Fable 2

The sales numbers are great, I had a feeling they would be. I haven't seen any other game like Fable on any other system, and Fable2 really does a great job of capturing the feel and adding to the experience.

It's simply the most fun game I've played. Playing it is almost effortless, it's great.

I can't imagine that they would make the announcement that they're going to make a big announcement if it were something trivial such as a patch for bug fixes or some insignificant DLC.

I'd be leaning towards significant DLC - in the vein of an expansion pack, or updates that dramatically impact the co-op portion.

I think this game could sell well through the holiday season, especially with some nice well-themed adverts. The opening sequences as a child with the snow coming down and looking all Charles Dickensonlike strikes me as something that would be nice and 'christmas-y'

I think this game could sell well through the holiday season, especially with some nice well-themed adverts. The opening sequences as a child with the snow coming down and looking all Charles Dickensonlike strikes me as something that would be nice and 'christmas-y'

I don't know, selling game based on a section of the game that lasts 15-30 minutes and ends abruptly (with a brutal murder, no less) would piss people off. Sell it on its strengths; moderate customization, interaction with villagers, show off how pretty combat is. Maybe reflect what people have been doing on forums: telling outrageous stories about their interaction with the world. In fact, sell it as a sandbox game, since that's what it is, that's where it's strong.

Sure, all good ideas.

Ignoring the fact that is how the game is currently being marketed and that it doesn't take advantage of an opening sequence which screams 'holiday season'.

Sure, all good ideas.

Ignoring the fact that is how the game is currently being marketed and that it doesn't take advantage of an opening sequence which screams 'holiday season'.

Sure, but are you going to sell the game based on a section of the game that is mostly a tutorial to the game mechanics? And not even the good part of the mechanics "work for me and I'll pay you one gold!" "no, be a little bastard and instead you'll make -one- gold!" ?

I put 10-12 hours last weekend. Fantastic work!!! I think they nailed the living/breathing world by focusing on the importance of the body language (which actually shows the emotions in humans/primates) rather than the tons of tons of dialogue (that all Bethestha and Bioware games have). Although the latter two companies tried this before, I think Lionhead actually manages to deliver this w/o a single dialogue line for the PC.

Btw, the game engine has the best light shaft implementation to date.. Some images look fantastic...

My only complaint might be not having a one huge world like Oblivion. The occasional loading screen breaks the continuity of the game, though once you start to use fast travel this becomes a non-issue also..

Easily a 9.5/10 game....

So, I know I'm not the only person getting quite low frame rates every now and then. Is fable 2 helped by the NXE install? I recently bought a 120gb hard drive for an extorsionate amount and was thinking it might have been worth it now I'm playing Fable 2. It's not like the stuttering is game breaking, but it would certainly improve the experience for me.

I think gamesmaster mentioned that Fable 2 is one of the games to benefit most visibly from HDD install, vs some other games that barely benefit (and a rare instance that suffers ... like Halo 3 apparently).

mmm... just finished the main story. I spent a lot of time with side quests, hoarding money to buy all the houses. I believe I have spent 30-35 hours on it. I need to check the log stats again. :p

• lol at the sex change liquid. I'm surprised but happy to see there is no achievement regarding its use.
  • the ending was... fairly anti-climactic. I shot the guy as soon as he started talking. :LOL: At the same time... I find it believable if not predictable. He does not appear to be set up as a fighter like Jack of Blades in the first game. The Shard battle was the end boss really.
  • I think they could have handled the dog's death in a more dramatic way. I don't think it really captured that whole emotion thing Mr. Molyneux was talking about. I guess I was expecting a close-up zoom while the slow motion was in effect, and then a bit of focus on the dog falling to the ground. A scene with the hero and the "dying" dog would have been appropriate for the "Sacrifice" ending. Or for the greed ending, they could have shown one of those 2D cut-scenes with the dog dying in the background as the hero makes off with the gold.
  • Next time I'm playing evil and staying young. Seriously. :devilish:
  • I still need to get the gargoyle and silver keys though. It'll take awhile to ferry out the last 5 I've missed, but I suppose I'll do that whilst taking on jobs to make the walking-around thing less of a dull experience.

I have played about 20h so far and it is a good game, but like almost always I do have some issues with it though... :)

Imo technically it is not very impressive. Low res textures and nothing too exciting going on, it drops frames often too and I have encountered some bugs and glitches for example my wife is missing currently and is nowhere to be found.

