NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Is it me or is this all about some weird typo? I wouldn't expect a GF100 to surpass a 5970 (and not 5870) without any serious overclocking.

It can be that while they're using "égalerait" (will reach, will be on par), maybe they meant "will rival", implying that a vga can rival a card that has lower performances. ;)

It can be that while they're using "égalerait" (will reach, will be on par), maybe they meant "will rival", implying that a vga can rival a card that has lower performances. ;)
that's how I would read "Il se susurre d’ailleurs que la plus puissante des Fermi égalerait une Radeon HD 5870 mais pas la 5970" - that it would "match" the former but not the latter; ie. that it's performance will still surpass that of the 5870. Why else would you bring in the 5970 into that phrase if all you wanted to say was that fermi would only be the equal of the 5870? A range is implied - it is able to "equal" the lesser card, but not the greater.

however, the 300 watt claim, if true, would be horrible, even for the top-end variant, unless perhaps nvidia is heavily overclocking the cards for purpose of the demo, which would still be quite worrisome.

TDP isn't the same thing as power consumption ;)

The GTX 280 also has a 8 pin and 6 pin connector with a TDP of 300 watts never used that much though.

Yes I have, many times actually.
But I also find objectionable that a demo realized by Nvidia crashes on NVidia hardware during a public event. That's it. ;)

Yeah, exactly. The same thing happens on a daily basis to owners of graphics cards (drivers and hardware from the same manuf not playing nice).

Yeah but question is, can it really be just on par with 5870?

Well for some reason people aren't paying attention to GT200 when making comparisons. Parity with HD5870 would be a complete and utter failure given that it's only 30-40% faster than the GTX285.

Was PhysX being used?

The whole thing is PhysX based. The engine is made up of individual components that exert forces on each other and the sled. The demo has a wireframe mode showing all the force vectors as well. There's also a shack that disintegrates when the sled passes by and some stone structure that collapses onto the track too. All PhysX presumably.

Right. TDP means how much heat it generates and is required to dissipate.

TDP isn't the same thing as power consumption ;)

The GTX 280 also has a 8 pin and 6 pin connector with a TDP of 300 watts never used that much though.

The TDP of GTX280 is 236 Watt. I think Fermi will stay in the same range. But never ever would they go nearly to 300 watt with this cooling solution.

Parity with HD5870 would make it 5-10% faster than a GTX295 in AA/AF environments, or on par with a 295 without AA/AF:
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2009/test_grafikkarten_2009/18/

They are using two D3D11 and 8 D3D10 games for the performance rating. So Fermi will be also faster with d3d11.

The hardware needed inside your gaming machine isn't as simplified as AMD and the Radeon 5000 series cards that can power three displays on one card. The Surround setup requires two Nvidia cards in SLI; The demo on the show floor was running two "Next Generation" GF100 GPUs. One GPU powers the left and center displays, and the other powers the right display.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-3D-Surround,9394.html

Looks like, they will go the quadro nvs way.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you base that on? What makes you think the x2 version would be 300w? You seem adamant to not let the 300w TDP stand...

I'm not saying that that's what the x2 will have. I did say that a TDP as high as 300w is expected for the X2 card and not the single chip version, as seems to be implied by the french site. Single chip version should be on the same level of GT200 in terms of TDP: 236w
If GT200 @ 65 nm, 576 mm2 and 1.4 billion transistors had a TDP of 236w, how can 3 billion transistors @ 40 nm, < 576 mm2 have a TDP of 300w ?

If GT200 @ 65 nm, 576 mm2 and 1.4 billion transistors had a TDP of 236w, how can 3 billion transistors @ 40 nm, < 576 mm2 have a TDP of 300w ?
Frequency? Voltage? :smile: Not that I'm saying it will; as pointed out, the power connector choice doesn't tell you consumption.

I'm not saying that that's what the x2 will have. I did say that a TDP as high as 300w is expected for the X2 card and not the single chip version, as seems to be implied by the french site. Single chip version should be on the same level of GT200 in terms of TDP: 236w
Perhaps by the virtue of the "hurry up guys, we're lagging behind !" effect...

It's the only thing which could explain why GF100 would ever need that much power : bad performance. GT200 didn't have a performance target, GF100 has one.

As you said, there are 3 billions transistors in there, twice as much as inside the GT200, and power doesn't scale linearly with processes as already seen with previous references (G92b and to a lesser extent GT200b), but it scales more or less linearly with transistor count on a given node for a given design, and again with traces lengths, which increase with transistor count.

Oh, and don't forget GTX295 exceeded its TDP even with "non-powervirus" shaders according to some reviews, since HD5970 draws no less than 25 watt less although it's specced 5 watt higher.

Perhaps by the virtue of the "hurry up guys, we're lagging behind !" effect...

It's the only thing which could explain why GF100 would ever need that much power : bad performance. GT200 didn't have a performance target, GF100 has one.

As you said, there are 3 billions transistors in there, twice as much as inside the GT200, and power doesn't scale linearly with processes as already seen with previous references (G92b and to a lesser extent GT200b), but it scales more or less linearly with transistor count on a given node for a given design, and again with traces lengths, which increase with transistor count.

I'll be straight forward, it doesn't need that much power :p and its performance, drivers are raw and its performing well.......

Gotcha.

Jawed

I take you don't believe Nvidia when they say it uses PhysX? :LOL: Do you have reason to believe otherwise or is everything Nvidia says simply assumed to be a lie?

Parity with HD5870 would make it 5-10% faster than a GTX295 in AA/AF environments, or on par with a 295 without AA/AF:
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/2009/test_grafikkarten_2009/18/

Is that supposed to be impressive? The 295 is only 35% faster than a 285. I sense a repeating theme here.

Pricing it at the level of 5870 will be a financial fail.:smile:
Not really, they survived the GT200 versus RV770 battle. If performance lead isnt significant (>30%) then they should price it at 5870 levels. If performance is greater than that :)grin:) then they can claim a price premium.

I take you don't believe Nvidia when they say it uses PhysX? :LOL: Do you have reason to believe otherwise or is everything Nvidia says simply assumed to be a lie?
I'll ask you again, was PhysX being used? Nothing I can discern in the video or audio indicates as such. First you state it as fact, then you say presumably, then you say it's a fact, again :???:

Jawed

Back