Wish me luck - Job@nVidia

Hmm, now your hitting some political social issues. Probably best to not make any more comments about demos for ATi and social issues. On the nice side in the US you will have considerably less in the way of TAXES then in Sweden. ;) It would be worth it if you could get a Job with nvidia to make some sacrafices, IMHO. Anyhow again Good luck.

Sabastian

PS. It would probably be best for you to let this thread go.....but that is really your call I suppose.

Humus said:
I just suppose I'll have to adjust to how things are in america, I may need to get informed and get a little time to adjust.

Yep,it's very far from the Swedish way in companies over there...I read an ad where it stated 2 weeks payed holiday as a benefit...(which of course seem very weird to us Swedes)
I have a mate who went over there to work (he's Dutch) and he couldn't adjust to it,so he went home again after 3 or so months...but we all differ...
Whether you'll stay or not it's still a chance to get a really nice job and clearly worth it to give it a try and see if it suits you. :)

Just want to wish you good luck with the interview Humus.

I might add that i was in your situation some time ago (used to work for an American company).
And i can tell you that i was pretty nervous when i did the interview.
First an interview by phone and then i went down to Amsterdam for another interview.

Wasn't fun at all (well, the Amsterdam trip was fun but not the interviews :)) but all went well and i got the job.

Hope you'll have the same luck as i did.

/Björn

Humus,sorry for my late congrats! I just back from Shanghai....

Kris cover some bits on Work Visa,if u wanna more,just go google to search "Work VISA".

Actually one of my buddies got Work offer last year before 9.11,now he lives in Washington DC.the life is not bad,if u can sucessfully get the offer(not very difficult),u can even go with your wife. :p hmm,not your GF... :eek:

Thanks everyone for your support!
I'll be on my way within 12 hours now ... I'm beginning to get a little nervous now, but I'll survive, or so I hope :)

RiotSquad said:
Yep,it's very far from the Swedish way in companies over there...I read an ad where it stated 2 weeks payed holiday as a benefit...(which of course seem very weird to us Swedes)

I am curious, what do Swedes get for an annual vacation package?

LittlePenny said:
RiotSquad said:

I am curious, what do Swedes get for an annual vacation package?

We have five weeks paid vacation mandated by law. It's pretty sweet. ;)

7 hours and I'll be on the bus on the way to the airport. Guess I'll have to sacrifice some sleep tonight, still has some packing to do.

Just make sure they give you a complimentary GF4 4600 while you think about any offer they are giving you. Plus let ATI out bid them in any job opportunityy if they will. Working with the demo guys at ATI seems to me to be much more excitting (better demo's by far) than Nvidia's camp. Maybe that is the reason they are trying to recruit you, to get their demo's up to speed :).

Humus said:
I've also come to know from well meaning people that the mentality over there is very different from the one in Sweden, that in the US they expect as whole different kind of loyalty. In Sweden it would never be accepted if a company would dictate what employees can do and not on their spare time, what products to buy and use for their own hard earned money etc. If you visit a swedish company like Ericsson you'll find that several employees own Nokia cellular phones instead of Ericssons phones and use them on working time too, and it's not seen as a problem at all.

People don't have that kind of restriction in the US at all. To go with your Nokia example I know people at Motorola that walk around with competitor's phones. Companies like you to use their products, but they can't dictate what you spend your money on. People like to buy products from their own company, but in the end practicality (usually price) wins out.

Back again from the US. :)
The interview went well, or should I say the interviews as there were seven of them, each 30min talking to one guy at the time, except for the lunch interview which was an hour long.
The image of how the interview was going to be that I had before the interviews were that I would be sitting there in the middle with all these guys around me asking all kinds of hard to answer questions, but I didn't get any really hard questions, the mostly recurring questions were regarding details about my demos and how I implemented it.
Anyway, I think it's pretty much a safe bet that I'm going to do my examination work over there at least, the actual project is yet to be decided though, and unless they didn't like me I suppose I can continue to work there when my education is done.

The trip was kinda cool too. :) Never been farther than to finland before, so 1/3 around the earth was kinda far to go, haven't even travelled by airplane since I was a kid either. But I liked the place. Santa clara is a kinda beautyful and pieceful place, I think I could live there. I went to San Francisco too, had to see and walk the golden gate bridge. That bridge is HUGE, my feet hurt after having walked it too the middle and back. :) Saw the dark side of america too there though, homeless people living on the street, something that hardly exists in sweden. It feels a little sad when I see these guys homeless people living on the street, yet the streets were filled with lots of shiny new cars and people that obviously have quite a few dollars to spend. Oh, well ...
Loved the environment though, palms and other kinds of vegetations that doesn't exist in sweden. Saw some pretty nice places, some which I didn't even plan to see, but with my driving and orientation skills I ended up in many odd places :) Not that it mattered though, it was just nice to see more places. Have taken plenty of photos, I wish I had a digital camera, but I hope my crappy old camera could produce some decent pictures at least. I'll scan them in an publish them on my site when they are ready.

Good everything went well and you liked US. :)

You should try go to Japan to see what is a long trip ;)

San Francisco is a nice city, but I like more the old (before 1990) San Francisco. The Sea food is very good.

Great to hear you enjoyed your trip and everything went fine during the interviews!

But please, only walking the GGB half way? Tell you, it's much more fun to walk the whole way, making photos and video captures as you go along and finish it off by touching some mysteriously shimmering piece of metal only to find out your palm is now "International Orange". (don't ask, just see my nick ;-) )

cu

incurable

That does sound encouraging Humus, hope you find what you are looking for there. Also you might want to stay away from Polk Street in San Francisco ;).

I lived in Valejo/Napa California a number of years and also agree with you of the excellent climate there in San Francisco. You havn't really seen anything yet, California is a big state with an unbelievalbe amount of things to do or to explore.

Humus said:
Back again from the US. :).....
I went to San Francisco too, had to see and walk the golden gate bridge. That bridge is HUGE, my feet hurt after having walked it too the middle and back. :)...
Is that all? On a business trip we walked from Pier 39(?) all the way across and back. Mind you, I was a lot fitter then (now just fatter); also did the walk from the Yosemite valley floor to the top of the main falls. (That was tiring, but you got to see/hear a lot a wildlife, e.g. heard a rattle snake - Australian snakes don't give you any warning ;-) )

Saw some pretty nice places, some which I didn't even plan to see, but with my driving and orientation skills I ended up in many odd places :)
I know the feeling. Drove out of LA airport once and missed the freeway turning. Ended up driving towards south central LA not long after the riots with (as a colleague puts it) "cameras dangling out of the windows". A woman pulled up beside us and said "Are you guys lost? Wind your windows up, turn around, and get out of here". :)

incurable said:
But please, only walking the GGB half way? Tell you, it's much more fun to walk the whole way, making photos and video captures as you go along and finish it off by touching some mysteriously shimmering piece of metal only to find out your palm is now "International Orange". (don't ask, just see my nick ;-) )

Actually, I walked it a little longer than half, more like 2/3. Went to the second pillar. Planned to go the whole way, but my legs hurt already, and my ears too, the traffic is kinda load, so I turned. Oh well, I'll probably get more chances to walk it :)

Back