*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

On a second playthrough, do i get to play from the beginning with the weapons maxed out from the previous game, or is does it all go down like nothing happened?

On a second playthrough, do i get to play from the beginning with the weapons maxed out from the previous game, or is does it all go down like nothing happened?

I couldn't find a new game+. As far as I know you start from scratch although the game says you can use certain items after you've beaten the game...I'll check later.

I haven't finished the challenge modes yet, so something might open up after that.

I couldn't find a new game+. As far as I know you start from scratch although the game says you can use certain items after you've beaten the game...I'll check later.

I haven't finished the challenge modes yet, so something might open up after that.

Right certain items have to be collected from the "Olympians", but it works like the costumes. They give you certain powers but the trophies are disabled.

The challenge mode just unlocks the combat arena. Fully customized basically, so you can choose the enemies you fight, the number of them, your health level etc.

I read somewhere (I forget where) that you don't have all your weapons on your second play-through, but once you receive the weapons they will be maxed.

I think you might have to get a "Max weapon trophy" first to have all the weapons maxed on the 2nd playthrough, at least I didn't have anything maxed out on my 2nd run or am I missing something?

Pretty far into it now. For the most part I'm still enjoying it. My least favourite moment so far is
leading a seemingly defenceless and topless women through a number of dangers, only to murder her for the purpose of propping open a gate. You tie her to a gear, and she gets sucked inside and killed, jamming the gear and holding the door from closing. When she dies you get a trophy titled something like, "I didn't do it ... but I wish I had." She seems to be some kind of sex slave for Poseidon and to complete the game I had to murder her. Seriously, what's up with that? Is this game targeted at forty-something misogynists still living in their parents basements after a lifetime of rejection by women, or is it targeted at pubescent males living in their parents basements headed towards a lifetime of rejection by women? Those are the kind of guys that would buy this game to jerk it to the sex scene. I mean, this is the ultimate Spike TV game. It's fun to play, and great to look at, but the actual substance is extremely lame. How anyone can be a huge fan of Kratos, I'll never understand.

dj and ultragpu, the trophy doesn't do anything and I'm almost sure that the pre-order skin actually allowed you to maximize the weapons at the expense of trophy support. So yeah, no new game + for sure.

Pretty far into it now. For the most part I'm still enjoying it. My least favourite moment so far is
leading a seemingly defenceless and topless women through a number of dangers, only to murder her for the purpose of propping open a gate. You tie her to a gear, and she gets sucked inside and killed, jamming the gear and holding the door from closing. When she dies you get a trophy titled something like, "I didn't do it ... but I wish I had." She seems to be some kind of sex slave for Poseidon and to complete the game I had to murder her. Seriously, what's up with that? Is this game targeted at forty-something misogynists still living in their parents basements after a lifetime of rejection by women, or is it targeted at pubescent males living in their parents basements headed towards a lifetime of rejection by women? Those are the kind of guys that would buy this game to jerk it to the sex scene. I mean, this is the ultimate Spike TV game. It's fun to play, and great to look at, but the actual substance is extremely lame. How anyone can be a huge fan of Kratos, I'll never understand.

You'd win an award for extreme exaggeration and over-thinking if there ever was one. Just to be clear here, you LOVE Kratos, right? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I smiled when I read that Sakaguchi "complained" about long opening scene in GoW3:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/21/sakaguchi_on_gow3_opening/

Here's what Final Fantasy father Hironobu Sakaguchi thinks about the intro, courtesy of his Twitter earlier today: "A long opening movie. It's nicely done, but you don't need this :) It's movie-like, but you don't need long openings in games."

Wrote Sakaguchi, "Naturally, I started on Easy Mode. A Lord of the Rings-like fortress. A real time scene? You can't skip this??? That's annoying. The graphics are, as expected, nicely done."

So what's up with Sakaguchi hating on the cinemas? Someone brought this up in a response to Sakaguchi's Tweets: "Sakaguchi-san, you've changed." To this, Sakaguchi responded: "Games are neither films nor manga. They're game entertainment and should take their own approach."

It should be noted that Sakaguchi isn't ripping on God of War 3 as a whole. His other Tweets are full of praise for the game.

I personally feel that games can steal from films, manga, anime, play, and any performances. There is no reason to distill it into a dry list of musts and must nots. There is no one single style. Every game/director can has its/his/her own style at different age.

All forms of expression will evolve anyway.

