iPhone/Zune/iPod & More Prediction Thread

Remind me again, is the Tegra a more expensive core than the SGX whatever core that people think the iPhone 3GS has (and presumes the new Touch will get)?

Probably depends on the volume deals they negotiate.

The Zune HD Leaked prices & date have been confirmed by MS. You can pre-order from their web site...

http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm

Only Walmart, Amazon, Microsoft Store & Best Buy.

Also, got this from my email subscription...

Starting September 15th you can customize a Zune HD with 10 new exclusive designs on five different colors.

ZUNE081009_originals.jpg

They're still doing the Zune Originals program. Pretty cool.

Tommy McClain

I've yet to learn of an IMR with a smaller die size than a comparably performing PowerVR TBDR, so I assume the 3G S's SGX535 -- probably less than 6 mm^2 -- is less costly than Tegra's graphics core.

Just as the chip technology development from Britain shows extensive roots from Inmos personnel and designs -- http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article6788569.ece -- technology development from Colorado Springs is also largely the legacy of Inmos. I live less than a mile from their old plant here coincidentally (which next became a home to the Cray supercomputer company), and the number of local technology companies which owe to, as well as the degree to which they owe to, Inmos is surprisingly great.

http://www.inmos.com/

Reunion dinners are even held here downtown periodically by former personnel, apparently.

Not sure if Tegra comes with a big chunk of embedded memory or not, seems likely to me, which would mean its area would be significantly higher than an equivalent performing SGX.

John.

Not sure if Tegra comes with a big chunk of embedded memory or not, seems likely to me, which would mean its area would be significantly higher than an equivalent performing SGX.
It doesn't, unless you consider ~192KiB big nowadays... :) Certainly it's negligible to what the GoForce 4500 had back in the days. And no, it's not a tiler. Presumably this is used for HierZ and/or the upper layers of compressed framebuffer data.

Even if SGX 535 was bigger (and I have no idea about that), I'm not sure it's a fair comparison since it's not strictly a handheld GPU, and so has a richer feature set than Tegra. At the same time, given the 535's low ALU:TMU ratio and Tegra's less flexible and presumably less efficient *per unit* performance on the other side, I don't even want to start thinking about complex shader performance!

Regarding battery life - 8.5 hours video is about what I'd have expected, but 33 hours audio is surprisingly slow. Apparently they mentioned that was conservative and they'd probably revise it upwards - still, it does make me wonder how big the battery is and why they were too cheap to use a WM8903+PMU instead of a WM8352. Oh well, I'll probably be sticking to be 3G S anyway :p

It doesn't, unless you consider ~192KiB big nowadays... :) Certainly it's negligible to what the GoForce 4500 had back in the days. And no, it's not a tiler. Presumably this is used for HierZ and/or the upper layers of compressed framebuffer data.

Hmm, not convinced 192KB buys you anything significant wrt IMR graphics, obviously you can include part of the compressed data structure, but ultimately the bulk of the data will sit in external memory. Do we know how wide the mem I/F is and what rate its running at?

John.

Hmm, not convinced 192KB buys you anything significant wrt IMR graphics, obviously you can include part of the compressed data structure, but ultimately the bulk of the data will sit in external memory. Do we know how wide the mem I/F is and what rate its running at?
Sure, according to NV's public spec sheet on their site it's 32-bit LP-DDR1 @ 166MHz (333MHz effective) for every SKU except the Tegra 650 that's specced for 200MHz. Obviously this is shared with other subsystems.

That's 4 bits per pixel at 800x480, or 128 bits/16 bytes per 16x16 block (I'm taking 16x16 since that's how G80 works). Seems to me that could save quite a bit if combined with fairly expensive compression/etc. silicon... Remember even in the corner case where you really need 64 bits per pixel, you'll still save 6.25%. I know, I know, how useful! (my point simply being there might be plenty of tiles where you still get 25-50% of the benefit)

Of course, none of this helps at all for alpha blending.

That spec page is wrong, MS has said so themselves. As for why they haven't updated it yet, uhhh :|

What's odd is the footnote says it's based on testing in August 2009, using preproduction, you may not get the same results, blah, blah, blah and other disclaimers.

