ZOE2 question (Snow, swarm & particle effects)

McFly

Veteran
http://211.216.52.167:8080/zoe/zoe01.mpg (164 MB, 17 Min)

:oops:

The rain effect in MGS2 (the X-Box version) was not nearly as good as the rain (particle) effect on the PS2 version. Do you think that all this particle/swarm effects in ZOE2 would be possible on an other console or is this one of the games that uses the PS2 advantages perfectly? I have to say that I'm extremly impressed about the effects in this game. :)

Fredi

I must say I'm extremely impressed too, and I don't even want to get into the discussion of "whether it is possible on..."

MGS2 and ZOE2 are not just some particle rendering demos. The Emotion Engine is also having to calculate for some pretty impressive background graphics, AI, sound, etc. So, it's not like we get to compare the raw particle generating power of the EE here against Xbox.

I'd say that after figuring how much remaining power there is for particles after factoring the necessary processing for every other game aspect, the PS2 isn't going to compare favorably to the Xbox (which can take care of many more graphic tasks through hardwired functionality, keeping more power free for particle calculation).

Some of the levels in Panzer show some very impressive displays of particle effects.

Even though CPU power is often touted as an advantage for PS2, didn't one of the MotoGP Xbox devs at THQ say that they'd have to scale back the biker AI if they ever wanted to get that engine with that many opponent racers running on PS2? I believe it was because, while impressive in CPU power, the Emotion Engine wouldn't have so much left after having to lend its hand in for the graphics of the quite beautiful MotoGP Xbox.

Thing with particles and PS2, as far as I understand is that VU chips allow for easy vertex generation and destruction, so it helps calculate their positions, and when drawing them, PS2 does a good job with it's multi-pass / transparency friendly drawing nature of GS.

Anyways, there is one game on Xbox (Otogi) that has very impressive particle effects. I haven't seen it in person, but the videos clearly show that it's no slouch in that area. Still, I would say that what ZoE2 is doing with particles, looks even more insane.

I just remember that cool glowing particle effect demo about 1/2 years before the release of the PS2 in Japan. The framerate was shown in the demo, if I'm not wrong ... hmmm ... I think it was 600 frames / sec or something like that and every particle was seen on the reflecting ground, too. Of course without anything else, just the particles and the ground. ;)

Fredi

Is it a new trailer? Because if it is, and after hearing how amazing it looks, I´m considering the download...and I´m on a 56k. :LOL:

I'd say that after figuring how much remaining power there is for particles after factoring the necessary processing for every other game aspect, the PS2 isn't going to compare favorably to the Xbox (which can take care of many more graphic tasks through hardwired functionality, keeping more power free for particle calculation).

IMO, it is all in favour for PS2 as it stands now, considering what we've seen in actual game footage. Not to say though that Xbox couldn't manage, but just comparing games with games, I have not seen a game on Xbox yet that has particle effects as seen in Z.O.E.2 and to a certain extend MGS2's rain...

Contrary to Xbox having more hardwired functionality, I suppose one could also argue the lower fillrate which would sure make a difference in rendering performance, wouldn't it?

It is not a trailer - it's a playthrough from a recently released Japanese demo. Approx 17 minutes time.

Here are some screens. You really have to see it in motion, though.

zoe2_screen003.jpg

zoe2_b2_screen018.jpg

zoe2_screen002.jpg

THAT was freakin WICKED! HEHEHEHHH!!!

Dammit, I have to get this game! When is it coming out in Europe, anyone knows?

*G*

Call me crazy but while the game is undeniably beauitful (not as beautiful as Shenmue of course ;) ) the gameplay looks to be 'more of the same' from the first title. The problem with ZOE was that it became too repetitive, mind you that I'm a fan of beat-em ups like Streets of Rage, arcade Aliens vs. Predator and Dungeons and Dragons...so its not that I'm not a fan of this sort of genre. I don't know.. we'll see.

Even if this game is release on Xbox, it will run like ass and the PSboysies will have wet panties all over again.

Konami, pfft... :rolleyes:

The lowres effects rear their ugly head
I'm sure those effects simply have fixed resolution and do not scale for these ultra high res screens. If you look at the lower res screens or videos, there are no artifacting like that anywhere.

This game looks great. Hopefully the PS2 will get cheap enough to justify a purchase.

My current want list:

ICO
Jak & Daxter
Maximo
The Mark of Kri
Sly Cooper
Shinobi
Space Channel 5 v2
Ratchet & Clank

ZoE2
DMC2 (if they fix the camera)
Xenosaga
Star Ocean

This list is starting to get there. :)

If there's a lull on Xbox, I'll probably finally pick one up, but I still have 6 games to finish right now (SMS, BLinX, NFL2K3, RSC, MP, and PDO).

Johnny, I have a feeling that DMC2 may not be all that great (new famitsu review was pretty average, something like 8,7,8,8, and from the screens seemed kinda unispired)

Also, I *wish* Sega would bring SC5v2 here in America, but there are no news about it whatsoever. So far I know they are releasing it in Europe. Seeing that you are fan of music games, you should really look into Rez, Frequency and upcoming Amplitude (Frequency sequel). When I think about it, Frequency is by far my most played game in the last year. It just *never* gets boring if you are good in it. I have it for almost year and a half and still play it like some kind of fanatic. No wonder it was dubbed 'digital crack' in IGN review :p Rez is another truly brilliant game that you must play if you didn't.

Wow, I must admit, this game really exceeded my expectations in every single aspect. At first I was let down by it going the cell-shaded route, but can only eat my own words after watching these insane movies. :oops:

The video is definately worth downloading if you have enough bandwidth to bare with. For 56k users who don't want to download it, I recommend the IGN videos which are slightly lower res and quicktime feeds.

Release date in Europe: I was under the impression that it was going to be out somethime before summer overhere, but that could be for NA actually. Perhaps automn maybe, but I can't say for sure. I'll see if I can dig up any information on the european release date though...

As for DMC2, 8's IMO would be disappointing after the first part got in quite high scrores. Those reviews won't stop me from buying it though...

Back