Apple iPad announced

Its running the exact same OS and applications as an iPhone and it doesn't even have multitasking support. I'd say dual core is far from certain, unlikely even and Anandtech seem to agree, they'd have been pimping it if it was dual core as its something easy for consumers to understand.

What they've delivered is a just a big ass ipod Touch, pretty damn disappointing if you ask me.

The sales numbers for the iPod Touch and the iPhone combined are positively staggering.
Apparently, a awful lot of people feel that they provide value.
How many will like the balance of features the iPad offers?

Well, are we certain that Apple won't allow multitasking in the future? It's a software limit after all, and since their main competitors offer it to good effect, it wouldn't surprise me if it showed up at some point when they've figured out the switching mechanics/mobile Expose/whatever.
Possible, yes. But we have to judge the iPad as announced, not with some speculative unannounced abilities that may come in the far future.

I mean it took Apple 2 years to implement some very basic features like copy and paste or MMS in the iPhone, while competitors had these features for years and years and Apple was the underdog at the time. And everyone was sure that Apple just HAD to implement these features in the next minor .x update.
People are only really demanding multitasking since 2009 (in smartphones) and judging by that a multitasking iPhone OS may only come in 2011 and only for 2010/2011 devices. Maybe because Apple wants to wait until they can use dual-core CPUs in their SoCs without running into battery problems (<40nm SoC won't be ready until 2011).

Ah well, I personally just can't get over the fact that a 2010 10" high-end tablet wouldn't have at least a 720p HD resolution and/or digital out (especially one as media heavy with an iTunes client)? And just a 132 ppi TFT for a device that you most likely will hold closer to your eyes than a notebook and that should be used as an ereader...

For me this is also an indication that we won't see a higher resolution screen in this years iPhone (iPad 9.7" with 1024x768 and than just 3 months later an iPhone 3.5" with 800x480 or something like that? No way!).

Ah well, I personally just can't get over the fact that a 2010 10" high-end tablet wouldn't have at least a 720p HD resolution and/or digital out.

You're forgetting the dock connector that can do quite a bit.
Here's what Apple provide out of the gate (with prices):
There’s a new VGA to Dock Connector Adapter ($29) for attaching the iPad to a projector or monitor. A Camera Accessory Kit ($29) that comes with a USB adapter and a SD card reader in one package, two separate pieces, to let the iPad import photos from a camera or card. The Keyboard Dock ($69) with a normal keyboard grafted on to the front of a plastic dock. A standard Dock ($29) with audio and dock connector ports on the back. And an Apple case ($39) made from plastic and microfiber, with a front flap that folds backwards to serve as a stand. Finally, there’s a new 10W power adapter that is included with the iPad or sold separately for $29; it uses a Dock Connector but obviously supplies more power than a typical USB port.
I've no idea just what resolutions the video out will support, nor what Apples policies will be for third parties making various dock devices.

I've no idea just what resolutions the video out will support, nor what Apples policies will be for third parties making various dock devices.

Apparently if you use the VGA dock the output resolution is 1024x768 (the same as the panel). You get 576p/480p when using component cables, and 576i/480i when using composite cables.

Apparently if you use the VGA dock the output resolution is 1024x768 (the same as the panel). You get 576p/480p when using component cables, and 576i/480i when using composite cables.
Yup, no digital, no HD. Only 1024x768 analog VGA.

The sales numbers for the iPod Touch and the iPhone combined are positively staggering.
Apparently, a awful lot of people feel that they provide value.
How many will like the balance of features the iPad offers?

I wasn't questioning the appeal of the Ipod Touch and Iphone but the fact that they can fit into your pocket is a rather large part of their appeal. This device is also around ~3x as expensive as an Ipod Touch.

Is anyone else thinking they hobbled this thing to prevent cannibalizing MacBook sales?
It could have been SO much more.

Is anyone else thinking they hobbled this thing to prevent cannibalizing MacBook sales?
well, duh! : )

It could have been SO much more.
it could have been many things, but it's pretty much what apple want it to be - a device that the computer-non-savvy demographic could buy into. also, as with every CE device, apple have to ensure that the customer will buy the next model 2 years down the road.

Yup, no digital, no HD. Only 1024x768 analog VGA.

but VGA is good quality and what you use for projector. max res is because of the clone mode.

i've seen this mentioned a few times today, and it baffles me each time: why would something that runs a desktop os be a better choice for a handheld?

every tablet and every netbook on the market uses a dekstop OS, so maybe it works.

It seems like Apple want you to only use the App Store, and have the tablet be a slave of another computer running itunes.
You can't even plug a USB drive in it ffs.
that's the "appliance" device concept. It is really intriguing to see it in such a big form factor (except for kindles, etc.)
People demand flexibility : netbooks failed as an appliance (poor linux distro + slow flash), but people bought them en masse as real computers (windows + hard drive).

But they will buy whatever crap no matter what, as well (photoframes, etc.) so I don't doubt the iPad will sell. it will also sell as a toy (people that don't want to get an iphone with soul sucking subscription, but want to press their thumbs on shiny squares)

every tablet and every netbook on the market uses a dekstop OS, so maybe it works.
it does? ah, yes, the large, booming tabletPC market. ..no, wait, i still don't get it. and netbooks? - the proverbial touch-interface devices.. (last time i used one it was a sub-notebook notebook, plain and simple). it's exactly this line of thinking 'hey, we can throw desktop shit at anything, as long as it compiles!' that has helped the tabletpc, pocketpc and winme on phones have this resounding success with the masses that we witness today /deep sarcasm

let's not fool ourselves - what works in niche markets (tabletPC, pocketPC, etc) does not necessarily work with the mass consumer. heck, it may not be even sufficient that the consumer were tech-savvy to expect them to put up with 'experimental' software on their CE devices. mass market CE devices either meet a purpose, and they meet it well, or their 'geek-hip' factor means squat with Jon Doe.

But they will buy whatever crap no matter what, as well (photoframes, etc.) so I don't doubt the iPad will sell. it will also sell as a toy (people that don't want to get an iphone with soul sucking subscription, but want to press their thumbs on shiny squares)
yes, it's the dumb market's fault. why did i not see that coming..

OK ... so it is Cortex 9 + Mali-50.

Don't know anything about Mali-50 and how it compares to SGX series GPUs.

this is tablet and netbook sized, not PDA and phone sized.
tablets are a PC with some note-taking software. that's all. What are you going to invent? it's a niche item already, perhaps made for the sake of it.

thanks for understanding that a netbook is a laptop. they even make machines that are both tablet and netbook (i.e. laptop). thus with zero reason to not run a desktop OS.

Its running the exact same OS and applications as an iPhone and it doesn't even have multitasking support. I'd say dual core is far from certain, unlikely even and Anandtech seem to agree, they'd have been pimping it if it was dual core as its something easy for consumers to understand.

What they've delivered is a just a big ass ipod Touch, pretty damn disappointing if you ask me.

After sleeping over it for a night, my mind seems to agree that is a single core chip. :)

Mali IP in iPad. :oops::oops::oops:

I thought Apple was firmly in IMG camp. Or may be Theo is talking out of his ass all over again.

Perhaps ..... especially given that what they claim regarding Apple using Mali-50 doesn't make much sense since Mali-55 is a fixed point GLES 1.x only GPU.

Thanks Theo for your latest bit of journalism. :cool:

I don't know yet what kind of graphics IP the iSlate SoC incorporates. But it could very well be that the SoC has Mali IP integrated and BSN just linked to the wrong IP core. We'll find out sooner or later.

Back