Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2017]

You can bet your arse than Microsoft have solid usage data that few people are using these concurrent functions. Typically this is how product decisions are made. It sucks to buy into a product concept that then changes but it's the risk we all take as day 1 purchasers. We're no longer buying into a fixed product feature set but more an idea of the ideal product which may change. As an example, the PS3 linux functionality removal is still an ongoing issue.

What a time to be alive!!! :runaway:

but it's the risk we all take as day 1 purchasers.
are you including the people that bought it couple weeks ago as day 1? :runaway:
they have to be careful about stripping all their usp away.
I'd be surprised if pip/overlay doesn't replace snap though.

are you including the people that bought it couple weeks ago as day 1? :

Well it's an alpha/beta so your investment in those programme is at your own risk. But day 1 or day 700 it's the same. The platform is a moving target.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just asked again to provide feedback if I would "recommend" this build to friends. I voted Absolutely Not and explained how much of a downgrade it currently is without proper multitasking for Skype, Twitch, TV etc.

Previously with the beta program of "Cortana" Assistant replacing "Xbox" voice commands it wasn't until a month or more of continual negative and vocal feedback that they finally got the fucking hint and provided the capability of still using the faster, superior, and offline suitable "Xbox" commands. They should have known that rolling out a "replacement" multitasking feature without it being an actual replacement is batshit crazy.

You can bet your arse than Microsoft have solid usage data that few people are using these concurrent functions. Typically this is how product decisions are made. It sucks to buy into a product concept that then changes but it's the risk we all take as day 1 purchasers. We're no longer buying into a fixed product feature set but more an idea of the ideal product which may change. As an example, the PS3 linux functionality removal is still an ongoing issue.

What a time to be alive!!! :runaway:

Not sure your opinion matters here. You're not in the beta nor own an XB1.

Tommy McClain

Some new details were shared from Major Nelson on upcoming update details: https://majornelson.com/2017/03/20/...g-out-to-insiders-this-month/?linkId=35654638

My personal favorite, considering I submitted scathing feedback about "My Games and Apps" lack of a X360/XO game filter last night when the survey popped up.

My Games and Apps, and Settings
  • In ‘My Games and Apps,’ we’re adding the ability to filter your game library by platform – Xbox One and Xbox 360.
library_sorting.gif

Still no improvements in the Alpha Ring related to a true Snap-Mode replacement. I'm using every feedback opportunity I have about The Guide, The Dashboard, and Skype to make it perfectly clear how critical and useful it is to allow for multi-tasking while gaming, so one can Skype, Twitch, WatchESPN, Watch TV, or browse TrueAchievements guides.

About time on the filter option for 360 games. Funny timing though. I just bought an external hard drive with the intent to segregate my games(360 on internal & XB1 on external). I guess I won't need to now. LOL

Don't think I care about the other new features. Like you I hammer them about the loss of Snap every chance I get.

Tommy McClain

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

what was the reasoning for removal? I didn't think it would take up resources at all times

They mutter about performance enhancements... Then they brought the achievement tracker overlay and fucked up all the good things.

The only thing they gave us was the console equivalent of the Windows 8.1 Start Menu, the new Xbox Guide and made it take 3 actions to go home all because 1 action to go Home and 2 actions to get to the Guide was bad. Fucking morons. Some users just want to go to the desktop (xbox home screen).

what was the reasoning for removal? I didn't think it would take up resources at all times

Their public reasoning was to speed up & simplify the dashboard. But if you look at the development reasons you'll see that they deprecated the Snap feature since it was a product of the Windows 8-based architecture. From what I understand Snap was not supported in UWP apps. So for the Windows 10 architecture & UWP apps they have created replacement called "compact overlay".

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/un...1/compactoverlay-mode-aka-picture-in-picture/

What sucks is that they removed the feature before they updated most of the apps to support compact overlay. Only two apps are supported: Achievement Tracker & Cortana. Neither were worthy replacements. Had they held off with the removal until most of the apps supported the mode I wouldn't be complaining. Right now I can't video Skype while playing game, watch Live TV/ESPN while gaming or snap TrueAchievements while playing. If I didn't want that capability I would have bought a PS4. XB1 is slowly losing what made it unique. :/

Tommy McClain

They even rolled out an entirely new Skype App last week, but it doesn't support compact overlay mode. WTF?!?