Using the menus suck! I often found myself having about 10 or more xp potions and using them is a chore, as you can't just "drink" them in the menu and then quickly choose next one, instead when you are in the potions menu and use a potion, the game throws you back to normal gaming screen, then you have to suck the orbs, press start, choose items, choose potions browse the potions and use the correct one. Repeat till the end of time. Luciens 20 piece audio log is in a class of it's own. Why on earth can't you just use the potions or hear the audio in the menu, without the game making you repeat the annoying process one million times? Those audiologs aren't even in order, but scattered all around the books submenu.

The combat system is not as good as in Fable 1 imo. The press X to do everything just doesn't feel very responsive to me and I dont like that I have to buy some of the very basic moves, like counter attack and it cost alot of xp too.

With that said I'm still hooked to the game and there seems to be more quests than in the first Fable, it still feels kind of like Fable 1.5. I'd give it 8.8.

Have you looked
under the guy next door
?

Well yeah hehe I did actually, but that's not it. First of all I treated her quite well and the stats said she is really happy, and I noticed that many others had that same problem after the
10 year spire quest
well I got married again and had a kid, but now the the new wife and our kid are both vanished... I still have my daughter from my first marriage... My house allowance is going to waste so to speak.:) The game keeps eating my family!

Well yeah hehe I did actually, but that's not it. First of all I treated her quite well and the stats said she is really happy, and I noticed that many others had that same problem after the
10 year spire quest
well I got married again and had a kid, but now the the new wife and our kid are both vanished... I still have my daughter from my first marriage... My house allowance is going to waste so to speak.:) The game keeps eating my family!

The only solution I've read of is to bring a new wife (a hooker might work) to the house of the old wife. The old wife should appear, complaining and threatening to leave.

The only solution I've read of is to bring a new wife (a hooker might work) to the house of the old wife. The old wife should appear, complaining and threatening to leave.

Might have to try that. My new wife appeared back though and my new kid had grown from cradle to child overnight so something weird did happen.

I spent large parts of the weekend in Albion and I really enjoyed it. I think it's not a very rewarding game, though. Everything you can do in Albion is kinda fun, but it's so piss easy that the feeling of having accomplised something big isn't really there. The ending of the main quest was a particular let down. (and since Bowerstone apparently swallowed my wife I can't finish the "go back to your family" quest)
Since you never really need money all the activities like getting married or buying property to generate more cash are nothing more than fun, but ultimately pointless disctractions. I wished they were tied more into the more traditional RPG elements, like having to come up with cash because you really need that bad ass sword if you want to survive a particularly challenging encounter. As it is you can't even die if you tried to.

I was also surprised at how little has actually changed since Fable 1. Fable II is a lot bigger in size now and obviously very pretty, but the interaction with the villagers is every bit as shallow and simplistic as it used to be and the combat system has even been toned down a lot in it's complexity, especially the magic system. Those shameless peds also lack common decency. It's kinda fun when you have intercourse while 20 cheering villagers are all crowded in your bedroom. It's still sort of weird, though. I'm also getting tired of proposals every 5 seconds.

One more minor gripe: what's up with my female hero. Geez, she's gotta be 8+ feet tall now(definitely taller than my male hero with the same specs) and looked like a bodybuilder mainlining male hormones and roids until I removed every single physique upgrade. The way you lose weight is weird as well: in Fable 1 you just had to fight and run around to lose your beer gut (which makes perfect sense), in Fable II you have to eat celery, which isn't that easy to come by and keeps me from getting hammered every night. I don't want to look like a female version of Chunk from the Goonies is all.

It's still a very cool game, with some especially well designed side quests that have fun rewards: I'm married to a walking corpse (Fable 1 players are gonna love her) right now for example and can't wait to get my hands on that sex change potion.

Been playing Fable II for the past 2-3 weeks and it's been great fun. The main quest is pretty hopeless though, with a particularly lame ending. I'd say 90% of the enjoyment lies outside of the main quest, quite possibly 90% of the content as well. Just one bloody gargoyle left to get now.

The ending of the main quest was a particular let down. (and since Bowerstone apparently swallowed my wife I can't finish the "go back to your family" quest)

My missing Wife appeared after the main quest had ended, and I had two wifes running around then. The game was really easy. Only once did I accidentaly managed to get rid of my health bar, but having 20 resurrection phials in my inventory, that wasn't such a big deal... Probably the easiest game I have ever played. It didn't really bother me, but I was itching to get some epic long sword, but I never got anything better than my master cleaver with enchantments. Even beating the Crucible with 8 perfect rounds gave me a worse weapon. My pistol had a damage rating of 177 and it tore down everything in its path, and I was happy to have that.

Might have to try that. My new wife appeared back though and my new kid had grown from cradle to child overnight so something weird did happen.
Ha! I suspect that you were playing with the XBOX time in order to generate a load of cash! ;)

Back