verizon sells, like the Droid 2, Droid X, and Blackberry Storm, though Flex View is also available for portables running Windows Mobile 6.5. Notably, there’s no iPhone or iPad support currently. Flex View gives you the option to rent a movie for a 30-day period — with either 24 or 48 hours to view it once you start playing it — or you can purchase the movie. Movies come in standard definition or high definition, the latter being obviously best suited for TV viewing.

Your movie can be watched on up to five devices, but the biggest convenience you want — the ability to pause a video on one device and then continuing watching from that spot on another one — isn’t available on launch. The lack of Apple support extends to computer viewing, as Flex View won’t work on Macs.

If you’re a FiOS subscriber and don’t have a Netflix subscription, Flex View may be a handy app for watching videos on the go, but it looks like you’ll have to wait to get some live TV streaming on your phone or tablet device."

Apple is not allowing Flash on it's products and as a result ultraviolet does not work on Apple products without Flash.

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/09/01/sonys-upcoming-qriocity-clo
ud-based-music-service-will-be-comp...

"Qriocity is a network service platform that connects many of Sony’s network-enabled devices and allows consumers to enjoy high quality entertainment across multiple devices. Through Qriocity, Sony will deliver a variety of digital entertainment content and services that are “powered by Qriocity”, including video, music, game applications, and e-books over time, and through these services, and in combination with its networked devices, Sony aims to bring new and exciting entertainment experiences to customers.

Today at the IFA 2010 show in Berlin, Sony announced plans to introduce “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity”, a new, cloud-based, digital music service. Available by year’s end, “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity” will give music lovers access to millions of songs stored and synchronized through the cloud. “Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity” will initially be available across Sony’s 2010 models of network-enabled BRAVIA TVs, Blu-ray Disc players, Blu-ray Home Theater systems, as well as PlayStation 3 computer entertainment systems and VAIOs and other personal computers, and will become increasingly available on a range of Sony’s portable devices."

Sony is a founding member of Ultraviolet, Qriocity will be cloud served to multiple devices using Ultraviolet or some custom scheme for DRM inside Sony (on Sony platforms). Air 2.5 is available on the same platform types as in the paragraph above.

Otay… this is going to make jeff jump and clap his hands. ^_^

I bumped into an ex-NetFlix guy about 15 minutes ago. He developed the test framework for NetFlix's 3.0 SDK a few months ago. He had 2 PS3es in his cube/room for testing purposes. Here's what he said to me:

1. Yes, there is a HTML5-ish interface for PS3 (and other devices).

2. If using NetFlix 3.0 SDK, the NetFlix app runs on JavaScript and (DOM ?) events. PS3 does support NetFlix 3.0 client. He was testing it.

3. Instead of using <VIDEO> tag, NetFlix uses <OBJECT> tag. But the other interfaces follow HTML5 closely.

I fired up the PS3 NetFlix client to show him. He couldn't tell me if this version uses NetFlix 3.0 SDK or not (Yes, NetFlix wrote the client).

Finally he mentioned that Broadcom also ported a limited subset of WebKit to their chip(s). NetFlix will abandon Flash and Silverlight (if not already done so). Apple may have a different arrangement. He wasn't sure about the details.

EDIT: If the info is accurate... I think in practical terms, we can only conclude that PS3 has a standalone JavaScript run-time. The design goal (for NetFlix) is to use HTML5. So this JavaScript engine may have basic HTML5 support. Advanced features may be missing (e.g., no <Video> tag).

3. Instead of using <VIDEO> tag, NetFlix uses <OBJECT> tag. But the other interfaces follow HTML5 closely.
NetFlix will abandon Flash and Silverlight (if not already done so). Apple may have a different arrangement. He wasn't sure about the details.
The design goal (for NetFlix) is to use HTML5. So this JavaScript engine may have basic HTML5 support. Advanced features may be missing (e.g., no <Video> tag).

They use html OBJECT tag for Flash plugin in PS3 for now(?), not some ps3 native mp4 video component guid identifier. Wonder if they are able to blend html5 div and/or canvas animations with pixel perfect alpha channel. No problem if all overlay animation is run within Flash plugin, but your NetFlix source suggests all platforms are moving away from it.

I have not tried how smooth PC IE9/FF4/Chrome hardware renderings can play html5 video and html canvas pixel animations on top of it.

