Zelda screens and impressions at IGN

My biggest concern (length) was addressed, and I am very happy with the news.

It only makes sense to follow up arguably the shortest Zelda title (TWW) with the longest.

Was TWW the shortest? I seem to remember the 2d zeldas being shorter, but w/e. TWW had too much 'filler' content in it for me as it was, I'd rather prefer a shorter, more focused adventure than an 80 hour fetch quest.

So yeah, that is a very big difference versus the 3:4 interlaced gamecube version. I think this might be the best launch game in history. =D

4:3 progressive scan gamecube version, thank you very much.

Oh, and I think I'd give Halo or Super Mario 64 the title of best launch game, and Super Smash Bros Melee if you'll extend launch to mean within the first couple weeks of launch.

Let's say 6 hours per dungeon time 9 dungeons plus 10-15 hours of other stuff. I don't think they'll put a lame fetch quest in it and I heard TWW only had it because they ran out of time to put in all of their dungeons so they put in a fetch quest to make the game around the 20-30 hour mark.

Let's say 6 hours per dungeon time 9 dungeons plus 10-15 hours of other stuff. I don't think they'll put a lame fetch quest in it and I heard TWW only had it because they ran out of time to put in all of their dungeons so they put in a fetch quest to make the game around the 20-30 hour mark.

Those would be awfully long dungeons, those are RPG length there. Previous Zelda games didn't let you really save your progress in a dungeon, you had to do them almost in one go (outside of major items), I'd be surprised to see a Zelda game with dungeons that take that much time, not without a change in the save system that's been used since the start of the series.

Those would be awfully long dungeons, those are RPG length there. Previous Zelda games didn't let you really save your progress in a dungeon, you had to do them almost in one go (outside of major items), I'd be surprised to see a Zelda game with dungeons that take that much time, not without a change in the save system that's been used since the start of the series.
uhhhhhh, when you saved, it was always at the start of the dungeon but the dungeons weren't straight lines so it might take 15 minutes max to get where you want to go. I remember some of the temples in OoT taking easily 4-6 hours and that game was also rushed. This game also has that "twilight zone" so the way I split it up could be completely wrong.

uhhhhhh, when you saved, it was always at the start of the dungeon but the dungeons weren't straight lines so it might take 15 minutes max to get where you want to go. I remember some of the temples in OoT taking easily 4-6 hours and that game was also rushed. This game also has that "twilight zone" so the way I split it up could be completely wrong.

Eh, I don't think I ever took 4-6 hours on any zelda dungeon, unless the dungeon explicitly required you to leave and come back later. I remember more like a 2 and a half hour max for dungeons.

Eh, I don't think I ever took 4-6 hours on any zelda dungeon, unless the dungeon explicitly required you to leave and come back later. I remember more like a 2 and a half hour max for dungeons.
Most temples required a lot of stuff outside so you know how to find the dungeon, open a door, etc. Not really fetch quests, most were mini-dungeon like areas, but story developments that tell you what is in the dungeon and what to do.

Depends on the dungeon. The first few in OOT are about an hour or so. From the Forest Temple on, you're looking at a good 90 minutes minimum.

Depending.

SugarCoat: One could say that the 2D ones were shorter, true. Even LTTP is supposedly only 15 hours, though I could swear I spent a good 20+ on it the first time through. (as a child, of course)

OOT is supposedly 30 hours and I played it for at least 50 in my first runthrough.

Like i said, it wasnt the art which many people found kiddie, it was simply that i beat the game fast, and that was with all the sailing which could easily take up a quarter of the game unless you were using a walkthrough, in which case you'd beat the game faster. Just wasnt enough meat in it for me. I actually got happy for a very brief moment when they sent you to the alternate hyrule area or what ever it was (been awhile) where everything was kinda washed out colour wise, thought for a brief moment there was a whole nother section of the game. 30 minutes later the credits rolled. :cry:

I, like most fans, have higher expectations for Zelda games based off the past titles. Its not a FPS where 6 hours of quality gameplay is acceptable to me. I want more!

It's actually kind of interesting. My wife and I bought a gamecube (I wanted it for the WW), and she ended up playing it and I decided to let it be "her" game. She loved it, and got through all of it until the fight with Ganon which she never was able to beat. She loved the game though. It was pretty much the perfect level of challenge for her given her lack of experience with videogames.

I bought her the gamecube ocarina of time, and she got maybe about halfway through it before giving up in frustration, and this was after she played the WW.

I'll probably buy her TP, but I'm afraid it's again going to be frustrating for her. We'll see I guess.

Nite_Hawk

Zelda's are awesome games, ever since I played the SNES zelda I have been a huge fan. One problem however still is in place. The dungeons, are simply TORTURE until the boss battle kicks in.

