Apple iPad announced

You know how it is when you watch a movie and at the end feel ... that that movie was made solely to get you to go see the sequel? That's how I feel about this. There are enough "WTF?" choices and omissions to make me think that the iPad 2 will be what we should have seen announced yesterday.

Brightsideofnews is saying that? Well, that confirms it. :rolleyes:

Seriously though - Mali 50? Given that ARM only describe a Mali 55 (least powerful), 200, and a 400 (most powerful), and given that the 55 possibly has approximately the same ball-park performance as an MBX-lite, why would you have a phone (3GS) that is many times more powerful than a tablet?

Disclaimer: I'm as curious as anyone to know what is in the A4, because I honestly do not know.

I wasn't questioning the appeal of the Ipod Touch and Iphone but the fact that they can fit into your pocket is a rather large part of their appeal.

Yup, so it depends on what you would use the iPod Touch for.
The iPad by virtue of its size and speed alone greatly extends the capabilities for by example photo and film viewing, web browsing, mail communication and reading text. It also gives new capabilities in terms of inputting text and other data. It does this by compromising portability. (In terms of size, not battery life.)
So for those who might have wanted an iTouch for doing the things above but found the small screen impractical, this is perfect. (Personally, I've been using pen based pocket computers for a decade, so I'm clearly not the target demographic since I have so heavily prioritized portability.)

It's clear that people here mostly look at the iPad as a downward extension of desktop computing. I'd argue that it is just as relevant to see it as a device that extends from phones. What did you find your cell phone impractical or useless for, and does the iPad address those issues? When looked at from the desktop computing perspektive the iPad seems rigidly controlled and lacking in extensibility. When looked at from the phone side however or for that matter handheld gaming systems, its better than par.

People who criticize the iPad for being "a large iPod Touch" fail to acknowledge that to a lot of people the iPod Touch is one hell of a lot more attractive platform to extend from than the desktop PC.

People who criticize the iPad for being "a large iPod Touch" fail to acknowledge that to a lot of people the iPod Touch is one hell of a lot more attractive platform to extend from than the desktop PC.
Why is that? In the past PC technology has always scaled down (like Desktop -> Notebook -> Subnotebook -> Netbook) but mobile/gadget plattforms never scaled up. Anyone using a Symbian desktop?

If the Ipad is supposed to be among other things used to casually surf the web from the couch, why doesn't this thing have flash support?? Youtube support is nice and all, but how about supporting the other 90 percent of video content on the web!

If the Ipad is supposed to be among other things used to casually surf the web from the couch, why doesn't this thing have flash support?? Youtube support is nice and all, but how about supporting the other 90 percent of video content on the web!
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the underlying video format of flash?

There's an interesting post over at the BBC website by someone who basically says that the Ipad isn't that great. It could have been better, but it was rushed to market for one simple reason. Apple have moved into the book/newspaper publishing area with the Ipad as a large reader, and they need to get in there first to control the market and become the online place to go and shop the same as they did with Itunes and the Ipod. It is basically an upscaled phone, expensive and limited, but it's for those people that consume content, and this form factor is the one for reading e-books with, as well as watching movies or listening to music.

Well, people want flash mostly because of streaming videos and games. But, at least in the future, streaming video really should be done via HTML5 (which iPad supports). Plus if you live outside the US it's a smaller issue (since there's far less official TV content online, no Hulu etc. available) and alternative video portals like vimeo already start to beta test html5 video. And I can understand that Apple doesn't want flash games/apps to circumvent their app store. It's just not in their interest.

Why is that? In the past PC technology has always scaled down (like Desktop -> Notebook -> Subnotebook -> Netbook) but mobile/gadget plattforms never scaled up. Anyone using a Symbian desktop?

Faulty logic as the iPhone os is a scaled down OSX.
Windows 7 is scaled up 3.1, DOS, etc.
To argue tech scales one way is absurd. i3, ChromeOS? Android?

(i3 down, Chrome up, Android down, etc.)

You're a liar either way; compare your link to mine.
I find that accusation somewhat offensive! I don't read all the press releases and I don't work in the video processing group.

Admittedly I did do some some entropy decode research for VXD, but that was years ago now (and I'm still having therapy for being exposed to CABAC :) ).

Are you sure that the CPU is an ARM Processor? I doubt it.
Errr....So you are proposing they have an ARM emulator to run the iPhone apps?

That A4 silicon that Apple invented is simply that magical. Watch out Intel!
Magical? Then it's probably not silicon. I bet it's a new process based on wafers of "eye of newt and toe of frog"

I find that accusation somewhat offensive! I don't read all the press releases and I don't work in the video processing group.

Admittedly I did do some some entropy decode research for VXD, but that was years ago now (and I'm still having therapy for being exposed to CABAC :) ).

I forgot the necessary smiley I guess to make the joke a bit clearer ;)

Errr....So you are proposing they have an ARM emulator to run the iPhone apps?

With a gun pointed at my head I'd say a higher clocked 535 than in the 3GS, but I've been so many times wrong in the past that it's completely useless. I never understood why they needed something with 2 TMUs for a smartphone really.

Back