Yeah, I kinda grilled him over a few details, but he couldn't tell me. He insisted that it's HTML5 for all devices except for Apple. He's not a gamer at all, and is a down to earth guy. So if there's any misunderstanding, it's likely due to not enough details to classify whether NetFlix's tech is really HTML5 (even for him). It seems that internally, NetFlix refer to 3.0 as a HTML5 project nonetheless.

I doubt canvas support is in. The original WebKit didn't have canvas support right ? I don't think NetFlix needs it. The "poster" image for each video can be (or rather, are usually) pre-generated.

For people hoping for a straight Android port to Playstation...
http://gizmodo.com/5689262/the-reas...android-is-because-android-isnt-secure-enough

Netflix says: "The hurdle has been the lack of a generic and complete platform security and content protection mechanism available for Android." They can't get Netflix on Android because they can't get a secure DRM system across Android devices.

EDIT: Hmm.... unless Sony engineer something in, like a Cell-like security ? ^_^

For people hoping for a straight Android port to Playstation...
http://gizmodo.com/5689262/the-reas...android-is-because-android-isnt-secure-enough

EDIT: Hmm.... unless Sony engineer something in, like a Cell-like security ? ^_^

For a while now, ever since launch in fact, the HTC Desire Z/Tmobile G2 was considered the most secure from a manufacturers point-of-view, because they had a NAND restore feature that would automatically reverse any root/unauthorized OS installed. Well, it took a little over a month to by-pass, but they did it!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/10/t-mobile-mytouch-4g-rooted-has-g2-root-to-thank-for-it/

Now, even newer (albeit related) devices have permanent root achieved.

I haven't actually rooted my G2, since shortly after a solution was found, I got an OTA update that provided what I would have rooted it for: a stock Froyo (2.2) update with USB Tethering and Wireless AP enabled.

Some of the preliminary information I've seen regarding the solution is that it was achieved after HTC released the OpenSource components of their software, as they were required to.

Would be interesting to see how far they can push it. The HTC incident will serve as a case study for security researchers. Android market is growing. At some point, content companies will be willing to take some risk in cheap content. If it's something like the Cell security, it would live below the OS, inside the CPU, and self-sufficient; not an "external" firmware restore mechanism.

Otay… this is going to make jeff jump and clap his hands. ^_^

I bumped into an ex-NetFlix guy about 15 minutes ago. He developed the test framework for NetFlix's 3.0 SDK a few months ago. He had 2 PS3es in his cube/room for testing purposes. Here's what he said to me:

1. Yes, there is a HTML5-ish interface for PS3 (and other devices).

2. If using NetFlix 3.0 SDK, the NetFlix app runs on JavaScript and (DOM ?) events. PS3 does support NetFlix 3.0 client. He was testing it.

I fired up the PS3 NetFlix client to show him. He couldn't tell me if this version uses NetFlix 3.0 SDK or not (Yes, NetFlix wrote the client).

Finally he mentioned that Broadcom also ported a limited subset of WebKit to their chip(s). NetFlix will abandon Flash and Silverlight (if not already done so). Apple may have a different arrangement. He wasn't sure about the details.

EDIT: If the info is accurate... I think in practical terms, we can only conclude that PS3 has a standalone JavaScript run-time. The design goal (for NetFlix) is to use HTML5. So this JavaScript engine may have basic HTML5 support. Advanced features may be missing (e.g., no <Video> tag).

The minimal HTML & javascript features required by Netflix listed above could be supplied by Air, it doesn't even require a newer version but the IPTV and iplayer from the BBC appear to require the newer version of Air. There is a Canvas project mentioned which seems to mean they are going to move from Flash to an all HTML5 in another year. Currently they are supporting multiple platforms with different streams.

The above from the Netflix guy seems to confirm the Wii was listed as Widevine compatible because it had external to browser javascript support provided by Air 2.0 and then the PS3 probably had external javascript support provided by Air 2.5 after Firmware 3.5

This now invalidates my statements about a partial webkit in the PS3. In the short term Sony can just use Air for most of the Web Apps. With time the limited HTML support provided by Air will not be enough. For Air to support full HTML it needs the support of a Webkit in the PS3.

