Red Dead Redemption

Sigfried1977 said:
The PS3 version's fine. Unless you are planning on playing the game with your nose pressed against the tv screen, actively looking for flaws, you won't be disappointed with the visuals at all. It's a gorgeous game.
That's the thing I hate about these comparisons: they make a 5% difference seem like a 50% difference and actually cause people who don't have the luxury of choosing between systems to avoid perfectly fine games.

PS3 version runs sub-hd which really bothers me playing native 1280 720 screwn

if you can get it cheap on PS3, it is highly recommended!

even for a full price game, it had much value/content back then...

I've been playing it for a couple of days, on the PS3, now and it's brilliant fun. The graphics aren't the smoothest I've seen but they do the job!

And for some reason I have an irrational fear of zombie bears...

Has anyone gotten this game on the ps3? I'm tempted to get it as part of a Toys R Us buy 2 promo but I loathe to give a mutiplat dev my money for yet another crap ps3 port. All the head2head's i've read agree that it's not a good port, is this true?

It's perfectly fine on PS3, sub HD and less foliage - boo-hoo...99% of folk wouldn't even notice the difference ;)

Has anyone gotten this game on the ps3? I'm tempted to get it as part of a Toys R Us buy 2 promo but I loathe to give a mutiplat dev my money for yet another crap ps3 port. All the head2head's i've read agree that it's not a good port, is this true?

"Crap ps3 port" is an incredible overstatement. I've seen it on the ps3 and its gorgeous.

I wrapped up Undead Nightmare over the weekend.

The wackiness of the narrative is pretty well handled overall. It's nice to see that the game never takes itself too seriously too. If you like RDR then you've got to pick this up.

For me, the highlights are participating in the liberation of towns (a process of distributing some ammo to the survivors and then killing off the zombies) and finding all 4 horses of apocalypse. I first horse I found was Famine, who has unlimited Stamina and has this green cloud that chases him. Then I found War who's surrounded by flames and can burn zombies that touch him. Then I found Pestilence who, confusingly, is surrounded by a swarm of locust who do nothing, and then finally Death. If you haven't found the 4th and final horse, Death, you're rewarded with him once you complete the main storyline. Death is awesome because he's really fast (doesnt lose speed when running off the dirt roads) and explodes any zombies that touch him.

Oh and there is one really awesome thing that happens at the end, in regards to the narrative, that you just have to see. I refuse to spoil this too.

I have to finish this some day, but I'm really having trouble warming up to the Zombie thing. It also brings out some of the less impressive sides of the game, like the super-sluggish character controls. I really like Euphoria, but please refrain from using it on main characters. Always feels like you are drunk when swinging the torch, and the simple act of turning John around is a real bitch. I also miss the busy saloons and all that other stuff that usually goes on in the towns. Everything is deserted.

By the way, all 4 horses have unlimited stamina. No idea whether this is a bug or not. Supposedly there's a unicorn as well.

I decided to complete the main story first (stopped near the end for some reason), thought I'd finished when John get's home but just found out there's still a way to go lol...does anyone know, once the story is completed...are you able to just continue playing to 100% (and beyond?) - I really want to get every last ounce from this great game.

I decided to complete the main story first (stopped near the end for some reason), thought I'd finished when John get's home but just found out there's still a way to go lol...does anyone know, once the story is completed...are you able to just continue playing to 100% (and beyond?) - I really want to get every last ounce from this great game.

Yes, it'll let you keep playing even after the story is finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://kotaku.com/5712495/red-dead-redemption-cleans-up-at-the-vgas

Red Dead Redemption was thebig winner, with four awards, led by Game of the Year. It also collected Vector Monkeys for Best Song (by José González, pictured), Best Original Score, and Best DLC, for the Undead Nightmare extension.

Game of the Year
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

Studio of the Year
BioWare

Best Xbox 360 Game
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)

Best PS3 Game
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)

Best Wii Game
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo / Nintendo)

Best PC Game
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Blizzard Entertainment / Blizzard Entertainment)

Best Handheld Game
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (Sony Computer Entertainment / Ready At Dawn Studios)

Best Shooter
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision / Treyarch)

Best Action/Adventure Game
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)

Best Role Playing Game
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)

Best Multiplayer
Halo: Reach (Microsoft / Bungie Studios)

Best Individual Sports Game
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (Electronic Arts / EA Tiburon)

Best Team Sports Game
NBA 2K11 (2K Sports / Visual Concepts)

Best Driving Game
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts / Criterion Games)

Best Music Game
Rock Band 3 (MTV Games / Harmonix)

Best Soundtrack
DJ Hero 2 (Activision / FreeStyleGames)

Best Song In A Game
Far Away by José González (Red Dead Redemption)

Best Original Score
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

Best Graphics
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)

Best Adapted Video Game
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal / Ubisoft Chengdu)

Best Performance by a Human Male
Neil Patrick Harris as Peter Parker / Amazing Spider-Man (Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions / Activision)

Best Performance by a Human Female
Tricia Helfer as Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty / Blizzard Entertainment)

Best Downloadable Game
Costume Quest (THQ / Double Fine Productions)

Best Downloadable Content
Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

Best Independent Game
Limbo (PlayDead)

Most Anticipated Game
Portal 2 (Valve / Valve)

Ooh that looks good! And you know I like free. ;) I'll be ready to play some when I get back.

