World Airforce

liverkick said:
I guess I bothered the hive by saying the terrain looks like ass. :)

Hard to tell much difference in that short trailer, and it isnt direct feed. Clouds look nice though.

Compare AC5 (ps2) terrain with the World Airforce capture.

ace-combat-5-the-unsung-war-20041005095931704.jpg

929256_20050726_screen003.jpg

Like I said I hope its just a placeholder. I agree with Shifty, I'd like to see a huge jump in detail on the environment itself on next gen flight games to go along with all the other expected advancements. Personally I cant wait to see how next gen Ace Combat is going to turn out.

Heh, that explains why I had the feeling I had already seen these screenshots. :p

Im sorry, what was fake about that IGN shot again? Because it was frame buffer? The terrain texture looks exactly the same from that height on my Wega. Oh, the one you provided showed the textures up close so they look a lot worse. Wow ya dont say? Like every other AC game in history.

:rolleyes:

The comparison is more than apt. The World Airforce terrain in that capture looks worse than a game on previous generation hardware, and I hope its not indicitive of the final product.

Really? These two shots from G-A don't look similar, so I'm thinking one is a cutscene/replay and one is in-game. Is the difference in AA and lighting on the planes so pronounced? Does the ground detail improve in replays?

Pete said:
Really? These two shots from G-A don't look similar, so I'm thinking one is a cutscene/replay and one is in-game. Is the difference in AA and lighting on the planes so pronounced? Does the ground detail improve in replays?

Not in replays, but in general with AC games the ground "detail" improves the further you're away from it. ;)

Aliasing is worse in game than in replays (its not as bad as those captures on my set though). Regardless my point was the terrain at that distance is of the same quality, and I'd certainly expect an improvement on a next gen flight game. So I stand by my assessment that World Airforce's terrain looks like raw booty. :)

ralexand said:
liverkick said:
I guess I bothered the hive by saying the terrain looks like ass. :)

Hard to tell much difference in that short trailer, and it isnt direct feed. Clouds look nice though.

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/a...combat-5-the-unsung-war-20041005095931704.jpg
How about showing a real screen of Ace Combat.
ace-combat-5-the-unsung-war-20041025095619392.jpg

hmmm i have AC5 and it sure doenst look like that. this game looks good but the first thing i thougth when i saw the screens was AC5.

Mintmaster said:
Personally I think this makes it look more realistic. There should be a good depth of field in a game like this. Have either of you seen the movie True Lies? Remember when the camera was looking down on the Harrier, and you could see the street below? The latter was focussed too sharply, so it looked too obviously superimposed.
Just went looking for a real-life example of what things should look like.
eurofighter-2.jpg

Of course it depends on the lens type as the wider the angle and smaller the aperture, the less DOF you'd get.
Here's another...
050221_eurofighter.jpg

The terrain are from two totally different heights. It's obvious it'll look better at higher altitudes...

BTW I think we should stop with the downscaled highresoluiton PS2 devkit PR shots.

ace-combat-5-the-unsung-war-20041021021425439.jpg

ace-combat-5-the-unsung-war-20040930030523062.jpg

ace-combat-5-the-unsung-war-20041005095924938.jpg

The difference between the two will be that one looks like complete turd in-game PS2 AC5 while the other won't. It seems like the WA screenshot has heat haze coming out from the afterburners of the fights too. 8)

but in general with AC games the ground "detail" improves the further you're away from it.

Isn't this true with other air combat games as well? BTW look at that WA screenshot again. It's nowhere as high as the other AC5 pics you posted. I wouldn't be surprised if WA looked a lot better than AC5 at the same altitudes. The fighters defintely look a lot better.

Back