Good point of this is Air 2.5 is a superset of Flash 10.1 and the PS3 compiler to be able to compile C+ code for Squirrellfish extreme (Javascript engine in Air and Webkit) means it should be able to handle Google Chrome and the V8 javascript engine which JIT compiles to native language just as Squirrellfish extreme does.

Lovefilm which from older news articles was going to use Widevine for the Player (What Netflix uses) now appears to be using Pushbutton.

http://www.pushbutton.tv/work/pushbutton-builds-lovefilm-service-
for-playstation-3

Pushbutton has designed and built a LOVEFiLM app to enable PS3™ users to manage their account, view trailers, read reviews, select Blu-ray discs to be sent through the post and, best of all, have movies streamed directly over the Internet to their PS3™.

When a movie is played on the PS3™, users have all of the controls they would have with a DVD disc – pause, fast forward, stop, rewind, and play.

Using the PS3™ controller, you can search for your favourite actor, genre, or browse pre-selected LOVEFiLM collections. But it’s not all one way traffic. This is a fully interactive service, so when you have viewed the movie, reach for your DualShock and rate it.

At the heart of the LOVEFiLM PlayStation®3 service is Pushbutton’s powerful Calcium© engine. This core code enables Pushbutton to develop cross-platform applications, specifically tailored for the TV experience.

The service is now live and is FREE to existing LOVEFiLM customers.

Pushbutton Managing Director, Paula Byrne, said “This is a slick and elegant app that PS3 players are going to love. It is also our second SONY app for LOVEFiLM, and we are immensely proud to be associated with these two household names in electronic media.”

Pushbutton has also been chosen to support BBC iPlayer because the company supports multiple platforms.

Technical
· Microsoft Mediaroom Development
· Yahoo TV Widget Development
· Flash Development (AS3 OOP and AS2)
· XML, XHTML, Javascript and CSS
· Red button design, commissioning, and delivery

"Today's announcement will allow LOVEFiLM to build upon our leadership in launching compelling and ground-breaking video content on many different platforms. Our work with Pushbutton over the last 12 months has convinced us that they are the absolute best partner to work with as we accelerate our digital roll out plans internationally. Their ability to quickly get to grips with delivering to a diverse range of digital platforms including consoles, IPTV and a multiplicity of connected TV's and handheld devices is second to none. They were the obvious choice of partner in what is a very exciting period in the digital growth of LOVEFiLM."

It now becomes harder to determine what player is being supported in the PS3.

Yeah, I knew you would pop the question. He confirmed that NetFlix abandoned Flash run-time in 3.0.

What does that mean; they aren't using the player but might use the javascript support provided by Air?

There are two separate issues, the UI which we all agree is using a javascript engine and the player which is provided by widevine. Or has that changed also and 4 month old news is inaccurate just as the LoveFilm news was inaccurate.

The Javascript engine (outside a browser) can be provided by widevine, Adobe Air or Sony. What makes sense is using Air since it is needed for Ultraviolet, provides DRM and adaptive streaming and prevents commercial blocking. It also tags downloaded media with both an expiration date and copyright flag.

Air was rewritten to fit in TVs and Blu-Ray players as well as handhelds, I believe, to support Ultraviolet.

The Lovefilm application available from the PS store is only 2.2 megs. It downloads the application from the Lovefilm servers. This tells us nothing other than they are doing a better job at producing a smaller distribution client. What we can notice is that the UI elements in Lovefilm look similar to the UI elements in Netflix. If there is a connection then the common element would be IN THE PS3.

The inaccuracy seen in News Articles only a few months old would tend to support a rapid evolution in Media serving is occurring. Due to this it is next to impossible to determine what is being used in the PS3. Add to this that everyone is supporting multiple streams due to "business decisions" made by MS and Apple. All appear to be moving toward HTML5 but it's not mature enough to support commercial Streaming.

Custom players may be used with HTML5 javascript to provide "commercial" features needed but not in HTML5 at present. Or they can all have jumped to using Air 2.5 which is now available for most platforms. Adobe has stated they are working on a Flash to HTML5 conversion program; this would comfort those on the fence about choosing Flash now then having to rewrite their application for HTML5. Apple and the Xbox are the problem and the only negative in choosing Flash now. For BBC iPlayer, they can not support the Xbox as MS charges for internet access and so they need to support just Flash and Apple, both may use HTML for the UI.

