Your Top 5 Picks for Xbox 360

Skrying

S K R Y I N G
Veteran
I've decided, I'm going to be treating myself to an Xbox 360 this winter. So, I have $650 to spend, $400 of that is going to the Xbox 360 (Premium only for me!) and that leaves room for about 5 games (depends on prices).

This is where you all come in, what are your top fives picks for Xbox 360 games that are currently out or will be out by the end of December or January.

Thanks!

Well it all depends on personal preference. Some people, amazing as it sounds, won't enjoy Gears of War, despite it being the highest rated game on the system. If i assume for a minute that you have no genre of choice, and you're open-minded, i'd recommend the following

Gears of War
Oblivion
PGR3 (it's a budget title too!)
Dead Rising

I would stop at 4 and consider spending that last $50 or so either another controller or some accessories like the play and charge kit, or perhaps Halo 2 (unless you have it)

Also, if you expect younger people to play too, Viva Pinata looks good, or if by Jan 07, you were to stretch to Q1 07, Bioshock is looking pretty amazing

It would be nice if you were to say if there are any particular genre of games you like or dislike

Personally, I'd go with:

Dead Rising
Tomb Raider: Legend (it's good, I know! Shocking!)
Burnout: Revenge or PGR3 (depending on what kind of racing fan you may be)
Lost Planet (supposed to be out Jan 12th)
Chromehounds (a limited appeal title, sure. Replace with Saints Row if you'd like a nice sandbox title)

Oblivion only if you like the genre and don't have a PC that you game with. ;) Blue Dragon (if it's out in that time period), if you're that kind of console gamer. (Most Xbox owners I know are not.) You'll notice a complete lack of things FPS (and even GoW right now, as it might be too FPS-like for my tastes, but it certainly wouldn't be a "risk" title by any stretch) as I cannot abide those on console. Or anything RTS'ey. Or computer RPGs either, but you may not have a good rig for Oblivion, so I figured it worth mentioning. ;)

Or cut down on one of the titles and pick up some XBLA stuff. There are a few gems in there, though Paul's suggestion also makes sense. You may not be thinking about what extras you need.

I'm very open minded, I play nearly everything, about the only games I tend to dislike is Final Fantasy style RPGs (JRPGs or whatever they go by I guess).

*Yes I've already played Oblivion on my PC, I have a fairly decent PC (Core 2 Duo, Geforce 6800GS, so on) that I figure really doesn't desperately need an upgrade this Xmas, so I want to grab an Xbox 360 as I see it as a longer investment that even if doesn't get a ton of play from me will be a great hand me down to a family member with kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or cut down on one of the titles and pick up some XBLA stuff. There are a few gems in there, though Paul's suggestion also makes sense. You may not be thinking about what extras you need.

That is a very good point though, had not thought about market place points...God MS really do have a little money making machine here don't they :devilish:

I'm very open minded, I play nearly everything, about the only games I tend to dislike is Final Fantasy style RPGs (JRPGs or whatever they go by I guess).

*Yes I've already played Oblivion on my PC, I have a fairly decent PC (Core 2 Duo, Geforce 6800GS, so on) that I figure really doesn't desperately need an upgrade this Xmas, so I want to grab an Xbox 360 as I see it as a longer investment that even if doesn't get a ton of play from me will be a great hand me down to a family member with kids.
Oh, good. Well then I certainly don't suggest any FPSes on 360. ;)

I'll have a better handle on GoW after this weekend, as I'm going to friend's house with it and will see if the gameplay is closer to Lost Planet. I usually cordone my activities in their "natural environments." Hehe...

PC games especially, since they may not always be as polished as the console version, but they have the better community. And, mmm... lovely, lovely mods.

A HOCKEY game in the top five? You, my friend, are slipping...

Well with those things in mind, obviously you don't have kids, so VP is out, and you own Oblivion (and i'm guessing you'd buy stuff like Shadowrun, Alan Wake and Bioshock for the PC too...correct me if i'm wrong) so Scoobys suggestion of FN3 or maybe NHL (Being from England, i'm not familiar with stuff like Madden so i couldn't say either way on a lot of sports games) might be a good plan

Of course you could spend $50 or so on Xbox Live for a year...i can totally recommend that

Skyring, before this gets outta hand(!) I'll suggest GR:AW (for longevity) and Condemned (for something a little different and probably cheap to pick up now).

the games which tell you bout 360 well are i think...

obviously Gears of War
Project Gotham Racing 3
Oblivion
Call of Duty 3
DeadRising

Condemmed(rent)
FEAR(rent)
Prey (rent)
Kameo(buy)
Oblivion(buy)

*rent if you aren't into multiplyer games.

Ninzel raises a good point. You could also treat yourself to, like, 4 months of GameFly and try out whatever the hell you want to. ^_^

Gears of War
Dead Rising
NBA2k7
COD3
Lost Planet (Jan?)
Geometry Wars/Lumines (XBL Arcade ;) )
Kameo (Platinum Hits)
PGR3 (Platinum Hits)
Oblivion
Dead of Alive 4

Pick from those and you should be good to go.

So far I'm looking at:

GOW
COD3 (want to play this with a cousin, so therefore I'll not be picking up the PC version)
PGR3
Dead Rising
Kameo

I've always planned on picking up Xbox Live, and that's part of the big reason I'm going to be picking up a Xbox 360. Live has always had a nice attraction to me, plus a lot of the services it offers all in one place is doubly nice.

(there is no CoD3 PC version, its a console only title)

Here is my list:

Gears of War (duh)
R6:Vegas (unless your PC can run the UE3 engine smoothly)
PGR3 (OR wait for Forza 2 - forza is a must buy for any racing fan)
Viva pinata\Kameo
Dead rising?

OR

Do this:

Wait for Forza 2 (swap with PGR3)
and swap viva\kameo with Bioshock

Yeah, you can pick up Condemned, PGR3 and Kameo on the cheap (and all worthwhile) - a but of careful ebaying and you'll probably pick them up for the full price of a new title.

If you're even remotely interested in boxing, definitely pick up Fight Night Round 3. I'm not even much of a boxing fan, but I've had a blast with that game. The "Total Punch Control" system really makes you feel like you're some huge guy beating the crap out of someone. You should see the ugly bastard I created as my boxer.

GRAW
Kameo
Gears
NBA2k7
marvel ultimate alliance (its actually a lot of fun and long on marvel info)

xbla
Geo wars
cloning clyde
outpost kaloki x
small arms

i havent played sonic or cod3 yet but i own em...

I have 26 games for x360 in a year... thats fantastic... and 20 of them were definitely worth buying...

If you like racing games, get Test Drive Unlimited. Sure, it's no where near perfect, but it's online system, plus the ginormous island far and away make it the most impressive racing game I've played.
As someone once said, it's basically a chat room for racers. I'd also say it has the most impressive terrain in any game I've played, including oblivion. It's use of Live is pretty much unmatched for a subscription-less game.
TDU is my pick for one of the bigger 'sleeper hits' out there.

I'm also quite the geometry wars fan :)

Back