PS3 firmware 2.80 avaiiable

Should be independent of 2D or 3D rendering.

For in-game XMB loading, I'm more curious about PlayTV background recording. When someone has PlayTV running in parallel, can you still go into in-game XMB ? Does Photo Gallery change its behaviour when PlayTV is active ?

The Photo Gallery is a true app. And even though it can be uninstalled I do think it's more closely integrated with the OS. When you delete it the icon is still there.

The icon needs to be there in case you want to reinstall it. Life with Playstation and Playstation Home are that way too.

Should be independent of 2D or 3D rendering.
The OS has to dedicate as much CPU to the game as it can for optimum performance.
The icon needs to be there in case you want to reinstall it. Life with Playstation is that way too.
It could have been redownloaded through the Store. Life with Playstation is there too because it came as a standard feature of the PS3 too as a much more simple version than the one we have now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OS has to dedicate as much CPU to the game as it can for optimum performance.

Yeah, but it doesn't explain why a "simple" 2D game like Everyday Shooter still requires icon loading. That's why I think it's the default behaviour. Afterall, something like PlayTV could be running in the background in parallel.

It could be redownloaded through the Store. Life with Playstation is there too because it came with the PS3 too as a much more simple version than the one we have now.

I think they only do that for regional software. e.g. The Ad Hoc Party software is downloadable from Japan PSN, VidZone is downloadable from Euro PS Store. For regular, universal apps, they seem to be in the XMB straight (probably to save bandwidth)

The only exception I know so far is the SingStar voice control module. It's available only in SingStore, not in the PS Store. I thought putting the neat Voice Control software in the PS Store would increase exposure to SingStar, but Sony didn't put it there.

The refresh of the XMB depends on the framerate that the game is running in I think.

@vazel: strange, the browser speed difference is rather pronounced for me. I'll try it again tonight to see if it's just the time of day. Are you on wireless or wired?

Yeah, but it doesn't explain why a "simple" 2D game like Everyday Shooter still requires icon loading. That's why I think it's the default behaviour. Afterall, something like PlayTV could be running in the background in parallel.
There is obviously a game mode for XMB(which Life with Playstation uses too). So now you think it's the default behavior for games too, you're the one that said it depended on the app/game and how most games probably don't give the XMB much memory. So we can stop arguing now.
I think they only do that for regional software. e.g. The Ad Hoc Party software is downloadable from Japan PSN, VidZone is downloadable from Euro PS Store. For regular, universal apps, they seem to be in the XMB straight (probably to save bandwidth)
It's in the XMB because they want everyone to know it's a standard feature of the PS3.

There is obviously a game mode for XMB(which Life with Playstation uses too). So now you think it's the default behavior for games too, you're the one that said it depended on the app/game and how most games probably don't give the XMB much memory. So we can stop arguing now.

???

It is consistent with the app-decide model. If the app doesn't like the default behaviour, they may be able to override it. I have mentioned it above. This is just a conjecture though.

The PlayTV + Photo Gallery + in-game XMB test may tell us more.

Yes it would be great if a game like SF2 HD Remix wouldn't have the icon loading problem. But it's most likely a Sony requirement for all games no matter how many resources they use. We already know that even the simplest games have this problem.

@vazel: strange, the browser speed difference is rather pronounced for me. I'll try it again tonight to see if it's just the time of day. Are you on wireless or wired?
Bandwidth isn't a problem for me. What I really care about is browser stability. I don't want a browser to ever cause my PS3 to crash on me(patsu himself experienced one in this thread) and I want it to be able to play flash videos without being choppy. And quit bugging me about plugins on every page!

The icons should be preloaded. I shouldn't have to wait. Or at least I should be able to quit the game without first having to wait for the damn icon to show up...
You can always just hold the PS button for half a second and bring up the old menu.

Yes it would be great if a game like SF2 HD Remix wouldn't have the icon loading problem. But it's most likely a Sony requirement for all games no matter how many resources they use. We already know that even the simplest games have this problem.

That's indeed possible ! It'd be better for them to impose this as a minimum requirement. Then let the app guys decide whether they want to improve the experience. Instant and complete in-game XMB access is nice.

Bandwidth isn't a problem for me. What I really care about is browser stability. I don't want a browser to ever cause my PS3 to crash on me(patsu himself experienced one in this thread) and I want it to be able to play flash videos without being choppy. And quit bugging me about plugins on every page!

