XP + DMA problem

MuFu

Chief Spastic Baboon
Veteran
I've just set up an HTPC for our house here at uni, using a collection of old bits:

Athlon 1.2GHz
Asus A7M266
512MB PC2100
IBM 180GXP 80GB
IBM 75GXP 45GB
Radeon 7200
Pioneer DVD-106s
etc

It's running XP Pro w/SP2. At first I only had the 45GB drive installed and the channel defaulted to PIO-4. This is using the VIA chipset drivers that come with Windows (which are, admittedly, ancient) - the latest drivers on Asus' site aren't XP compatible and a forced install of either them or the latest "3-in-1s" results in the system stalling at the splash screen during boot up. The usual tricks to get DMA enabled (that I know of) - uninstalling/reinstalling IDE channels, increasing the mode query timeout, and slaving with a drive in a higher mode didn't work.

Seemed it might be a driver problem at that stage, but when I stuck the Maxtor DM9+ from my machine in there out of curiosity, it worked in UDMA5 automatically. So I thought there might be a problem with the 75GXP (haha, where have I heard that before?!), but the same thing happened when I put the other IBM in. Both drives work in PIO-4 by default - no amount of jumper, slave/master or IDE cable configuration changes have remedied this. At the moment I'm using a reg hack to force both drives into UDMA-5 at startup, but I'm almost certain it hasn't taken. Device Manager reports the mode change, but system performance doesn't reflect it. DVD playback is flawless, thankfully, but we have to use VLC for other media. In most common apps video/audio playback is useless and even in VLC there's the odd stutter.

Any ideas? I guess I should plough on and try a few more 3-in-1 versions. Hmm...

Is the A7M using the AMD chipset? If so, I think I had one of those, and I was unable to get it out of PIO mode, ever. This was some years back though.

Yep. AMD761 + VIA VT82C686B south bridge.

That's encouraging, Dio. Cheers. :LOL:

Can't remember if I had the K7M or the A7M. But that board was a pain. Every time I saved a file the mouse pointer would pause for half a second.

I used it as my main work machine for a year though so it couldn't have been that bad...

Back