Regarding the Leo, it doesn't appear as though anyone really has much of a clue what it is going to be yet as various 'leaked' images seem to contradict each other directly. The videos showing the operation of the new TouchFlo3D Manila 2.5 and 2.6 are encouraging though. A nice-looking and reasonably complete interface. Because it is apparently so 'finger-friendly', many are assuming Leo will have a capacitive screen. I can't say I ever really need to use the stylus on my Touch HD running 2.1 though so who knows if this is actually the case?

Can't wait until someone has cooked one of these new Manilas into a ROM for my Touch HD. :cool:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Leo and Firestone have capcitive screens. A Samsung rep told me a few months ago that HTC was working on WM 6.5 devices with capacitive panel for the holydays season but that they (samsung) are probably going to wait for WM7 and the sucessors of the Omnia II to have capcitive panels on their WM products.

Just a heads up on the Zii, they shipped late last week. Fed-Ex has mine in Anchorage Alaska (i'm in Philadelphia), so we should start seeing personal pictures pop up in the next couple days.

The initial devkit release is available on their website, and it's almost entirely 32-bit .deb packages. There's only one windows exe and it's just for exploring the filesystem. Also more detailed SDK is now available.

Just a heads up on the Zii, they shipped late last week. Fed-Ex has mine in Anchorage Alaska (i'm in Philadelphia), so we should start seeing personal pictures pop up in the next couple days.

So, what you're saying is that you'll have a set of performance numbers ready for us to tear apart by next week? ;)

The initial devkit release is available on their website, and it's almost entirely 32-bit .deb packages. There's only one windows exe and it's just for exploring the filesystem. Also more detailed SDK is now available.

So this thing is running Android but with ability to run native C++ code , correct ?

it can run either android or its native 'plaszma os' - another proprietary-enhanced linux distro.

Yep, and while Android support is drawing most of the headlines, Plazma is likely to make better use of the Zii's features. At least in the near term.

So, what you're saying is that you'll have a set of performance numbers ready for us to tear apart by next week? ;)

I'm less interested in the raw performance personally, but if there are some common things you'd like to see, I'd be happy to work on it. It may take me a little while to figure out the "array processor" elements. Creative's technical documents sound very similar in philosophy to Sony's Cell processor. Though obviously on a smaller scale.

ziiegg impressions

my zii egg arrived yesterday and here's my first recon of the device. due to limited chances to dig deeper* it will be focused entirely on

power efficiency

the most power-demanding task i could run on the device since its first full battery charge last night, was video playback. for the purpose i used one of the two demo flicks, 'elephant's dream' (a really nice open project short-film production) of resolution 1280x720p, and duration 10:53. i played that back 6 times, to a battery meter drop of 50% (2/4 bars). i belive it's safe to extrapolate from that that the device can playback 720p video for at least 2h straight. in the course of the playback, the device's back got slightly warm, but nowhere near what an ipod touch 2g gets under similar tasks.

so these are the dry facts. the more i thought of those, though, the more my respect for the 3dlabs guys grew. bear with me:

the device's video playback is achieved not through some specialized codec silicon, but through GP stream processing. that is, in the same way my desktops decode video. the funny thing, though, is that zii is actually better at that task than one of my desktops - a 1.25GHz altivec-wielding ppc, which reaches its performance limit at 720p; under VLC (the fastes player i've come across on that desktop) it already tends to drop frames at that resolution and 30Hz framerate. not the zii, though - its 720p is butter-smooth. with superb down-scaling to its native 480x320.

the implications?

i have a device fitting in my pocket, which device outperforms my everyday desktop (15-30W) in one particular GP streaming class of tasks, without the use of dedicated silicon. and said device can do that for more than 2h on a single battery charge. and by virtue of GP, i, too, can make use of that compuational power for my own purposes.

wow.

i don't know about you, but that makes me glee like a schoolgirl. if i were at nasa i'd be stock-piling zms chips by racks as we speak.

seriously, though, as you can see i'm deeply impressed so far. i hope to be able to give you my impressions from the sdk next.

* my zii sdk installation was bogged down by a persistent problem with ubuntu hardy's networking under parallels on my mac mini. it's a known issue involving wifi, parallels and ubuntu. i plant to revert to wire tonight and continue with the sdk installation.

Back