Tommy McClain

I am in love with this game.

I purchased it like a year and a half ago, or less, I can't recall exactly, but I hadn't played it at all. Maybe an hour at most.

So finally I saddled up and what can I say, I am impressed. Rockstar won certain respect on my part, I always thought of them as being a low class company.

The game is a lot of fun, and taking into account I am a big fan of the Wild West theme, just like my parents and my siblings are.....

Another thing they got right are the horses. They are so life-like, it's amazing!

They recreated the muscles incredibly well, they are so believable. I have to admit that I've never been a fan of horses, not that I disliked them at all, I just didn't care much.

Then there are the different breeds. Finding the top three breeds of the game is going to be my bane! I can literally spend a couple of hours in one sitting just looking for them, in order to pursue and tame them.

In the recent past I personally had a breed of a different animal with only 200 adults of that particular breed in existence, and I love those kind of things.

So galloping the American plains looking after the American Standarbred, the Hungarian half -my favourite of the top three- and the Kentucky Saddler is so thrilling, I can't stop doing that. I just found the Kentucky Saddler for now, and they are very rare and difficult to find, as rare as hen's teeth.

The setting, the atmosphere, the different animals and places, just completely separate the game from other open-world titles.

While I love cars, we finally don't have cars in a game. Having horses or mules as a means of transport adds a new dimension to the game.

Since they are "living" beings you develop an emotional connection to them. You give them apples to keep them happy, they are vulnerable, not only to predators but to people shooting at you, or can run off a hill because a mistake of yours.

When you find your favourite horse and if he dies, it can be quite heart wrenching in gaming terms, whatever that means. I have to say that I care a lot about my Kentucky Saddler. With a car in games, however, you don't care, it's mostly like "just exploded darn car and go to hell", because you don't have to care about them as with a living being.

The multiplayer is also very fun, original, and unique.

So yeah, it makes me so happy to play this amazing game. I want more games like this Rockstar, if you please.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably my favorite game of all time. It has it all: great graphics, large open world to explore, awesome immersion from sound & music & one of the best stories that make you feel for the characters & I agree about the horses too. Just wished there was more story to play. Guess I'll have to wait for RDR2.

Tommy McClain

I really loved the beginning and the end, but I thought it dragged a lot during the middle section. That's where it went from well written and compelling characters, like the Macfarlanes, to your typical Houser-written, stereotypic buffoons.

It's probably my favorite game of all time. It has it all: great graphics, large open world to explore, awesome immersion from sound & music & one of the best stories that make you feel for the characters & I agree about the horses too. Just wished there was more story to play. Guess I'll have to wait for RDR2.

Tommy McClain
Yes, I am loving it to death. One of the best games ever. Who cares about other games for now. They are some time away. Right now I am playing RDR and that's all i care about. I am immerse in the spirit of the Old West like never before.

Barroom brawls, horseback chases, duels at highnoon.... :D

I really loved the beginning and the end, but I thought it dragged a lot during the middle section. That's where it went from well written and compelling characters, like the Macfarlanes, to your typical Houser-written, stereotypic buffoons.
Sure there are some weird things happening in RDR, but aside from some characters in particular, others are very believable. In real life people can be so suprising, you are modelled to believe that people will react in a certain way but in the end they can surprise you many times.

Some of the characters are a bit over the top, be it either for artistic or dramatic reasons, but still enjoyable for me. John Marston is pretty human, I think. His voice actor is top notch, imho.

There is a particular saying here based on Wild West movies which isn't necessarily always true in the case of RDR, but it can happen quite often in the game during pursuits.

People made this saying theirs here, and they often say about something that is slow....;

"It is slower than the bad guy's horse". :D

It's a very common, universal saying here where I live -probably based on the horseback chases where the heroe was chasing the antagonist- and sometimes it is true in the game too.

Should be able to download the game tonight ... (Playstation Plus freebie)

Should be able to download the game tonight ... (Playstation Plus freebie)

Ooh, you're in for a treat. I absolutely loved RDR, between that Dragons Dogma, KoA, and Skyrim I feel very spoiled this generation. And very tired !><!

Back