wlan access point?

Npl

Veteran
hi,

my parents house is an old building with 2 floors and fat walls (for the most part). I finally went around to lay a couple cables this sommer to allow some network functionality.
1 wlan router sits on the upper floor, quite close to the telephone line coming from the street outside, goes then to a gigabit switch in the upper living room and from there I laid 2 lines straigth across the house.
Wlan coverage is naturally horrible and only covering the adjoining room - the upper living room is street side, the lower is garden-side at the diagonal other end.

I`d like to put an accesspoint there, idealy putting it above the inner door so a good portion of the house and garden could be covered directly or with one wall / "bounce" in between.
Now today there is no switch downstairs, but if I need one I`d put it to the tv which would be a rather unfortunate place for an wlan antenna, so a simple cable to an unobtrusive access point above the door would be best.

From what I gathered I came across these points/issues:
  • simple wlan access-points are significantly more expensive than comparable routers
  • most wlan routers cant fully move their antennas and are expected to lay on a table
  • just screwing an antenna above the door would need a long cable - and thats not recommended for signal degradation
  • ideally id like a router/AP with Poe? one less cable to plaster to the wall in the living room.
  • can I use the same ssid/pw to allow devices to seemless switch to the strongest signal?

Would be grateful for tips on this, I feel like there is a certain lack of information for bringing up a network with multiple Wlan AP (asside from some horrible hacks like wireless Bridges).

PoE AP/Repeater seems to be the best bet for you as it simplifies cabling, but you need PoE switch.

You can set your wireless network on the same SSID and with 95% of devices this will work as normal roaming. If I remember correctly it's called WDS and comes with it's own set of drawbacks.

Long wi-fi cable AP->antenna have to be offset by higher gain antenna. I've worked with up to 20m cables, but optimum was 3-5m for <9dbi. Besides wi-fi quality cables and connectors cost money so to me PoE route is still best.

PS. Look for cheap wi-fi repeaters, they are around £30-£50 mark in UK for decent ones and usually are universal (AP, Bridge, Repeater). I'm using Netgear WN3000RP and it's great for it's price. There is nearly identical no name for £30 as well ;)

PoE AP/Repeater seems to be the best bet for you as it simplifies cabling, but you need PoE switch.

You can set your wireless network on the same SSID and with 95% of devices this will work as normal roaming. If I remember correctly it's called WDS and comes with it's own set of drawbacks.

Long wi-fi cable AP->antenna have to be offset by higher gain antenna. I've worked with up to 20m cables, but optimum was 3-5m for <9dbi. Besides wi-fi quality cables and connectors cost money so to me PoE route is still best.

PS. Look for cheap wi-fi repeaters, they are around £30-£50 mark in UK for decent ones and usually are universal (AP, Bridge, Repeater). I'm using Netgear WN3000RP and it's great for it's price. There is nearly identical no name for £30 as well ;)
Hmm, that netgear is no accesspoint i believe?
Atleast the docs just tell about providing an ethernetport for tv and such, acting as endpoint. I cant use a repeater as it more than likely wont connect to the wlan router.

had some "homeplug" there years ago, did barely work within a floor much less between. anyway thats solved now by... cables... cant beat cables!
wlan would be for phones & tablets, not a substitute for cables.Did I mention I like cables?

Homeplugs are great ("CPL", in French language), they were 100% stable when I used them just like when using a cable. But in some houses or buildings it can malfunction because of some weirdness or behaviour in the electrical installation.

I agree with Lightman about using tiny "repeaters" or routers or however you call them. These devices are effectively a computer with a wired network card and a wireless one.
One pretty well known among tinkerers is the very small TP-Link with ARM, 32MB RAM, 4MB ROM, to be used with OpenWRT (a low profile linux for routers and the like)
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

If things are that bad you can have one in every room you need wireless network access. Simplest thing is to use them as "bridges" and not even bothering encrypting, this means that being on the wireless network is exactly the same as if you were on the wired network. If that's a security concern to you you would need to set it as an AP and encrypted.
I did once set a very old ISP's modem and router as a bridge, found a firmware and instructions on how to flash it and I set it up as a bridge (wired ethernet end plugged into a "homeplug"). This made a free "extender" that allowed me wireless access in an adjacent building, albeit at 802.11b.

Back