So many different opinions! I love the dungeons, for example.

For the record, my favorite Zelda titles to date (and I've owned all of the Nintendo/Capcom-dev'ed ones) are LTTP and OOT. LTTP if I had to pick one.

So many different opinions! I love the dungeons, for example.

For the record, my favorite Zelda titles to date (and I've owned all of the Nintendo/Capcom-dev'ed ones) are LTTP and OOT. LTTP if I had to pick one.
Huh? I know of The Minish Cap, but besides that I thought they were all made by Nintendo. What are the others?

Well, according to Matt IGN, there is a special "Save Chicken" item which let's you save and load in the exact spot from where you left off.
MattIGN\ said:
Thankfully, you can save at any time and anywhere, including temples. However, if you save halfway through a temple and then quit the game, you'll progress will be noted, but you'll have to physically start back at the beginning of the temple when you return. There is a way around that, too, though. You meet this chicken with a man's face named Occolo - he's very disturbing. You can equip him as an item wherever you happen to be in a temple and he'll save your progress in exactly the same room.

That could only mean dungeons would be at least as lengthy as Majora's Mask (at least with my experiences of any 3D Zelda, they were the lengthiest). But some people would debate it's its unorthodox system that made it difficult. Still, glad to hear Nntendo cranked up the length and difficulty with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't want to start a new thread for this. I just want to say that I just got the Gamecube version, and it's pretty freakin' awesome. Also, the graphics are identical to the Wii screens and vids we've all seen, and I haven't noticed any particular framerate problems or anything...so, don't look at it as the best Wii can do. This game is totally cool. Everyone should buy it.

uhhh no game has ever given me the same feeling of awe as super mario 64. when i walked into a walmart and played the demo it literally blew my mind. i couldnt even believe how amazing it was.

uhhh no game has ever given me the same feeling of awe as super mario 64. when i walked into a walmart and played the demo it literally blew my mind. i couldnt even believe how amazing it was.

I think that had more to do with the switch to 3D from 2D.

It's Sept 2008 and I finally beat this damn game!

It was a mostly enjoyable experience. The music and the boss fights scattered throughout are definitely the best parts of the game. But have to say that it is the weakest of the 3D Zelda games for me.

The game is just too long for it's own good. Or maybe I am just getting too old to be able to enjoy sitting through a 50 hour game. It was really difficult for me to sit down and play through all 50 some hours of this game. Plot wise it was pretty much the same predictable formula from the last games. And most of the game play and combat mechanics were the same too.

They did throw in some new stuff. But I felt the new stuff they did add just made the game more complicated that in had to be. By the end of the game you had 20 or more different items/gadgets in your inventory. And none of them were optional. They all had some kind of specific use in the game. More items didn't foster more creative game play. I felt it just made you have to remember lots of specific techniques for solving puzzles that could only be solved one way.

And finally, a game with production values this high in this day and age with no voice acting is practically unforgivable. It's time for Zelda and Mario to come into the current gen of video games and get some actual voice acting. Just a couple grunts, sighs and giggles just isn't cutting the mustard anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Sept 2008 and I finally beat this damn game!

It was a mostly enjoyable experience. The music and the boss fights scattered throughout are definitely the best parts of the game. But have to say that it is the weakest of the 3D Zelda games for me.

The game is just too long for it's own good. Or maybe I am just getting too old to be able to enjoy sitting through a 50 hour game. It was really difficult for me to sit down and play through all 50 some hours of this game. Plot wise it was pretty much the same predictable formula from the last games. And most of the game play and combat mechanics were the same too.

They did throw in some new stuff. But I felt the new stuff they did add just made the game more complicated that in had to be. By the end of the game you had 20 or more different items/gadgets in your inventory. And none of them were optional. They all had some kind of specific use in the game. More items didn't foster more creative game play. I felt it just made you have to remember lots of specific techniques for solving puzzles that could only be solved one way.

Playing that game was a real joy and I collected everything there was to be collected (heart pieces and bugs...etc), but when I think back to it, it was really just a big Zelda game. There is nothing wrong with that formula as I love Zelda games, but TP was more of the same and didn't innovate an inch.

And finally, a game with production values this high in this day and age with no voice acting is practically unforgivable. It's time for Zelda and Mario to come into the current gen of video games and get some actual voice acting. Just a couple grunts, sighs and giggles just isn't cutting the mustard anymore.

I'd rather not hear extended dialogue with Link and especially not Mario.

"
Mario: Hi, ah Link. Do you have a heart a piece for me?
Link: (covers ears) Shut up. Just shut up.

Back