Windows 7

Drivers you mean? Sleep always worked for me in 7/Vista except when I tried some beta nVidia drivers or modded desktop drivers on my laptop. The symptom was the same: computer woke up, make HDD noises and stuff but screen stayed blank.

Btw, I don't know about XP but resuming from sleep in 7/Vista ought to only take a handful of seconds.
Did you try to google '"Windows 7" resume from sleep'? 393,000 hits, and it's only out for a few days.

if you want to actually save your crashdumps you need a proper sized pagefile on your system disk.
I'd rather spare my SSD from needless spurious writes than save crashdumps I have no use for anyway... :)

Is windows crashdumping into the pagefile, or why are these two connected anyway?

Did you try to google '"Windows 7" resume from sleep'? 393,000 hits, and it's only out for a few days.

before you draw any conclusions, try analysing the crashdump (or even minidump) with windbg. Nearly all S3 standby and resume issues are driver caused. The fact that these drivers came with Win7 or from Windows Update doesn't mean that they can't be faulty in your specific setup.

before you draw any conclusions, try analysing the crashdump (or even minidump) with windbg. Nearly all S3 standby and resume issues are driver caused. The fact that these drivers came with Win7 or from Windows Update doesn't mean that they can't be faulty in your specific setup.
Ok, I will.

What dZeus said. To reiterate, everytime I had any sort of resume from sleep problems on 7/Vista it was due to drivers, nVidia's drivers specifically. Is it possible there's a bug on the power config itself? Very likely. But in my experience, the likelyhood that's the problem versus a driver approaches nil. YMMV.

You're not trying to argue hits on a search engine represent unique persons, are you? :p

For some reason on the start bar it always shows the Dragon Age icon for all of my active steam windows. I can't figure out if there's a way to change that.

I have the same problem, but its the Risen icon, haven't figured out how to fix it yet.

I'd wager it's somehow Valve's fault, hee he. If steam is involved somehow with an issue, it tends to be the cause of it...

Heck, I've lost progress in games because Steam suddenly popped up a promotion window and gave it focus making the desktop appear during play, and then the game crashed when trying to switch back to it.

On a more positive note, I discovered Windows is a lot better now at maintaining the systray area. It remembers the order icons appear in, and you can even re-arrange them yourself. That's way cool. You can also manually set wether icons and notifications appear in a control panel applet, but I guess the program would need Win7 support for that to work...

Nod32 apparantly happily ignores me turning off notifications in Nod32 itself, since my control panel settings is 'show everything'... Lol. Oh well, it doesn't really bother me.

Interestingly for me, I think Win7 is the first time I've sat here after a month of use and when going back to the previous version of windows (Vista in this this case), haven't thought to myself, "Gah, I just can't stand to use the previous version anymore."

In fact, after getting everything setup, I'm left wondering why I upgraded to Win7? It's nice certainly, but feels exactly like Vista in almost every way with minor differences. Some are better, Show Desktop for instance. While some are far far worse, Windows Explorer for instance.

The installed size is smaller, that's nice I suppose. But with almost 6 terabytes of space on my desktop, a few gigabytes isn't all that.

So far, I'm basically recommending to friends and family that they either stick with Vista if they already have it, or upgrade to Win7 if they are still on XP.

One thing I particularly miss is the Vista Ultimate extra Dreamscene, I miss my animated desktop.

Regards,
SB

I should probably ask this elsewhere, but here goes...
I'm about to take me Q6600/8800GS rig that no longer has any windows partition (only Ubuntu for quite some time) and add a windows partition again for gaming (along with bumping to a Q9550 and a 5870 if I can ever find one). Is there any reason to consider Vista over W7? Any reason to go 32-bit vs 64-bit? As I said this partition is for gaming only...thanks for the advice.

. Is there any reason to consider Vista over W7? Any reason to go 32-bit vs 64-bit? As I said this partition is for gaming only...thanks for the advice.

So you're considering Vista 32-bit versus Win7 64-bit..?

You're sane enough to use Ubuntu, but can't figure out that equation?

I should probably ask this elsewhere, but here goes...
I'm about to take me Q6600/8800GS rig that no longer has any windows partition (only Ubuntu for quite some time) and add a windows partition again for gaming (along with bumping to a Q9550 and a 5870 if I can ever find one). Is there any reason to consider Vista over W7? Any reason to go 32-bit vs 64-bit? As I said this partition is for gaming only...thanks for the advice.

I really can't think of any reason you wouldn't go W7 64-bit, unless you play a lot of old legacy games, some of which will have issues.

If you don't already have Vista, I don't see any reason not to just jump to Win7.

As to 32/64 bit, it doesn't really matter all that much for gaming. I'd recommend 64 bit, but only because the more 64 bit machines out there, the faster 64 adoption may be with programmers. :p

Regards,
SB

So you're considering Vista 32-bit versus Win7 64-bit..?

You're sane enough to use Ubuntu, but can't figure out that equation?

It's win7 vs. Vista then within each OS 32 vs 64. I know xp 64 was a nightmare.

Only problem I had with XP64 was that Netgear refused to make 64bit drivers for my WLAN card.
I managed to hunt down generic ones from the chipset manufacturer though.

Netgear have started providing 64bit drivers officially now.

I know xp 64 was a nightmare.
twas not. that's just the usual hearsay nonsense. I suppose it could be a "nightmare" if one was exceptionally incapable of using a PC. Many things become a "nightmare" in that case. :)

I'd really like to know if the Windows 7 networking works.
I've been happy with stock network performance, both wired (1GbE) & WLAN (108Mb), unlike Vista (esp. pre-SP1). Here's a simple disk to disk throughput of a ~3GB file. Vista vs Win7. All values (TCPWinSize, etc) stock. Jumbo frames off.

Attachments

• 1GbE.jpg
    1GbE.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 20
Back