Wow! Check out this SUPER-Enthusiast ATI mobo by Sapphire

Looks nice, but I'd rather have a red pcb.
And not so sure about watercooled mosfets.

Sxotty said:
Um those water blocks don't look like they would disapate heat as well being that so much is plastic.

Well, the thing that is disapating the heat is the water, so, as long as the surface touching the die is copper (and it is), I don't see that as being an issue.

If you have a solid copper block the whole block dissipates heat to water not just the base. I do not claim to know how big of a difference this will make though.

The only thing a solid copper block would help with and by solid i mean top and bottom being copper is that if your waterpump fails the block would cool for a longer period of time . But the diffrence would most likely be less than a min as there is no longer any active cooling going on .

The other advantage is that you can sodder the block together creating a much better seal than an oring on a plasitc top

www.procooling.com is the beyond3d.com of the water world . Go read a bit

:oops:

Definitely glad I haven't picked up the DFI board yet. If only I could order that sapphire one now.

fallguy said:
You really dont know what you're talking about. No offense.

Statements like that are kind of silly. At least point out something rational.

Do you think that plastic transfers heat as efficiently as metal? And btw depending on your setup you can have a decently long time without your pump working. I had a pump go out on my setup and the cpu kept working for quite awhile. I noticed it was having errors and shut it down and found hte pump had crapped out but the computer was one for at least 5-10 minutes without any pumping at all. I think the long duration it lasted was more a function of the thickness of the base plate and the fact that it took a long time to heat up. Of course that means it likely cools less efficiently when it is working as it is supposed to.

I would rather have one of these personally.
http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/mcw6002-64.gif

Water has a much higher heat capacity then copper you know. So the imact of a solid copper block is negiligable when compared to the impact of the water, even if it's not pumping. So the plastic housing makes ZERO difference.

DudeMiester said:
Water has a much higher heat capacity then copper you know. So the imact of a solid copper block is negiligable when compared to the impact of the water, even if it's not pumping. So the plastic housing makes ZERO difference.

Yeah but the heat needs to get conducted from the crappy Al heatspreader of modern CPUs to the water. So, ideally, you'd probably want to remove the heatspreader and get a copper waterblock. Copper is FAR better at thermal conduction than aluminum. Actually, I've heard that someone is making a pure silver waterblock for ~$150. :LOL:

Those heatspreaders are certainly a huge problem for extreme cooling gurus. The application of thermal paste underneath is often anything but ideal, and it's just another layer that reduces efficiency of heat transfer. Hence the reason the mobile chips don't have the heatspreader at all. It takes up space, and it reduces thermal transfer, and that's not good when you need to get that heat out with huge space limitations in your heatsink design.

Heat capacity and thermal conductivity are different as well. I would bet that the thermal conductivity in water is slow compared to CU. Otherwise you could turn your pump off and the heat radiator would still work like a giant heat pipe.

Heat capacity I would assume defeats the purpose of a thermal conductor, in fact this give me an idea. It would be better to find a fluid with a much lower heat capcity than water, b/c all the high heat capacity means is that it takes a long time to heat it, but once it is hot it no longer makes a difference (the steady state temperature is determined not by capacity, but by conductance).

Anyway
Heat capacity in Celsius/J/g
Aluminum 0.902
Copper 0.385
Water 4.179
Air 1.01

So anyway It seems that if we found a liquid with a lower heat capacity but higher conductivity it might actually work better.

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/thermal/conduction/
(~300 K except where otherwise indicated)
k (W/m·K)
aluminum 237
copper 401
mercury 8.34
gold 317
carbon, graphite (∥) 1950
carbon, graphite (⊥) 5.7
carbon, diamond 895
silver 429
water, liquid(373 K) 0.679

So we need graphite heat sinks really :p
And btw that means if it is in the parallel direction, for those that do not know graphite is basically a series of hexagonal sheets, and this leaves out an electron for each hexagon that bonds to the sheet next to it, thus in the parralel direction (along the sheet) all kinds of great properties are acheived, but in the perpiducular direction things are not so rosy.

And yes mercury looks like it would make a great liquid till you died a horrible death :p

Maybe if nothing else pure ethanol could be used, I wonder personally whether I could make a heat pipe dype system on a large scale I actually kind of want to try it. Ethanol or something would boil in the heat sink and the vapor would condenst in the radiator. If you had a vertical radiator I bet it would work (liquid collects at the bottom and runs into CPU water block to boil again). Sounds fun till it explodes I guess.

heh heh heh... Maybe one could wear some crazy rubber suit when loading the system up with mercury! I mean, c'mon, isn't a little madness (literally) worth almost 16x the conduction of water!!!

Also, graphite must be madly expensive in that config or you'd think heatsink manufacturers would be using it for at least 1U cooling..... That is one serious improvement in thermal conductivity there. One of my several Mech Eng friends left me with the following choice quote over AIM. "That's f*&#ing impossible unless you have thousands of $.... It's a bitch to fabricate [too]".

Maybe I'll run over to Fleet Farm and grab some graphite powder, mix it with AS epoxy, and mold it into a mondo heatsink!!!!! 8) :oops:

No one uses just plain water in their water cooled system. Some of you really look hard for something to argue about...... ;)

Sxotty said:
Do you think that plastic transfers heat as efficiently as metal?
But the metal top cover isn't in contact with any part of the die. The only way it could transfer any heat whatsoever is by heat dissipating across from the base through the relatively thin side walls and then back across towards the center of the top of the waterblock. Unrealistic to say the least, because the waterblock is sort of designed to extract the heat from the die as quickly as possible. It's not supposed to seep through to the edges. Besides, heat conduction in copper is slow and inefficient, that's why swiftech's giant copper plate helicoid pin heatsinks get spanked by thermalright's heatpipe/aluminium fin heatsinks...

Therefore, an all-copper waterblock would not make any noticeable difference, I'll wager.

Back