Xbox360 stress testing and CPU/GPU engineering numbers...

Pozer

Regular
Interesting read.
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9004/Burning-Down-the-Xbox-360/

As a launch Xbox1 owner I think Im one of the lucky ones as my unit is still working. Although it could use a drive replacement.

Here are some interesting facts from the article.

- Microsoft began the Xbox 360 project in late 2002.
- In 2003, Microsoft decided it wanted to launch its next-generation console before Sony.
- IBM put 400 engineers to develop the Xbox 360 CPU.
- IBM taped out (finished the design) of the CPU in December 2004.
- ATI put 300 engineers to developer the Xbox 360 GPU, aka Xenos.
- ATI finished its GPU design on November 2004.
- Todd Holmdahl, who we interviewed here, came up with the idea of changing the manufacturing scheme. Now Microsoft will acquire IP instead of buying parts.
- More than 1,000 engineers worked under the leadership of Todd Holmdahl.
- There are more 10,000 people working to make sure the Xbox 360 arrives on time in November.
- Best quote from a Microsoft engineer: “Holy shit! We just finished the first one. We gotta cost reduce it. And then make the new one.â€￾
- Xbox 360 hardware will be made with lead-free solder to meet European regulations.

Finally, lead-free solder! My questions are answered... ;)

Anyway it is interesting to see how many engineers IBM and ATI, respectively, attached to their XBox projects. That's actually quite a few from IBM there.

Pozer said:
- Xbox 360 hardware will be made with lead-free solder to meet European regulations.
Hopefully it'll be made with no halogenated flame retardants either so our balls don't wither and scrunch up like raisins... :)

Pozer said:
- Best quote from a Microsoft engineer: “Holy shit! We just finished the first one. We gotta cost reduce it. And then make the new one.â€￾

hahahhahahaah..oh man...that made me laugh, thats the ticket!!

Back