I am finishing my second playthrough. I usually don't play SP games a second time...but this time I immediatly start antother game after finishing the first playthrough.
Also watched a couple of unlocked videos...and downloaded skins of the ultimate edition and this crazy metal soundtrack...
Interesting: one of the skins was Apollo!? If I remember correctly (also considering the PSP game) Apollo never appeared in the series!?
This leads me to othe following question:
Rather at the end, when you fight at the top of mount olympus, Gaia suddenly climbs up and graps Zeus and Kratos. In the following dialog (if I understand it correctly...and this is the part I am not sure?) Zeus said to Gaia: "...you choose the wrong pawn, you should have chosen the other one" If I understand this correctly: what the heck does this mean. who is the other one? Maybe Apollo? Who is a son of Zeus as well? It also seems that Apollo is still left?
Would be cool to get an online coop mode with Apollo and Kratos :mrgreen:

I am finishing my second playthrough. I usually don't play SP games a second time...but this time I immediatly start antother game after finishing the first playthrough.
Also watched a couple of unlocked videos...and downloaded skins of the ultimate edition and this crazy metal soundtrack...
Interesting: one of the skins was Apollo!? If I remember correctly (also considering the PSP game) Apollo never appeared in the series!?
This leads me to othe following question:
Rather at the end, when you fight at the top of mount olympus, Gaia suddenly climbs up and graps Zeus and Kratos. In the following dialog (if I understand it correctly...and this is the part I am not sure?) Zeus said to Gaia: "...you choose the wrong pawn, you should have chosen the other one" If I understand this correctly: what the heck does this mean. who is the other one? Maybe Apollo? Who is a son of Zeus as well? It also seems that Apollo is still left?
Would be cool to get an online coop mode with Apollo and Kratos :mrgreen:
I believe it's Perseus, he's also another son of Zeus.

You'd win an award for extreme exaggeration and over-thinking if there ever was one. Just to be clear here, you LOVE Kratos, right? :p

What I described is exactly what happens in the game. Maybe my reaction was extreme (I don't think it was), but I thought that scene was incredibly tasteless, and I'm not sure why it was included, or who is supposed to be enjoying it.

So you never got in a car with a hooker, and then killed her after she took your money and got out in any of the GTA games? Just because you could?
Kratos doesn't care about anything or anyone but his goal of killing Zeus. There was a similar section in GOW2 as well, so it's not any different than what the fans have gotten used to.

So you never got in a car with a hooker, and then killed her after she took your money and got out in any of the GTA games? Just because you could?
Kratos doesn't care about anything or anyone but his goal of killing Zeus. There was a similar section in GOW2 as well, so it's not any different than what the fans have gotten used to.

No, I never did that in GTA.

Everyone has a different "line" in terms of what is acceptable. To me, that scene in God of War crossed the line.

Everyone has a different "line" in terms of what is acceptable. To me, that scene in God of War crossed the line.

Personally i found the way Kratos kills Hermes much more over the top and is one of the few places i thought 'ow there's no need for that!'

Also, one little thing abou the whole game... I thought these guys were Gods... I mean they just get beaten and thrown around like ragdolls most of the time. I guess that's the point of the game, but we went from God of War 1 where killing Ares was the big deal of the entire game and it was the climax of the entire game, to GOW3 where we slash through Gods like they were skeleton soldiers...
I'd have thought they would be able to put up a bit more of a fight.

Still, amazing game. The image quality itself is unbelievable. So clean!

I take it you hated Modern Warfare 2's airport mission as well, strange since you never complained about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree in general that in game-art, cyber-punk, heavy metal and horror are vastly overrepresented. I enjoy almost any game by default that has a more upbeat or natural theme. Hopefully as we enter more mainstream markets with the next-gen consoles, we'll still get some (more) of them. ;) I'd love to see next-gen 3D world versions of the 2D Rayman aesthetic, with lots of nice grean vines and colorful fruit.

I take it you hated Modern Warfare 2's airport mission as well, strange since you never complained about it.

I though it was unnecessary, but at least it contributed to the storyline (even though the story pretty much sucked). Obviously both scenes are in their respective games to generate controversy and media attention.

I took more offense to the calculated sadistic murder of an overly sexualized and defenceless woman for absolutely no purpose
(unless you consider performing menial tasks like opening doors suitable)
, more offensive than a group of villains murdering people in a contrived Tom-Clancy-esque plot to put two nations at war. COD gives you the option of skipping that scene, where the scene in God of War 3 has to be completed to continue in the game. And think about the trophy, "I didn't do it ... but I wish I did!", that you receive upon completion. What do you think that means?

Back