XP window repainting SLOW

PARANOiA

Veteran
I've got a problem with my Windows XP-PC redrawing the screen. After having my PC on for a while, it takes about four-five seconds to redraw the screen on resizing a window. This has been going on for a few months, and I've changed drivers a few times since (Raddy 9500pro) so I'm assuming it's not a driver issue.

When first I boot up however the problem doesn't exist. So I'm assuming there's something that happens after a given amount of time, or a program really screws with how Windows runs.

Interestingly, the SYSTEM process jumps to 100% CPU usage when the repainting occurs.

Programs I have open pretty much all of the time are:
  • NOD32
  • Itunes
  • Trillian
  • Firefox
  • Thunderbird
  • Utorrent
  • Hotmail Popper
  • CCC
  • That free firewall app posted here a few weeks ago whose name I cannot remember :] (Symantec?)
I was hoping someone/all of you could advise if this is unique to me? Does anyone experience this? How did you resolve it? Any ideas on what I can do?

May be a different culprit, but I get this occasionally, to fix it I just hop into the ATI CP and change enough settings for the D3D driver to re-initialise.

FrameBuffer said:
you check Smartgart ??

Yeah Smartgart is always at 8x.

Fodder, I'll try that. If it works, I'll look at prevention next over cure.

Digi, get NOD32. My system got hosed after I thought it was "protected" by AVG. NOD32 has caught so much it makes me grin. That interweb is a nasty place, afterall.

Hrmm well reinitialising D3D *did* work. I'll do some more research, but at least I've got a temporary fix.

Perhaps it's .NET 2.0 ?

Fodder said:
May be a different culprit, but I get this occasionally, to fix it I just hop into the ATI CP and change enough settings for the D3D driver to re-initialise.

I discovered Ati Tray Tools has an entry to reinit driver (you know, the flick screen once trick). I kick it a few times if it doesnt behave ;-)

I've been getting somewhat the same issue the past couple of weeks. Also on ATI and using the Sygate Firewall if that matters any (I doubt it).

Sometimes it goes away by itself.

Back