You like silicon based products and cheese? Pizza Hut mixes both for your pleasure!

You can argue to be right all you want. We're just talking about pizzas.

Personal preference. I really just cringe at "Chicago" style pizza. I prefer my pizzas flat, crispy and with more toppings, rather than more crust and cheese, which are what Chicago pizzas are all about.

But you CAN put sweets on a pizza! haha! My favorate desert pizza is a simple crunchy crust topped peaches and sugar!

That's a dessert, that's almost cheating.

BTW, is there a non 'chicago' style pizza where the crust provides significant imput to the taste of the pizza? I mean most flatbread pizzas', I've eaten, taste focuses mostly on the cheese, toppings and sauce. While I do like them, I find that a crust like pizza hut's adds additional input to its flavor, with it's slightly oily light golden crisp fluffy bread crust.

This thread has made me so hungry for pizza, but now all the pizza places are closed :(

There are restaurants aimed at tourists that open 24-7. Next time you could check one of those ;)

I was in Pizza Hut _once_. As I tried the thingies they try to sell as "pizza", I turned around and left to never be seen there again. Are these guys really serious? A pizza Salame with like 5 half an inch big pieces of salami on it, wtf? On top of that, it doesn't even look or taste like real pizza. Crazy.

Well, if you order Chinese food in an US/EU restaurant, you also get something quite different than you would get in China. ;)

Not around here, we have quite several genuine Chinese and Thais in my area cooking pretty much the original way. And real, tasty pizza in italian restaurants here is even cheaper than the PizzaHut crap.

Not to burst your bubble, but pizza isn't italian, and pizza in Europe is a pale shade of the original

Not to burst your bubble, but pizza isn't italian, and pizza in Europe is a pale shade of the original

Quoted from Wikipedia, so it must be true.
For much of the 20th century, many Chinese erroneously believed that pizza was an evolution of Chinese green onion pancake, brought back to Italy by Marco Polo. [3] [4] Chinese opinions on pizza's invention often run along lines like this:

Marco Polo missed green onion pancakes so much that when he was back in Italy, he tried to find chefs willing to make the pancake for him. One day, he managed to meet a chef from Naples at a friend's dinner party and persuaded him to try recreating the dish. After half a day without success, Marco Polo suggested the filling be put at the top rather than inside the dough. The change, by chance, created a dish praised by everyone at the party. The chefs returned to Naples and improvised by adding cheese and other ingredients and formed today's pizza. [5]

Anyway, the italians certainly perfected it.

Cheers

Ink, I'm fairly certain there are a lot more than three. Three is what it shows at the bottom, to the right of the map you need to hit "Next 3 Listings" and it never gives a total number of ones in state. There are at least 9 that I know of in a 30 mile radius for me. 5 of which is one town of 80,000. University town, so it makes sense.

You're right, there are more than three. I managed to miss the button that displayed the next three.

Not around here, we have quite several genuine Chinese and Thais in my area cooking pretty much the original way. And real, tasty pizza in italian restaurants here is even cheaper than the PizzaHut crap.
Yes, we have those as well: you have the "regular" Chinese et al restaurants, who serve the local stuff known as such here (which isn't eaten in the land it's named after), and the "genuine" ones, which serve the authentic speciality dishes.

Personal preference. I really just cringe at "Chicago" style pizza. I prefer my pizzas flat, crispy and with more toppings, rather than more crust and cheese, which are what Chicago pizzas are all about.
Yes, it's often the case that those who lie within the population that is inherently inferior feel a sense of resentment and hostility towards the superior :LOL:. Nietszche points out rather beautifully how questions of weak vs. strong get transmuted into matters of good vs. evil.

Seriously, though, a proper Chicago style pizza should have more sauce and toppings than any other variety of pizza in addition to more cheese and crust (there are variations like simply thicker crusts, but those are counter-transitional forms more so than Chicago-style pizza per se). Formally speaking, Chicago-style is a magnification of all things pizza, even if that magnification turns a few things on its head. When I see New York style pizza, I see something that was intended to be a snack, and not really a meal. It's the metaphorical fast-food pizza you walk around with and munch on as opposed to a sit-down-and-eat-at-the-table pizza. No one in Chicago claims that they're doing something more authentic or "properly" -- just that after all the transformations that have happened to pizza throughout the US, it took Chicago to finally get it right.

All said, though, I don't cringe at New York style. It's a nice light snack once in a while. What does make me cringe quite often is California-style pizza. It just smacks of trying to be unique for the sake of being unique rather than purposefully so. And every California-style pizza I've ever had, even the ones that aren't necessarily weird, has an utterly tasteless and dry crust coupled everything that goes on it is in such light quantities (although there are occasionally a few I've had that have proportionally overdone it on the cheese and garlic).

About the only chain pizza I've gotten to like a little lately is Round Table, and I've never seen them outside of California. Still, they cover the gamut of what chains are expected to cover including the California-style oddities that are expected in the state, and their pan pizza is pretty much what I'd expect Pizza Hut's to be like if it had actual cheese and wasn't stewed in a vat of grease. Still, for all that, homemade trounces everything, with true Chicago-style being a close second.

