[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

Sadly, can't read the stuff behind the spoiler tags, as I have just started playing the game last night [difficulty hard].

There's one thing that really irritates me though and it's something that has also irritated me while playing the Beta multiplayer: Why in god's name is it such a pain in the a$$ to use the sights on the bullseye? Most of the stuff gets blurred out and the HDR implementation (or what it's supposed to be) lights up everything so in the end, you're basically firing blindly, waiting for your marker to turn up red.

I don't get it - having a game that influences you to use the sights, but using them at the same time offers less visibility than if you fire from the hips. Didn't they catch this while testing the game or is there a special reason behind it?

Finished the game on hard. Must say that I really enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. Very good SP campaign. Absolutely in my top SP games!!

The only problem this game has (sadly common for nearly all games out there) is that the story telling and the actual story is very poor! Why devs always choose this minimalistic approach is more due to lack of story telling skill and not being "cool" or whatever!! It is not cool to only hind at stuff, it is not cool to let people guess everything and making up there own story...a sound story base should be present when playing the game...and this in a form that it can be appreciated!

Devs create such a rich and unique universe, but don't manage to port this into the actual game...

I often have the feeling that devs don't want to conclude a story, because they are afraid that no sequel can be made...thus, instead, they craft a forgetable, meaningless standard story...exchangable with every other shooter out there...

The problem is, that I as a gamer am already used to this...so I still had lots of fun with it and just say...well, gaming is what it is, don't expect more!

Yes, but I think Killzone, LotR, and some other saga took similar approach. They dream up the universe first (or along the way), and write stories in it.
Sure, but in the case of Resistance and Killzone, they aren't good enough at it to make the story up along the way.

Story writing 101, start by making sure you have a good ending.

The whole problem with continuity is why I like Uncharted's approach, making each game a selfcontained story. Although Uncharted still has it's own continuity issues.

Yeah, they should have a base proposal for a good ending first, and change rarely/only if they have an even better ending. :p

I take it that both of you are not happy with Demon's Souls' "story telling" ?

Actually I kinda like Demon's Souls story telling. Not the kill generic evil part, but interacting with the NPC's. You have to regularly talk to them to get more insights into the world of Demon's Souls. It feels very natural. And each of the worlds also told it's own story largely by simply exploring them. I think it's a very fitting way to tell a story for a game. Certainly compared to the more popular "make it more cinematic" trend. I can't wait to see if Dark Souls improves upon it.

Well, I am getting extremely slow speed on the update !!!!!!! Its a 679mb update and it is telling me that it'll take 30 hours to complete the download !!! 30 Hours:oops::oops: !

Has anyone else encountered this problem ?:rolleyes:

Just started my second run through, mainly to collect all the journals etc, and I must admit it seems to have got better. The section that feels just like Ravensholm has nailed that to a tee. And now I'm taking my time I'm getting more of the eye candy which is just as rich and sugary as needs to be.

But I have also noticed a lot of scripting errors, the biggest being that the NPC doesn't complete their action so there is no way of finishing the level. You just have to start again. It seems to happen if you kill all the enemy in a section before you reach a scripted point.
Times Square - Widowmaker fight. I killed all the chimera on the field without taking a pop at the widow maker. Just as I killed the last chimera what seemed to be a second widow maker dropped into the square. But without the red vulnerable sections. This then jumped into the gap between the buildings and that was it.

The section where charlie is carrying the power core. If you kill all the chimera before you get to the last bit, when he hides at the bottom of the stairs. He just stays there and never moves on.

Right at the beginning when you retreat to the church, if you kill all the chimera jumpers there then they never appear on the wall just before the NPC opens the door to get out. So you never shoot them, he never opens the door and that's it.

They are a little annoying. I also don't like materials acting different to what you would expect. If you shoot the glass in sky lights it doesn't shatter. Which is a shame as the original R:FOM had the best broken glass shader ever!

I'm on a business network. The patch completed install and download in about 8 minutes. :)

Well my connection is 512kbps, but at that speed its amatter of a few hours, not 30 hours !!!! I don't know whats the issue! Everything else is downloading at normal speeds, its only R3 update which happens at this impossibly slow speed. MYe the whole world is downloading the update ! But then everyone should be affected , but it seems to be only me :cry: !

Well my connection is 512kbps, but at that speed its amatter of a few hours, not 30 hours !!!! I don't know whats the issue! Everything else is downloading at normal speeds, its only R3 update which happens at this impossibly slow speed. MYe the whole world is downloading the update ! But then everyone should be affected , but it seems to be only me :cry: !

Sniff the network and see which (regional ?) server you're downloading the patch from.

EDIT:
About patching...

Patch 1.03 to resolve MP lag and framerate issues:

jstevenson said:
Still waiting on all the territories to clear the patch, good to go in US/EU, but not everywhere, sigh.

also, the Move thing was not having a specific screen for it, you can't let people remap based on the Dualshock screen, and we didn't have time nor space for a new screen when we figured that out.

we are patching the ADS to allow you to point around the screen while zoomed though

Patch 1.04 to at least enhance Move control (Make it more like KZ3):
http://www.myresistance.net/communit...last_msg=68249

Charlatan said:
Move aim mode is reworked in Patch 4. Thanks for your feedback, everybody!

BoardBonobo, I reported the scripting bug I encountered to Insomniac. If you're on GAF, you can drop him a PM.

Played uptill the
Widowmaker
fight ! all I can say is : A.M.A.Z.I.N.G !!!! I never knew it would be this good, and with the rain and wet shader everywhere, that level looks absolutely stunning. The boos fights are entertaining too. I am playing on Hard, and it seems like easier than RFOM on normal ! Maybe, this time I will be able to play Superhuman ;) !

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniff the network and see which (regional ?) server you're downloading the patch from.

Had to resort to PSN Download Manager, now downloading from PC via proxy server ! IT says it will complete in 3 hours, which is understandable, a 10X relief, from 30 hours to 3 ! Phew !:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually dying less during Superhuman than I was during the Normal run. Both runs are co-op only.

Well, the reason I said hard in R3 seems to be easier than normal of RFOM is that I am hardly dying at all ! Which is a big surprise as I would die at. Every step in RFOM !

Now in that MtPeasant(night level) and I can proclaim happily that I am in mlove with this game. What a beautiful campaign uptill now, and th eingame storytelling via letters and audio logs is excellent. The letters feel so personal, and that mini story of the girl Molly lost and found(there might be more to it yet) and some of the audio logs are actually scary !!!

Loving it, can't stop playing and work is suffering big time :( !

Do I have to recieve an invite or send an invite to play co-op? Can't I start a game and leave it open for anyone to join like in Resident Evil 5 ?

That's quick !

I think you need to send invite for co-op but I'm not certain.

The game difficulty can vary between different playthrough. My first NY run was very difficult. Second one was manageable alone.

the play time in the options, does that include cutscenes, or strictly gameplay? mine said just under 7 hours but it felt longer than that (not that it was boring... it was a great campaign).

Back