Windows XP SP2 download link from microsoft.com inside

jvd said:
Natoma said:
Yea JVD had to reinstall Windows XP after he installed SP2. :LOL:

I'd stay away from this for a couple of months until it's fully vetted.
hehe yea .

Suddenly i had no windows on my c drive haha

did you validate the check sums before the install? I slipstreamed mine into a windows xp install and formatted and installed it, runs fine.

Yes it's possible to slipstream Win XP SP2 into a WinXP bootable CD. However, when I tried that, the final size of the CD was over the older 650Meg limit, so be certain to use a 80minute cd-r.

Fabulous, I use DVD-Rs now for that stuff anyways. Cheers to microsoft, I just deployed it to 120 machines ( <3 SMS) !

So the consensus is it is pretty safe to install and even if it isn't it is gonna be the new defacto standard so go ahead and get it over with? :|

Just checking, I just finished downloading it.

thus far, we've noticed no problems. We pushed the SP to 120 machines in our labs and haven't noticed any issues. But it's only been a day!

joe emo said:
thus far, we've noticed no problems. We pushed the SP to 120 machines in our labs and haven't noticed any issues. But it's only been a day!
What labs are those? Alpha or Delta? :)
Good god, look at Dig's postcount! :oops: The number of the grandfather of the beast! :devilish:

Ok, bad jokes... Couldn't help it...

There is a GOOD Bug Report thread over at DSLReports.com
Basically reading through this bug report has put a halt on my updating about 5 systems at the moment.

Biggest problems:
Atapi.sys from 3rd parties tend to cause SP2 install to hang and not complete. (Alcohol 120% is one culprit) there is a work around.
NAV200x needs updating, there is/will be a fix.
Nero6 has problems (re: atapi.sys) there is a fix.
Custom Boot Screens (ex: Swissboy) cause windows not to start after updating for some, best to use original boot.ini before updating.
HD fragmentation from hell, in some situations, trouble defragging the drive afterwards as well.
Unwieldy Swap File Sizes for some users. Memory Leaks ? Maybe.
Problems using Windows Updates when Automatic Updates is disabled in the OS.
Security Center has fits (constant popups) when you don't have everything turned on and automated.
Some users report Networking issues behind routers or with docking laptops.
A Multitude of other various problems reported on a user by user basis.

Now i personally cannot confirm anyone of these listed bug problems. And I'm sure people got their favorite sites regarding SP2 bugs. But it seems the best results have come from Slipstreaming SP2 into a WinXP installation disc and starting from scratch. This way you don't get all the leftover "previous update" files scattered in the OS. I did run SP2 RC2 on another computer awhile back and ran into a boatload of problems. Mostly IE related. But for now i am on the fence regarding my final upgrade to SP2.

Chris_T said:
NAV200x needs updating, there is/will be a fix.
Nero6 has problems (re: atapi.sys) there is a fix.
I use Norton 2003 AV and haven't noticed any problems at all. Still works; I even tested it by doing a full system scan with a carefully controlled 'planted virus' and it caught it fine. No conflicts, though it does seem to take longer to load at boot.
HD fragmentation from hell, in some situations, trouble defragging the drive afterwards as well.
Given it replaces hundreds, possibly thousands, of files with ones of a different size this is inevitable. It's not a bug. I did a defrag afterwards (using VoptXP) with no problems.
Unwieldy Swap File Sizes for some users. Memory Leaks ? Maybe.
Haven't noticed this myself.
Problems using Windows Updates when Automatic Updates is disabled in the OS.
I visited the (web-based) Windows Update and it all seemed fine.
Security Center has fits (constant popups) when you don't have everything turned on and automated.
There are options to tell it "I have my own Firewall" and "I have my own AV solution". Once I did that it never bugged me again. However, it was very bad at detecting if I did have these - failed to identify I had a firewall or AV (despite Tiny Firewall and Norton 2003 being pretty popular).

A Multitude of other various problems reported on a user by user basis.
One thing I did notice was a marked increased in activity on my firewall, pretty random incoming requests to ports 1024-1027 from various IPs (non-microsoft).

Back