A "real" Italian pizza does have a thick bottom, but it's an actual crust: crispy and crunchy on the outside, softish (but not spongy) on the inside. Like a very thin, crisply baked bread. And a bit of topping, which mostly consists of a very thin layer of tomato puree and some thin slices of meat and/or fish and vegetables and/or spices. So, it's rather like thin, spiced bread.

While the "real American pizza" sold over here mostly consist of a thick layer of soft and spongy bread, with quite some rather large pieces of meat and/or fish, a small bit of vegetables and ample (tomato) sauce dumped on top. And I'll wager those pieces of meat and/or fish are tiny compared to the pieces sold on pizzas in the US.

If you order a sandwich over here, there is one or two slices that are about a millimeter thick on them. Everyone I know who has been to the US remarks on them ordering a simple sandwich and getting much more meat or other topping than bread.

A "real" Italian pizza does have a thick bottom, but it's an actual crust: crispy and crunchy on the outside, softish (but not spongy) on the inside. Like a very thin, crisply baked bread. And a bit of topping, which mostly consists of a very thin layer of tomato puree and some thin slices of meat and/or fish and vegetables and/or spices. So, it's rather like thin, spiced bread.

mmm.... I recall the last time I was in Vegas... there was a place in the Flamingo that made pizzas just as you describe. They had the giant brick oven and made the stuff on the spot. I thought it was really good. :)

Well, I'd say that the pizzas that ultimately became the basis from which American pizzas were borne are really the Pizza Margherita, which is still Italian, but not really conforming to the standard image of the peasant food that was called pizza prior to that point.

While the "real American pizza" sold over here mostly consist of a thick layer of soft and spongy bread, with quite some rather large pieces of meat and/or fish, a small bit of vegetables and ample (tomato) sauce dumped on top.
I'll agree with you on the sauce and toppings (and cheese), but the oldest American pizzas were really pretty thin on crust. It was only after the Chicago-style pizza came around that thick crusts were in, and then the chain pizza places split the difference and aimed for something that could be produced in large quantities quickly and consistently. Thin New-York style crusts weren't really suitable initially because they couldn't hold up well enough over things like delivery and being placed in cardboard boxes and all (they'd get soggy from condensation and such). Thick Chicago-style deep dish crusts held up well, but they were costly and time-consuming to bake. So they developed the soft spongy thick bread you speak of which rely primarily on chemical leavening.

Everyone I know who has been to the US remarks on them ordering a simple sandwich and getting much more meat or other topping than bread.
Well, I'm not surprised at that. The American image of food is often all about excesses in consumption because they were brought up taking the idea of food being available for granted. Meat is plentiful, so it went from "meat" to "meeeeaaat"! Fresh vegetables are available all year-round, so the salad went from light noshes to hearty piles of a million things. The ideal American sandwich doesn't come from the John Montagu card game story, but from strips featuring Dagwood Bumstead.

It's nice that things actually are as I expected them. But one slight point:

I'll agree with you on the sauce and toppings (and cheese), but the oldest American pizzas were really pretty thin on crust. It was only after the Chicago-style pizza came around that thick crusts were in, and then the chain pizza places split the difference and aimed for something that could be produced in large quantities quickly and consistently. Thin New-York style crusts weren't really suitable initially because they couldn't hold up well enough over things like delivery and being placed in cardboard boxes and all (they'd get soggy from condensation and such). Thick Chicago-style deep dish crusts held up well, but they were costly and time-consuming to bake. So they developed the soft spongy thick bread you speak of which rely primarily on chemical leavening.
If I order a pizza, it's almost always an Italian-style one, unless I specifically order from an American-style company. Although you can order Italian style pizzas with any amount and kind of topping you want. And they work out nicely (still taste nice and fresh) when delivered. Or would that only be because the distances over which they deliver are pretty short?

Then again, I think time is the most important factor, and they all promise to deliver within half an hour unless they say otherwise (rush hours), in which case it's at most an hour. And they all make them on demand, from fresh ingredients (meaning, they roll the dough, add the topping and put it in the oven after you called, frozen products are not done).

While (AFAIK) many American pizza delivery services offer a maximum time of delivery or you get it for free, they seem to go for the mass production and uniformity instead, which means: frozen products and least time to delivery.

Choices.

None of the pizza delivery chains in the US use frozen product, AFAIK.

Nor do they offer 'free if not in 30 minutes'. Domino's did for a while, but stopped 15 years ago, but got into legal trouble because of accidents from their drivers.

None of the pizza delivery chains in the US use frozen product, AFAIK.

Nor do they offer 'free if not in 30 minutes'. Domino's did for a while, but stopped 15 years ago, but got into legal trouble because of accidents from their drivers.
Thanks.

So, it's mostly a matter of taste?

Back