Any news or information from former employees older than 2 - 5 months may be inaccurate given the rapid changes I'm seeing. Any speculation is also impossible given the rapid changes. The UIs are probably HTML5ish, the players can be anything.

This in response to a letter to Pushbutton which is providing the application for the PS3 for LoveFilm, I asked about the Calcium engine they state is being used in the PS3.

Calcium is our own development framework that we use to recreate TV interfaces on CE devices. It uses our own Javascript libraries to recreate common TV navigation controls across a number of browsers and devices.

In summary Calcium provides:

• Application framework developed by Pushbutton specifically for the creation of IPTV apps
• Supports the rapid development of apps by providing solid solutions to common problems
• Encourages good development practices with clean architecture and reusable code
• Facilitates the porting of apps to new IPTV platforms by encapsulating key change points
• Designed with low power, low resource systems in mind, and built from the ground up for TV remote based interaction
• Will be deployed on approximately 5 million consumer devices by the end of 2010

There was a disclaimer attached stating that it might be illegal to relay the above information but the bullet points above are in their webpage. So I'm assuming that the disclaimer is attached to all email. The only thing spelled out and new is the first line in the quote, that the engine is composed of javascript routines. We'd already guessed that and anyone with more experience in this industry should know it so that should not create an issue in disclosure.

Further I would guess that the actual player is not written by them but that they use other true engines (javascript runtime engine) and web tools provided by other companies like Mediacenter from Microsoft or Flash & Air from Adobe. This is also stated in their on-line web site.

Some of their example applications make quite extensive use of HTML and on-line databases. It's an example of a group of programmers filling a niche market and doing it well.

The bullet points seem to indicate that the company writes applications for multiple platforms now and will help in the transition to full HTML5 using a group of routines (Calcium engine) that have key points for HTML5 conversion already written in.

The PS3 BBC iPlayer will be written in cooperation with Pushbutton. They will in turn drag multiple other ipTV sites into also being supported by Pushbutton.

The Apple platforms being closest to true HTML5 support with adaptive streaming being supported by Apple Webkits.

From the PSN Forum:

One last point: You mentioned somewhere in all this back and forth that with firmware 3.5 the PS3 may already support ultraviolet. I would point out that the PS3 is still not listed as supported by Qriocity. Qriocity will be a ultraviolet cloud served service.

I suspect that this supports your view that the next update will be 4.0 with support for Ultraviolet and other internal PS3 OS changes to "play nice" with coming features. "Now if Sony follows the Jeff_rigby path to the future with Google, then we'll likely see a firmware 4.00 that sets up the ground work necessary to make the PS3 play nice with Google TV, Google Chrome, and what ever else."

After 4.0 the PS3 will be listed as supporting Qriocity. Unfortunately it probably won't have many visible benefits which will piss off the users here.

Divx TV might come to the PS3 in a future update....it looks like it is coming to some gaming platform and I believe the Wii is not powerful enough to support it. So that leaves the Xbox and the PS3. On the PS3 limited to PSN Plus users and a charge for others? Listed with the 4.0 update? Looks like the price would be $19.00 to non-plus users.

It appears that Divx TV could be an Air application. http://www.divx.com/en/partner/divx-tv Remember the PS3 has Divx VOD support, it's listed in settings. Streaming high quality video benefits Sony, a Divx TV player is a big plus. If so it would be the first and how Sony handles it could answer many questions we have raised in this thread.

You mentioned a survey you took and at the time I/we assumed it was about a future Chrome browser or Google TV. What if it was about Air applications......

A little history;

Best buy is an Ultraviolet & Google TV partner; Sony is a Ultraviolet partner and produces Google TV products
Best buy is in partnership with Sonic to stream Videos; Sony produces videos
Sonic is purchasing Dixv, which has a high quality streamable codec; this codec is on the PS3 NOW (see settings)
Best buy to steam video just like Netflix; Sony PS3 to have a a Divx TV application to support streaming videos and more?

http://www.daemonnews.org/g2p/dl/sonic%2Bfree%2Briders%2Bap%2B2.5 .html

Sonic said it expects revenue for the current quarter of about $26 million, assuming the acquisition of DivX Inc. doesn't close before the quarter's end. Analysts have been expecting $26.4 million in revenue.
Sonic Solutions in June announced the deal to buy DivX for $323 million in cash and stock.

