Team ICO's teaser for upcoming game

It has sold a lot better after it's been re-released. And don't underestimate its effects on the development community, the industry did notice these games.

ICO was a fantastic game, I preordered it when it was first released and finished it within 2 days. Then came back around and watched each of my friends play the game because I enjoyed the reactions they had as they mirrored my own. Although I want to play SotC I fear I will not be able to enjoy the game as much as I would like because my life is different now. I cherrish every minute I get when I can play video games and Team ICO games are not the kind you can play for 30min and just leave!

Play the SOTC man. It's totaly different than ICO, but on the other hand its very same... All alone, in this ruined land, and one quest. She must be saved...

2rhwweb.jpg

oj36et.jpg

I really wish more developers took a hint from this team and tried something along these lines, this is where the industry needs to move if we want games recognized as an art form any time soon.

I think a lot of it comes from the creative freedom afforded to them by SCE. I remember a Jaffe interview where he credits SCE for encouraging their developers to create their dream games. Games like Everyday Shooter and LBP. And teams like Naughty Dog and Icognito created brand new franchises instead of sticking with the surefire franchises from the PS2.

This is why I really like the idea of SONY's WWS, because they've created a environment where fresh, new ideas can blossom, and then surround it with teams of devs who can share their knowledge of the hardware, and help others realise their ideas. I'm not saying that other studios aren't doing the same, but I'd imagine SCE has the biggest variety in game genres.

I think a lot of it comes from the creative freedom afforded to them by SCE. I remember a Jaffe interview where he credits SCE for encouraging their developers to create their dream games. Games like Everyday Shooter and LBP. And teams like Naughty Dog and Icognito created brand new franchises instead of sticking with the surefire franchises from the PS2.

This is why I really like the idea of SONY's WWS, because they've created a environment where fresh, new ideas can blossom, and then surround it with teams of devs who can share their knowledge of the hardware, and help others realise their ideas. I'm not saying that other studios aren't doing the same, but I'd imagine SCE has the biggest variety in game genres.
Sony is pretty awesome when it comes to their games. Their first/second party games are better than the other two. I'll always have respect for them for greenlighting a sequel to The Mark of Kri even though Mark of Kri didn't sell well.

I'm a bigger heretic. I loved the look and atmosphere of ICO and the relationship it managed to capture, but found it a bit boring by the end, and a forced 1.5 hours stay up after I was very tired and wanting to go to bed but couldn't because the scummy developers didn't give me any means to save my position nor any indicator how much longer I had to play for, any magic in the ending was lost. The incredibly short length and zero replay value also meant for me it wasn't worth full price. A fantastic work of computer art and a landmark title, but at the same time not a fantastic game in terms of entertainment value. I think it's an excellent starting point to develop future games, but I feel they'd do well to broaden gameplay and include more player friendliness to make a more rounded product with greater appeal.

From what I heard earlier, the project's name is "The Lost Canyon" or The Last Canyon".
I don't think that's the case. About six or eight months ago, there was supposedly a "leak" about the game's premise (it involved a canyon), but it ended up actually being a post from some internet board where people were coming up with "Wouldn't it be cool if..." scenarios for the next game.

So in reality, the only thing we really have is... well, this screenshot. Which doesn't give us a lot to go off of. What is it? What is it's significance, it's purpose? Who made it? What part will it play? But, merely the fact that it makes me think of these questions is a testament to how I've been influenced by these games. :)

ICO was not without dry spells and some design issues. But the pros outweigh the cons by an enormous degree, which is why its place on the gaming pedestal is revered by so many. ^_^

Enjoyed Ico a lot but come on, it barely sold so how influential could it have been?

Maybe it inspired some other designers? Not really there aren't other games which copy it.

SoTC sold fairly well but it wasn't a blockbuster was it?

So how can it move PS3s?

Allthough not a huge hit in Europe and America I was under the impression that their games were a huge hit in Japan, that alone justifying their "influental status".

team ICO is well known to make great games for a ninche market which keeps them in obscurity. but in my opinion is alot better at excecution then squareenix (they have been making crap for the last 10 years).

With team ICo it is not about whether the gameplay is new, or whether its super entertainig or not, Its more about how u feel while u r playing that game. I was playing SOTC last night and If I analyse it's "Gameplay", then it is pretty much repetitive , with nothing to do but to "find one Colossus, Kill it, find next Kill It" . There's nothing to do in between , there is no scene making u feel the love for the girl again.

So, looking at it objectively, it is another repetitive game with every Colossus being a puzzle to be solved, no variety.
BUT ! and that's a loud BUT, it is unlike any other game in the way it shows me inside a world. It's an experience, its something u feel, when you are trodding down the hills on the horse, trying to find the way, or when u come face to face to a new colossus and its Unlike something u have seen before ( not an alien, not a monster, Kind of a soaring but sweet and humble statue which is alive!) It is the sense of being one with an abstract world , biting on frustration just to find something that can again rekindle that sense of Awe in you !

I dunno, I just love those Giant Colossus, somehow they are beautiful .

Even the whole premise seems abstract where u have to kill these giants to get ur girl back to life. They have done nothing wrong, and man they are beautiful ! I just didn't want to kill that Horse Colossus ! It was like an old relic u have found, from an old civilisation or something.

Well, see, I got carried away. Its this sense of losing oneself that makes Team ICO's games wonderful! :cool:

Ico really resonated with me, but Colossus never moved me to such an extent that I was able to overlook its repetitiveness. Here's hoping that their next game moves me as much as Ico did, or is less repetitive than Colossus was. (I dare not ask for both!)

Ico really resonated with me, but Colossus never moved me to such an extent that I was able to overlook its repetitiveness. Here's hoping that their next game moves me as much as Ico did, or is less repetitive than Colossus was. (I dare not ask for both!)

My thoughts exactly.

With team ICo it is not about whether the gameplay is new, or whether its super entertainig or not, Its more about how u feel while u r playing that game. I was playing SOTC last night and If I analyse it's "Gameplay", then it is pretty much repetitive , with nothing to do but to "find one Colossus, Kill it, find next Kill It" . There's nothing to do in between , there is no scene making u feel the love for the girl again.

So, looking at it objectively, it is another repetitive game with every Colossus being a puzzle to be solved, no variety.
BUT ! and that's a loud BUT, it is unlike any other game in the way it shows me inside a world. It's an experience, its something u feel, when you are trodding down the hills on the horse, trying to find the way, or when u come face to face to a new colossus and its Unlike something u have seen before ( not an alien, not a monster, Kind of a soaring but sweet and humble statue which is alive!) It is the sense of being one with an abstract world , biting on frustration just to find something that can again rekindle that sense of Awe in you !

Even the whole premise seems abstract where u have to kill these giants to get ur girl back to life. They have done nothing wrong, and man they are beautiful ! I just didn't want to kill that Horse Colossus ! It was like an old relic u have found, from an old civilisation or something.

Well, see, I got carried away. Its this sense of losing oneself that makes Team ICO's games wonderful! :cool:

It couldnt have been said better than this :)

Allthough not a huge hit in Europe and America I was under the impression that their games were a huge hit in Japan, that alone justifying their "influental status".

Hmm I'd personally be surprised if ICO or SOTC did well in japan... does anybody have any sales numbers?

Well, see, I got carried away. Its this sense of losing oneself that makes Team ICO's games wonderful!

Yep exactly :) I can't wait for this game I really can't.

Back