They have not communicated to anyone when and what will support the snap-mode replacement.

They even rolled out an entirely new Skype App last week, but it doesn't support compact overlay mode. WTF?!?

They have not communicated to anyone when and what will support the snap-mode replacement.

Yeah, the desktop version of Skype Preview supposedly supports compact overlay. Why the Xbox app doesn't is beyond me. Wished they more transparent. Just so damn aggravating.

Tommy McClain

I got the preview update a couple of day ago and while it is much more responsive, the Beam app was very laggy for me.

I didn't test too many other things out, but the changes made don't really bother me too much. I'm looking forward to what they replace snap with.

the new Xbox Guide and made it take 3 actions to go home all because 1 action to go Home and 2 actions to get to the Guide was bad. Fucking morons. Some users just want to go to the desktop (xbox home screen).

The long standing complaint is double tapping is unreliable for some of us. Double tapping had 3 actions where as single tap had 1 action. And for the very vocal 'make it work like 360' group, the current setup satisfies that. If you want home now with just button presses, hit the guide button and tap A twice. Now you go home when you intend to, and no accidental commands like before.

What sucks is that they removed the feature before they updated most of the apps to support compact overlay. Only two apps are supported: Achievement Tracker & Cortana. Neither were worthy replacements. Had they held off with the removal until most of the apps supported the mode I wouldn't be complaining. Right now I can't video Skype while playing game, watch Live TV/ESPN while gaming or snap TrueAchievements while playing.

Agree that they should have had more of the replacement in place before making the change.

For right now though, they may need to make sure those Edge pwn2own hacks that escaped a VM don't work on Xbox One.

As I said before, they made things 3 times worse for those who don't want to live in the Start Menu (Xbox Guide). They had it take 2 actions to go to Guide before [Xbox button then left on left stick or left bumper] and 1 action to go Home. Now its consistently worse for everyone.

I never had issues with double-press before, but I understand some did. Ideally, they need to allow for customized shortcuts so everyone can select what happens.

As I said before, they made things 3 times worse for those who don't want to live in the Start Menu (Xbox Guide). They had it take 2 actions to go to Guide before [Xbox button then left on left stick or left bumper] and 1 action to go Home. Now its consistently worse for everyone.

I never had issues with double-press before, but I understand some did. Ideally, they need to allow for customized shortcuts so everyone can select what happens.

Yes it has gone through different designs. But with the accidental clicks, double tapping was not reliable for time sensitive gaming functions. Screenshots, 'record that', and DVR are now right where they should be for instant gamer access. Thanks to gamer feedback, Home is no longer the One place for everything. And going home is not time sensitive. On the bright side you can still just say 'go home', 'go back', and so on if you don't want to press buttons.

I'm still not fully happy with the overall ui design. I think the new guide is a good step in the right direction. Habit makes me want to return to the home screen, but there isn't much reason to do so anymore. I do think guide->A->A is a weird way to get to the home screen. Overall ui speed still needs to be faster. I think they have too many elements that must sync to xbox live. Yesterday I was downloading the mass effect trial at full rate, which I know causes latency issues for me because of bufferbloat on my isp. It made the ui noticeably laggy. That really shouldn't happen when I'm navigating the guide. Nothing should be sensitive to the latency of your internet connection. Anything that's web content should be loaded asynchronously, so navigation is fast and responsive.

I was hoping for more speed for sure, latency is a big issue for me. I haven't had the chance to hook this thing up to a TV to get the full Xbox experience yet. But as a pure gaming UI it's not quite there yet. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but something more responsive and less ad driven then this.

I was hoping for more speed for sure, latency is a big issue for me. I haven't had the chance to hook this thing up to a TV to get the full Xbox experience yet. But as a pure gaming UI it's not quite there yet. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but something more responsive and less ad driven then this.

I think the general layout of the categories on the guide are good. I think the sub-menu with the options for home, store, recently played/used and pins is laid out a bit weird. Most of the other sub-menus are probably good. I don't mind the tile layout for pins on the home screen because you get to see the cover/title art for the games prominently, but I think in a lot of cases I just prefer lists. It's like how in windows I change the default layout of my windows to be lists rather than icons in almost all cases.

Speed is probably the biggest thing though. I'll take a somewhat clunky ui that I can navigate incredibly quickly over a nicely designed ui that navigates slowly.

Back