Yes, browser stability is important because the games may use it too. Flash video playback is generally smooth for me as long as you have enough bandwidth. In the old browser, sometimes it may pause as if it's swapping memory (There is enough buffer according to YouTube). I haven't encountered the same pause yet in 2.80. It may still be there after extended use. We shall see.

Of course it's possible in a game like Puzzle Quest. But it's an XMB mode Sony implemented for all games to use.
Yes, browser stability is important because the games may use it too. Flash video playback is generally smooth for me as long as you have enough bandwidth. In the old browser, sometimes it may pause as if it's swapping memory (There is enough buffer according to YouTube). I haven't encountered the same pause yet.
It still has problems with hulu videos.

Then why make an exception for Photo Gallery ? ... since other apps like Life with Playstation, Playatation Home behave exactly like other games when dealing with in-game XMB.

You can always just hold the PS button for half a second and bring up the old menu.

Good point ! I have forgotten about the old menu totally.

Then why make an exception for Photo Gallery ? ... since other apps like Life with Playstation, Playatation Home behave exactly like other games when dealing with in-game XMB.
If you can't understand why Life and Home would have the game mode XMB then I don't know what else to say.

If you can't understand why Life and Home would have the game mode XMB then I don't know what else to say.

The 2D/3D difference should not matter because the same behaviour affects 2D games and simple 3D games (like Echochrome) too. If a game like MGS4 requires as much resources as possible, then it's of course understandable that they only allocate the minimum resources necessary for in-game XMB.

Hulu works ok over here (like low quality YouTube video). But Joost's new TV site for appliances/PS3 (http://labs.joost.com/tv) doesn't fare so well. The initial loading takes too long. It plays fine after the wait though.

The 2D/3D difference should not matter because the same behaviour affects 2D games and simple 3D games (like Echochrome) too. If a game like MGS4 requires as much resources as possible, then it's of course understandable that they only allocate the minimum resources necessary for in-game XMB.
It's a game mode for all games both 2D and 3D to ensure optimum performance. I don't understand why you're having such difficulty understanding this. We can observe this XMB behavior in all games regardless of how much resources the game uses. It's obvious it's a game mode.

Hulu works ok over here (like low quality YouTube video). But Joost's new TV site for appliances/PS3 (labs.joost.com/tv) doesn't fare so well. The initial loading takes too long. It plays fine after the wait though.
Hulu does not work ok. It gets choppy. If you're having trouble seeing then zoom in with R3 and try fullscreen mode.

Why eurogamer shots comparison not works again? Time ago not give problems but after an update (I don't remember how exatcly) nothing to do :???: ouff

It's a game mode for all games both 2D and 3D to ensure optimum performance.

What do you call the other mode(s) ?

Hulu does not work ok. It gets choppy. If you're having trouble seeing then zoom in with R3.

I'm already watching it full screen. Press R3 doesn't do anything in this mode.

Eh... it gets choppy in a full length featured movie.

What do you call the other mode(s) ?
Normal mode? If you'd like we can call game mode 'performance mode' since it's used in Life and Home.

I'm already watching it full screen. Press R3 doesn't do anything in this mode.

Eh... it gets choppy in a full length featured movie.
It gets choppy in most everything.

Edit: Ha the browser crashed on me while watching House on hulu.

Normal mode? If you'd like we can call game mode 'performance mode' since it's used in Life and Home.

That would imply some not-so-demanding games can use normal mode. If all games must use a certain mode and offer no possible extension, then it's probably accurate enough to call it 'game mode'.

It gets choppy in most everything.

Edit: Ha the browser crashed on me while watching House on hulu.

House plays fine here though, not choppy too since the buffer builds up quickly. There was a JavaScript error but the dialog could be dismissed. The full length movie I watched downloaded slower for some reason.

House plays fine here though, not choppy too since the buffer builds up quickly. There was a JavaScript error but the dialog could be dismissed. The full length movie I watched downloaded slower for some reason.
It's a widely known gripe that hulu is choppy on the PS3. The choppiness isn't due to buffering it's due to something else like the browser not getting enough resources or not being well optimized.

Edit: Yup just confirmed on another forum it's still choppy.

Back