WindowsXP does not like my samsung syncmaster 215tw

I just bought this new monitor today. Was very disappointed when it continuously crashed WinXP. It'll display the progress bar when loading XP but before it gets to the logon screen the fans stop momentarily and the system restarts.

When I had a dual setup, the CRT monitor was showing a red screen but too short to get a screen capture. The samsung works fine in safe mode, and I tried disabling with hardware accel and write combine. I have a geforce6800 XT PCIe16x and AMD64 with 2 gigs of ram and ASUS motherboard. Anyone know what is going on?

It's likely the Direct Access feature in NVIDIA's driver going a bit loony tunes when talking to the Samsung. Got an old-ish driver running your 6800 XT by any chance?

If so, remove it in safe mode and maybe try something a bit new (Direct Access is disabled/removed IIRC), or if you still wish to run an 8x.xx driver maybe try something from NGOHQ, since they definitely disable it in their driver releases.

I used to have problems with the feature too, which sound very much like your problems. Of course I may be utterly off base, sorry if I am!

I totally forgot to mention I am running the latest drivers, Sept 2006 I think. I'm running out of energy, but I will do some research on direct access tommorow and hopefully I'll get some new leads. I'm also goign to call tech support for XFX and Samsung tommorow. When I find the solution i'll post it here for future reference.

Uninstall the Nvidia driver in safe mode. Boot into normal, reinstall the latest drivers.

See what this gets you.

Great tips guys, it turned out it was the driver. The problem started occuring with Forceware drivers after Feb 06. It works great now and can do Bf2 full screen on either monitor. Should I go to single display before playing fullscreen game? It looks like it is still rasterizing the second monitor which can take away performance?

Back