SAN FRANCISCO – Best Buy Co. is about to give its customers one less reason to buy DVDs.

The largest U.S. consumer electronics retailer said Tuesday that it will start renting and selling the latest video releases overhigh-speed Internet connections by the end of this month. It will compete against an array of other similar services offered by Wal-Mart Stores, Amazon.com Inc., Netflix Inc., Apple Inc. and Blockbuster Inc.

Best Buy began working on the digital delivery system late last year as part of a partnership with Sonic Solutions.

The service will bear the CinemaNow brand, which Best Buy bought from Sonic Solutions for an undisclosed amount. SonicSolutions will provide the technology for piping the video to buyers.

Best Buy eventually intends to reach all the Web-connected devices sold through its more than 1,000 stores. For starters, it will be available on some Blu-ray players made by LG Electronics and some home theater packages sold by Best Buy. Next in line: Samsung's Internet-ready Blu-ray players and TVS.

LG electronics will be first to have Divx TV player http://www.divx.com/en/partner/divx-tv/news And guess who makes Sony Blu-ray players and TVs

So I would guess that Divx TV is coming to the PS3 with Firmware 4.0, Ultraviolet and Qriocity will be enabled with 4.0, Ultraviolet applications are based on Air 2.5.

Does anyone here even do much browsing the web on their consoles? Considering all the alternative devices i have in my home like netbook,htpc and galaxy tab, the console is the last thing i'd use to browse the web, especially considering the ease and comfort of a cheapo linux netbook or something. but thats me.

I do (doing it now). I would love to do everything from my console browser. What's not to love about that (comfy couch and huge screen tied into a nice surround sound system)?

No Flash = No AIR. Also I've seen no indication of WebKit or Chrome in the PS3 firmware.

There are multiple confirm-able indications of a javascript engine outside a browser which on other platforms before webkit2 was provided by ADOBE Air. The EU iPTV applications like Mubi are using Flash 3.5 streams which would require Air 2.5 or a custom Flash clone of Air 2.5.

Beyond the above it's speculation. The best-easiest to support speculation is that Air 2.5 is in the PS3 now with PS3 firmware 3.5. Air 2.5 was announced/released to the public on October 26, 2010 but was in platform developers hands prior to that date so that it would be available on all platforms at the same time. Firmware 3.5 was released just before the Air 2.5 announce date and before the Netflix Canada release. Firmware 3.5 Sept 21, 2010, Diskless Netfix Canada early October, Diskless Netflix US Oct 18, 2010. The timing while a weaker argument is part of my reasoning.

Patsu talked to an Ex Netflix employee who stated Netflix is using HTML5ish javascript but does not use Flash runtime. Netflix could be using the Air javascript engine but not the Flash player. It appears that the Wii also supports Javascript outside the browser with an Adobe product and it was listed before PS3 firmware update 3.5 as Widevine compatible and the PS3 was not.

All iptv applications are either being released after 3.5 or had reductions in size (7+ megs) after updates required by PS3 firmware 3.5 (Hulu and MLB).

As to no indication of Chrome or Webkit in the PS3, best-easiest to support speculation is that the ipTV applications now being released are using Air not a partial webkit as I had earlier speculated before the Air 2.5 announcement. Webkits (Chrome) with Flash 10.1 were in development and new webkits (Chrome) can support javascript and players outside the browser. The same indications that support Air could support a newer webkit but OS support for the new webkits is needed to support javascript outside the browser so that makes it more likely that Air is being used.

There is no proof positive of this speculation so arguments for or against are supportable. As more applications are released for the PS3 it should be easier to support arguments for or against my speculation.

IF as I suspect that Air will be used to support Ultraviolet applications and something like Dixv TV is released for the PS3 after the next firmware update then my argument while still not 100% provable, will likely be accepted as most reasonable.

I do (doing it now). I would love to do everything from my console browser. What's not to love about that (comfy couch and huge screen tied into a nice surround sound system)?

Actually, that's precisely why I *don't* ever, nor plan to browse websites on my TV. It's too heavy to lug around my flat.

Whenever I'm watching a program on the TV, and wish to look up something on the internet, I just reach for the phone, laptop, etc... Just too clunky to slowly input search strings, etc with TV/AV or game console controllers -- even those with mini keyboards.

Back